The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

richardman

Me: "OMG, you look great! Can I take your photo in my studio setup?" (we know this cannot be a pickup line as my wife was right next to me)

Helen: "Wait until tomorrow, I will be smokin' Hot."

I waited, and they were.

Harry

Chamonix 045N-2, Nikkor-W 90 4.5, Fomapan 100, 25s@f32​
Stunning image.... Very 3D

After trying to figuring out why, I think the bottom section of the front tree on the left really has a tonal gradience that creates the mood

JeRuFo

Stunning image.... Very 3D

After trying to figuring out why, I think the bottom section of the front tree on the left really has a tonal gradience that creates the mood
Thank you, Harry.

Yes, that part probably helps a lot. For me that is the first focus point in the picture. That tree is quite isolated, so it's good that there is some interesting light on it.
Not quite sure what created that light. The light was only slightly directional. Maybe an opening in the canopy. I visited the spot about a week ago and the light wasn't there without the leaves on the trees.

Chris Beards

Hi Chris, How do you find the Jobo processor with sheet film. I have been considering getting one but concerned it won't give me very even development in sky areas. Yours look fine are they as even as this out of the tank or have you applied post scan processing? I have dish processed 4x5 for many years without issues, but all the manual daylight tanks I have tried in the past have given very poor results.

richardman

Hi Chris, How do you find the Jobo processor with sheet film. I have been considering getting one but concerned it won't give me very even development in sky areas. Yours look fine are they as even as this out of the tank or have you applied post scan processing?
Chris, I am not the person you are asking per se, but all my films (BW, C41, E6) are all processed using the Jobo. FOr 4x5, I use the 2509n reels.

Chris Beards

Hi Richard thanks for your reply I really like the images from your Transformations project.
I work in monochrome with a view camera and much of my work includes large areas of even tone, sky/seascapes etc hence my interest in the work Chris posted above. Clearly these areas of even tone are very unforgiving of any processing issues, to avoid neg damage and even development I dish process FP-4 individually, a somewhat time consuming task when on has six or more sheet to deal with. When I have tried daylight tank systems in the past I have always had streaks and uneven edges caused by eddies generated from systems which use spiral or rack type film holders. As the Jobo appears to hold film flat in the larger tanks I was wondering if this system might be of interest to me.

JeRuFo

I've had some problems with uneven development too, but didn't try it long enough to pin it on the processor for sure. I do use the jobo tank and 2509n reel still, but process by hand and don't use the processor anymore for b&w. Weirdly I've never had a problem like that with C41 or E6. It could have to do with the developer. I also find it easier to do it by hand instead of filling the whole processor and letting it get the temperature exactly right. I often just process a few sheets, so I don't want to spend half an hour setting everything up.

richardman

Hi Richard thanks for your reply I really like the images from your Transformations project.
I work in monochrome with a view camera and much of my work includes large areas of even tone, sky/seascapes etc hence my interest in the work Chris posted above. Clearly these areas of even tone are very unforgiving of any processing issues, ...
Chris, thanks for the kind words. I don't know if the following helps, but these two have some sky. They have been post processed but hopefully you can see if there are evidence of uneven development or streaks. It's actually blue sky here in California today, so may be I will burn a couple sheets of B&W and see how they look. What aperture do you use? Large or small?

Chris Beards

Thank you for your thoughts and efforts gents, Richard the two images you posted look fine to me on screen. One has to examine the negatives, as JeRuFo states it may be an issue with the type of developer. The main evidence I am describing is an area of increased density next to where the negative has been in contact with the spiral (or similar) edge, or where developer rushes through slots or gaps during the development process. The phenomena is only really a problem in open areas of tone as it would be lost in darker detailed areas. If you are interested it popping a sheet of film through the system that would be great, I use apertures f22/f32 on a 180 Symmar but I don't think this matters much as it is a development issue. Thanks again guys.