The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

richardman

My first 4x5 and my first time using Scheimpflug. This is on a Chamonix 4x5 F1 with asymmetrical back tilt. It takes only one focus and one tilt to get it to work. Sweet.

The tones of 4x5 is just amazing. I made (sorry, I only do post and print using computer) a 17x22 print and the quality is astonishing, but you all know this. I am a noob later comer :)

petetsai

Starting to get the hang of this large format.

Valencia

Shot with the Deardorff V8, Portra 400 rated at 320, 14" Commercial Etkar f6.3 @ f11 1/50th 2 light Elinchrom ranger and quadra with 16" maxi lite and 26" softbox.

Valencia by PeteTsai, on Flickr

richardman

"At the Edge of Torrents"

My daughter and I went to the coast yesterday, which we usually do once or twice a year. I watched the waves coming over the rock "wall" with the sea palms for about 15 mins and found a spot about 25 feet from the rock wall for a photo. All these times, the wave only reached about 10 feet beyond the wall (yes, you can see where this is going, don't you?)

Then my daughter went back up for a moment, and I started to focus on the far side - the waves beyond the wall. This is with my head inside the dark cloth behind the 4x5 camera.

I saw a couple waves went over, and then I saw this big wave coming over on the ground glass and thinking to myself, hmmm... that wave looks kind of big... "Oh Sh*$%^t" and my legs got wet. Removing my head from the dark cloth, I saw that there were some spray on my camera and my camera bag 4 feet further away got soaked.

Fortunately my film holders were in ziplock bags and they were OK. Some lens got some spray. I wiped them and dried them as much as I could. I moved back another 10 feet, finally took some photos, and watched the waves some more, and for another 30 minutes or more, no wave ever reached that far again....

In any case, when we got home, I disassembled, washed, and cleaned the lens.

I hope this is all worth it!

Lars

"At the Edge of Torrents"

My daughter and I went to the coast yesterday, which we usually do once or twice a year. I watched the waves coming over the rock "wall" with the sea palms for about 15 mins and found a spot about 25 feet from the rock wall for a photo. All these times, the wave only reached about 10 feet beyond the wall (yes, you can see where this is going, don't you?)

Then my daughter went back up for a moment, and I started to focus on the far side - the waves beyond the wall. This is with my head inside the dark cloth behind the 4x5 camera.

I saw a couple waves went over, and then I saw this big wave coming over on the ground glass and thinking to myself, hmmm... that wave looks kind of big... "Oh Sh*$%^t" and my legs got wet. Removing my head from the dark cloth, I saw that there were some spray on my camera and my camera bag 4 feet further away got soaked.

Fortunately my film holders were in ziplock bags and they were OK. Some lens got some spray. I wiped them and dried them as much as I could. I moved back another 10 feet, finally took some photos, and watched the waves some more, and for another 30 minutes or more, no wave ever reached that far again....

In any case, when we got home, I disassembled, washed, and cleaned the lens.

I hope this is all worth it!

Oh it was worth it - great shot. And a learning experience. :)

This all sounds familiar :) I once set up my 8x10 on a beach in Australia literally in the surf. waves came in ever 15 seconds or so, reaching between four and five feet up. I held on to the tripod when each surge came, then between waves set up the camera, and finally ran up to the dry to get a film holder and then back down again to grab the tripod for the next surge. Everything worked out well, great experience although perhaps it wasn't one of my best shots.

richardman

Due to the composition of the rocks, wind and water erosion, you can find some very interesting patterns and and shapes at the California coast.

richardman

"The magic Colorize button"
So looking at the scanned Acros-100 B&W image, I notice that Photoshop 12.6 BETA6.6 has a "Colorize" button. When I clicked on it, I like it even better than the original. What do you think?

Just kidding of course. I finally got new batch of color chemical and yes, I do like this version even more!

JoelM

Sergei,

Your lighting and portrait technique would translate to any format to produce first rate photographs. Just absolutely stunning portraits.

Joel