The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

richardman

Ted Grant is a national treasure of Canada. He photographed Prime Minister Trudeau sliding down a banister and Ben Johnson winning the Gold (and then lost it later due to drug violation). Travel photos, Queen Elizabeth, he has done it all. His photography mantra is KISS (Keep it Simple...) Back in the days, he would run around with 3 Leica Ms on his neck, and then one or two Leica R with long lens.

And he's an incredibly generous, funny person. My wife and I had the privilege to share an afternoon with him. The Leica M9 photoset is here:

It was somewhat surreal that after some niceties, that I brought in my 4x5, and of course I had the wrong film etc. So a mistake :-/ Nevertheless, with the magic of Lightroom, an image can be seen:

JeRuFo

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The mirrored image is quite a bit darker, except for some leaves on the right, which might be close in brightness. I did up the contrast of the water a little, to make it look less muddy. This jpg does look more contrasty than the print, this is downsized from the actual print file. But even that doesn't really look lifelike, as the forest was actually in color ;)

richardman

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The mirrored image is quite a bit darker, except for some leaves on the right, which might be close in brightness. I did up the contrast of the water a little, to make it look less muddy.
I think the patch of clouds in the background is lighter on the reflection....

JeRuFo

Oh that. The very light trees you see above the water are so far away that you can't see them in the reflection, so the lightest patch there is actually the reflection of the sky/fog that you see higher up between the trees, which is a defintely darker in the reflection. I didn't work on the contrast of that bright patch separately, I only changed the overall contrast of that area, so i can't possibly differ that much from the trees right next to it and those are definetely darker in the reflection.

richardman

I strong encourage more people to post on this thread so I don't feel like it's just me posting :)

Elkhorn Slough, I walked all ~6 miles of trail with 20+ lbs bag. Well worth it....

AlanS

MPP, 90mm 6.8 Angulon & FP4 HC110.
I believe this was taken in the far NW of Scotland.....

richardman

Tasu and Ivy's photo on the left was taken in Jan 2014 and in fact was the first photo taken for the project. I have taken "casual" photos of them then in March or so, but as the project evolves, I thought that a different pose would be better. Even though they live less than 20 miles away, finding the time to get together turns out to be difficult. Finally though, a couple days ago they showed up during the only day this week that isn't raining and I finally got the photo I want.

For the https://www.facebook.com/Transformations.CosplayPortraits project

richardman

Hey Hey, I have been using Vuescan for 10+ years, but since switching to color negs, I have been struggling with the color balance. Finally, I opened the Silverfast SE CD that comes with the Epson V700 and tried their "NegFix" with builtin profile for the Portra 160VC, and...

Not bad! It needs more tweaking but clearly much closer to the goal without any work than the Vuescan version!

richardman

Foveon, I have been mainly shooting B&W and Provia for over 10 years. For my new project with the 4x5, I'm feeling some limitations of slides, regarding dynamic range, so I am switching to color negs (Portra 160). With the SilverFast, now I feel comfortable switching to this process.

There is of course nothing like looking at a 4x5 or larger Provia/Velvia... (too young to start with Ektachrome :) )