The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

routlaw

Rob

... The gras in the foreground moved softly in the wind , like very soft waves of an ocean...

I have been in this area for about 7 hours and did not meet a single human being . My ears got so sensitive , that I could hear the slightest noise .

Jürgen
Jurgen

You just gotta love it when that happens!

Rob

Francois_A

Beautiful image Rob!
It reminds me pictures from Eliot Porter's Southwest b&w.
Your images have the subtlety, richness of tones and 3d look of those 8x10 and 11x14 contact prints.

We've all heard the argument that anything above 360 ppi is wasted, and therefore my Canon 5D should produce a perfect 8x10, indistinguishable from an 8x10 produced by any higher resolution cameras, yet my eyes tell me that there is a difference, that something is missing, and that those contact prints and Rob's images are in another league.

routlaw

Many thanks Jack.

Beautiful image Rob!
It reminds me pictures from Eliot Porter's Southwest b&w.
Your images have the subtlety, richness of tones and 3d look...

...and therefore my Canon 5D should produce a perfect 8x10, indistinguishable from an 8x10 produced by any higher resolution cameras, yet my eyes tell me that there is a difference, that something is missing, and that those contact prints and Rob's images are in another league.
Francois thats some pretty serious company your putting me with, but thanks for the encouragement.

If its any consolation please understand I often (make that almost always) edit an image, then re-edit several times before I get it right (if ever) even with the Betterlight. Regardless of the gear the whole process can be a very humbling experience... well at least for me. With that workflow suffice it to say I am not a "drive by shooter".

Make no mistake however, these backs do produce a file unlike anything else I have seen, except for perhaps the multi shot MFDB's. There is a clarity, and depth to the values, and hues (when working with color) which seems veiled and opaque with bayer sensors.

Thanks again.

Rob

bensonga

Since I haven't shot any LF film recently, I have to go back a few years for this one. Early 1980s, taken with my first 4x5 monorail view camera (a Cambo something or other). Probably a Rodenstock Sironar 150mm lens. I sort of remember hauling my camera up to the top of a parking garage to get this photo. At the time, I didn't have a car....so I had the camera in it's big case on a luggage trolley...with a Majestic tripod on my shoulder. Believe it or not, they would let me on a Minneapolis transit bus with all this gear. The things we will do for a photo when we are young and determined!

From my hometown of Minneapolis, Minnesota....the Foshay Tower. Built in 1929, it was known as the "first skyscraper west of the Mississippi River".

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga

Another building in Minneapolis from the 1980s. Cambo and Rodenstock 150, as best I can recall.

Gary

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Great shot, what are you scanning with?

First of all , thanks to Gary Benson , who opened this thread . A great thread with lots of good B/W images .
I like to see all the B/W images and I must say , it turns me on to get my 4x5 ARCA out again and get it back to work .

Now , the image with the three rock monsters was scanned with an AGFA DUO SCAN 2400 . That scanner is the predecessor of my MICROTEK ARTIXSCAN F1 . I still have both scanners .
The F1 results are rather good , but the scanner is also rather slow .
If you need a faster and also better scanner , you will also have to invest a lot more money . Scanning live can be very hard .
I have written a first impression thread in an other forum .
So if you are interested in that , just PM me .

Regards Jürgen

bensonga

First of all , thanks to Gary Benson , who opened this thread . A great thread with lots of good B/W images .
I like to see all the B/W images and I must say , it turns me on to get my 4x5 ARCA out again and get it back to work .
Hi Jurgen. Your images are inspiring me to get the LF cameras out and shoot some 4x5 film again. :thumbup:

Your description of the experience taking the photo of the rock monsters and flowing grass image is one that I've only had a few times in my life. It is something very special and memorable.

My thanks to all of you for keeping this thread alive and interesting. Clearly, large format (whether film or digital) is not dead yet.

In the meantime, until I actually get out there and make some new LF exposures....here's another photo from my home town of Minneapolis. I worked evenings in that tall building (the IDS Center) while I was a student at the University of Minnesota in the early 1980s. I used to walk down this street (Nicollet Mall) every day, to and from work and the university.

Taken with a Cambo 4x5 and Rodenstock 150mm lens.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Gary

I love your architecture images . Unfortunately , I do not have any building like that near my place . Currently travelling anywhere is useless . We have the total snow chaos here .

Jim

Your ANCHOR images are great .
Is the magenta cast wanted or just a result of a "wrong" profile ? ? ?

Here an image taken in TICINO (Switzerland) . The profile is Lstar RGB V.2 .
Only very minor corrections to the image were required .View attachment 12428

There is no rework by PSCS4 done . No sharpening .

Regards Jürgen

bensonga

Gary
I love your architecture images . Unfortunately , I do not have any building like that near my place .
Unfortunately....it's the same for me now, living here in Alaska. I really miss living in a place with interesting buildings, whether historic or modern. Anchorage is one of the least interesting cities in this respect that I've ever seen.

Currently travelling anywhere is useless . We have the total snow chaos here.
And we only have about 6 inches of snow on the ground now....pretty crazy weather around the world.

Only very minor corrections to the image were required .
Regards Jürgen
Beautiful image Jurgen! If you would ever like to particpate in a B&W print exchange, let me know. I've got a 11x14 inch exchange coming in right now and one of the participants has a very similar image that he took in the Smoky Mountains National Park with a 4x5 view camera. Printed on Crane Museo Silver Rag with custom inks in an Epson 4000....and with an application of GLOP applied afterwards to eliminate any gloss differential. It's an absolutely beautiful print.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

jotloob

Subscriber Member
If you would ever like to particpate in a B&W print exchange, let me know. I've got a 11x14 inch exchange coming in right now and one of the participants has a very similar image that he took in the Smoky Mountains National Park with a 4x5 view camera.

Hello Gary

Thanks for your reply . In principal , I think print exchange is a good idea .
It shows us more from the work of other photographers .
I have only a very small room and any available room on the walls is filled with framed images .
And I have many images in folders which reside in drawers . And I think , it would be a pitty to hide any more images .
But I am willing to send some of my images , if the cost is reasonable .
Think of the calendar postage . But , there would also be the chance to send data via "sendthisfile" or an other carrier , and the receiver could print the image himself on his desired paper . Let me know more about the print exchange .

Here an other image I took in South of France . 4x5 inch , RODENSTOCK APO-SIRONAR S 5,6/135mm , ILFORD DELTA 400 , ID11 1+1 .

View attachment 12527

Uaiomex

Jürgen:
I salute you!

Eduardo

Your ANCHOR images are great .
Is the magenta cast wanted or just a result of a "wrong" profile ? ? ?

Only very minor corrections to the image were required .View attachment 12428

Regards Jürgen[/QUOTE]