The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

chrism

I've been hanging out in the analog camera forum and in the last month got a Crown Graphic and started to see what the fuss is about. These two are posted over there, but this thread needs to be kept going!

CrownGraphic, Schneider 127mm/f4.7, HP5+, Rodinal semistand, Hasselblad X1 scan:

CrownGraphic, Apo-Sironar S 210mm/f5.6, HP5+, Rodinal semistand, X1 scan:

This madness is quite addicting, so there is a Chamonix N2 in my future. In a couple of months the weather here will begin to improve so I hope I'll be able to get out and do something with it!

Chris

johnnygoesdigital

Chris, nice set up! I love the stark contrast of winter when shooting black and white, but I understand your feelings towards Spring. We had 11 f below zero here last week.

JeRuFo

This image really speaks to me, nicely done.
I had to send my brand new Ebony 4x5 back because of a manufacturing defect. I'm going to replace it with the Chamonix 045-n2. Keep up the inspiration!

Thanks Johnny. The Chamonix is a nice camera for the money. It is no match for an Ebony in terms of precision, but I've never had a problem with it, because it is such a small camera, you can easily fasten everything down. Even in heavy wind it is plenty stable. (I used it in winds so rough it blew my gg-protector off the side of the hill, never to be seen again)
If I would get one in a bigger format I would like separate knobs for rise/fall and tilt and probably a better, more comfortable, way of controlling swing and shift. But overall I like it, it has been problem free, although my fresnel is touching my ground glass in one big spot in the middle and leaves newton rings.

chrism

Minus 15C today, and a vicious windchill. All the same, I went out with camera and tripod.

Crown Graphic, Schneider 127mm/f4.7 @f16 and 1/250, HP5+, Rodinal stand and X1 scan:

Chris

chrism

Hog away, Richard! I've lots to learn and I'm enjoying the inspiration.

Crown Graphic, Apo-Sironar 210mm, HP5+, Rodinal, X1 scan:

Chris

richardman

"Azreal the Angel of Death and the Queen of the Damned"

I love doing this project also because the stories I hear, cosplay that: brought a couple together; made a sister bond stronger; brought awareness of her Asperberger to the cosplayer; and now brought tears to a loving mother's eyes when her son won in a masquerade contest for the most amazing wing work I have ever seen...

For the https://www.facebook.com/Transformations.CosplayPortraits project

richardman

Lindsay, the masquerade director said in response to my posting: "Watching her cry tears of joy as I handed her rosettes almost made me lose it myself."

SHV

"but I don't want to HOG the whole bleeping thread XD"
That's OK, I'll suffer through your 4x5 posts.:>) Your large format color photos are an amazing record of an activity that I didn't know existed.

Steve

pgmj

Chamonix 045N-1 with Rodenstock Sironar-N 150/5.6 MC on Fujifilm Acros 100 4x5". Scanned with Epson V700 and standard film holder. The lab seems to have messed the neg up a bit on the right hand side. Not sure how to clean it up without making it worse?

JeRuFo

That's a nice image. Love the light on the bridge and the shadows in the trees makes them look extra twisty and alive.

I think the problem is bigger than just on the right side of the negative. The whole top of the frame looks pretty cloudy from not fixing it correctly or possibly uneven development. The stain on the right looks almost like a streak or a drip mark. You could try and soak it in stop bath for a while and then re-washing to see if it is water residue. If that doesn't help I would try some time in the fixer and then washing it again. Both options should be harmless. If it is uneven development, then there is nothing you can do, I think.
If you don't have the chemicals I would just ask the lab, they created the problem in the first place. Doesn't look very professional to develop a negative like this.

chrism

I have only two, a Linhof Schneider 127mm and an Apo-Sironar N 210mm. They should hold me while I figure out what I'm doing.

C.

johnnygoesdigital

The sironar N is a great lens, I'm not familiar with the 127mm. I'll be using the Fujinon 240 A and hopefully a 135/150mm Sironar and a 80mm XL.that should round out my hiking lenses. Enjoy your Chammy!

AlanS

Linhof SC std, 90mm f8, Super Angulon, FP4 HC110...

Mmmmm... messed the crop at the top up!

chrism

I managed to figure out how to cram the view camera, lenses, film holders, tripod, dark cloth, loupe, spotmeter, cable release and sanity pills into my Crumpler Sinking Barge and marched out. "I might be some time" I said to the cats, who shrugged their shoulders and serenely continued evincing supreme unconcern. On the other side of the village is an old wharf where schooners were once built, but the only thing launched there now is the odd kayak in the summer. It's mostly used for picnics and the important business of keeping mosquitos and blackflies well fed. It was -10ºC and the wind was gusting around 70km/hr, so it was all rather bracing.

Across the French River:

Trevor's Place:

Both using the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N 210mm/f5.6 @f16, FP4+, HC-110 (Dil.G) for one hour, and Hasselblad X1 scans.

Chris

chrism

Bayhead, Nova Scotia.
-11ºC, Chamonix 045N-2, Schneider Kreuznach 127mm/f4.7 @f11, 1/60, Ilford FP4+ @125, Diafine, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Chris