The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

DougDolde

JeRuFo

Amazing tonality, I don't think even my IQ180 is that nuanced, but haven't done much black and white with it.
Thank you. No, I don't think an MFDB can quite match it yet, though images from high MP backs come close in resolution to 4x5. LF is shooting with a low stressed lens on a very high resolution medium and MF shooting incredibly corrected lenses on a medium with limited resolution. The LF way gives more possibilities to allow for some rendering character, with MF you would lose too much resolution. But there are no technical advancements on the horizon for LF, so MF will catch up in resolution soon. Luckily you can't quite match the look of LF on a smaller format, so there will hopefully still be a place for film for a bit.
For now LF is a cheap way to get into the high resolution game and I wonder why not more people go this route.

viablex1

This is an older image because I no longer shoot 4x5 film but it's a favorite from the Trona Pinnacles. Shot on Provia F 100 likely with the Schneider Super Symmar 110mm XL lens. I call it "The Guardian" but I doubt it has a real official name.

It was scanned by E-6 Film Processing | Digital Scanning | Slide Imprinting | Historical Processor Chrome | AGX Imaging Mike does a great job using a Hasselblad X5 for $12.50 a shot any film size up to 4x5 and 617.View attachment 115073
nice , yes Mike is cool I need to get some of my images up that way to scan

AlanS

Amazing tonality, I don't think even my IQ180 is that nuanced, but haven't done much black and white with it.
Despite my best efforts I can't get digital to give me the look (tonality) I get from 4x5 b & w negs. :(

scho

This time of year I get sentimental feelings for film photography so I pulled out some old negatives and dusted off the scanner to re-awaken my sentiments. These are a few 1600 ppi scans of Polaroid type 55 negs shot 11 years ago with my 4x5. All scanned with an Epson 700 at about 1600 ppi with VueScan. Processed in LR and then toned with a proofing QTR-icc profile made for printing with the Canon iPF6100 on Canson Platine with a neutral warm curve developed for the TrueBW RIP. I'm also going to take the 4x5 out again and shoot some of the old Type 55 I have in storage to see if it will still hold and image.

Wagon Wheels, Wayne Meyer's reconstructed mill in Spencer, NY

Upper falls i Taughannock Gorge, Trumansburg, NY

Lower falls, Taughannock Gorge, Trumansburg, NY

Upper Treman Gorge, Enfield, NY

Upper Buttermilk Gorge, Ithaca, NY

bensonga

This time of year I get sentimental feelings for film photography so I pulled out some old negatives and dusted off the scanner to re-awaken my sentiments. These are a few 1600 ppi scans of Polaroid type 55 negs shot 11 years ago with my 4x5. All scanned with an Epson 700 at about 1600 ppi with VueScan. Processed in LR and then toned with a proofing QTR-icc profile made for printing with the Canon iPF6100 on Canson Platine with a neutral warm curve developed for the TrueBW RIP. I'm also going to take the 4x5 out again and shoot some of the old Type 55 I have in storage to see if it will still hold and image.
Hi Carl. I have two boxes of Polaroid Type 55 4x5 film in my refrigerator that I bought just before it was discontinued. I had never shot Polaroid film before, but figured someday I would like to give it a try. Perhaps when the spring of 2016 arrives here in Alaska, I will finally do that. Thanks for posting these photos and reminding me of that film. Unlike wine, it probably doesn't get better with age.

Gary

scho

Hi Carl. I have two boxes of Polaroid Type 55 4x5 film in my refrigerator that I bought just before it was discontinued. I had never shot Polaroid film before, but figured someday I would like to give it a try. Perhaps when the spring of 2016 arrives here in Alaska, I will finally do that. Thanks for posting these photos and reminding me of that film. Unlike wine, it probably doesn't get better with age.

Gary
True, but like wine type 55 price does increase with age (eBay). :bugeyes:

chrism

I'm not up to stomping around outside today, so I pestered Isabelle Adjani until she let me take her photo.

Chamonix 10x8, Kenthene grade 2 glossy RC paper, Nikkor-M 300mm/f9, exposed at f32, five seconds preflash through a sheet of white paper, then 15 seconds of the subject, Ilford Multigrade developer, Epson V850 scan:

Egoïste by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

chrism

I spent a little time in the driveway today. First shot illustrates what you can do with camera movements—see how the left side of the headlight is in focus, and so is the right side of the window on the house?

Front_Swing by chrism229, on Flickr

To get that the camera looked like this:

Chamonix_Movements by chrism229, on Flickr

Chamonix 045N-2, Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N 210mm/f5.6, FP4+ @200, Diafine, X1 scans.

Chris

chrism

My first try with Galaxy paper—I contributed to their Kickstarter about six months ago, and they went to Russia to get some paper coated with a fast emulsion, and it arrived this week. Many people were annoyed when the purported reversal paper turned out to be ordinary (but fast) paper, with reversal processing required. Harman make a direct reversal paper and it was hoped this would be the same. For myself, I am happy with the product save for one annoyance. Most photographic printing paper has an ISO of 3. This is said to be 125, and I metered it that way, allowed for a third of a stop of bellows compensation—my 450mm lens was extended to 600mm to focus this close—and it came out just right. My only problem is that when looked at 100% magnification there are all sorts of black speckles on the film. I don't think these are from my water supply.

Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor 450mm/f9, Galaxy paper negative, Ilford Multigrade developer, Epson V850 scan:

Pippa 2016 #3 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Lars

My first try with Galaxy paper—I contributed to their Kickstarter about six months ago, and they went to Russia to get some paper coated with a fast emulsion, and it arrived this week. Many people were annoyed when the purported reversal paper turned out to be ordinary (but fast) paper, with reversal processing required. Harman make a direct reversal paper and it was hoped this would be the same. For myself, I am happy with the product save for one annoyance. Most photographic printing paper has an ISO of 3. This is said to be 125, and I metered it that way, allowed for a third of a stop of bellows compensation—my 450mm lens was extended to 600mm to focus this close—and it came out just right. My only problem is that when looked at 100% magnification there are all sorts of black speckles on the film. I don't think these are from my water supply.

Chamonix 10x8, Nikkor 450mm/f9, Galaxy paper negative, Ilford Multigrade developer, Epson V850 scan:

Pippa 2016 #3 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
Very interesting for sure. Here is a link: http://galaxy-paper.com/
Any chance you can show a close up with the black specks visible?
-Lars

JeRuFo

Sunrise in Glen Coe, Scotland
TMX 4x5 in Rodinal 1+50

I saw more photo opportunities in the one morning I spend there than I did in the 9 days I was there in february 2013. Unfortunately you can only be in one spot for sunrise, especially a cloudless one like this.

AlanS

Refreshing version of a classic, well done:thumbup: And yes Scotland can be sooo frustrating but well worth it when the stars align.

JeRuFo

Refreshing version of a classic, well done:thumbup: And yes Scotland can be sooo frustrating but well worth it when the stars align.
Thank you.
That's very true. It is hard to plan where to go with the weather. But perseverance sometimes pays off and you are in the right spot and have the camera ready.

mathomas

I continue to experiment, now with a used Arca Swiss F-line (171mm standards) from KEH. Such a nice camera, and relatively portable given the right rail setup.

"Product Shot" of my Pioneer RT-707. Just playing around with camera movements in my house, with a bit of lighting provided by an LED array (I usually use these for my YouTube videos).

pioneer rt-707 "product shot" by Mike Thomas, on Flickr

Further experimentation with a new lens (Schneider 120mm Super-Symmar), and really, extremely, very expired Tri-X 320 (grainy in the shadows -- any hints?):

littleton cemetary by Mike Thomas, on Flickr