The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Francois_A

Incredible details and beautiful tones in those two images Lars!
It must be quite a feast to see them printed big.

Regards,
François

Lars

Incredible details and beautiful tones in those two images Lars!
It must be quite a feast to see them printed big.
Thanks :) The real kick is to see the originals on the light table, it's like looking through a very clean window. Staring down on some 200-300 megapixels of detail is something you can't experience in the digital world.

Something about that shoot: The car is by an abandoned mine inside Death Valley National Park. I went up there around lunch, spent the afternoon planning setting up, and then exposed two sheets just before the sun dipped below the hills in the west. Those are the two exposures you see in this thread. 8x10 film is too expensive for bracketing or experimenting.

Last edited:

JimCollum

a couple of test shots with the Betterlight, without the IR block filter.. to show the effects of Line speed on wave/water artifacts

line speed 1/40

line speed 1/120

Francois_A

Jim, I like the 2nd image a lot! The waves are just perfect.

I was surprised that the birds were sharp, but based on a 1/120 line speed and the fact that each bird is about 1/40 the length of the image, it must have taken about only 2 seconds to scan them.

Regarding IR, do you find the resulting images significantly softer when visible and IR lights are combined, as opposed to IR only or visible only ?

Francois

I was surprised that the birds were sharp, but based on a 1/120 line speed and the fact that each bird is about 1/40 the length of the image, it must have taken about only 2 seconds to scan them.

Francois
I was surprised by the birds, too. You can see that one has moved, but not by as much as I was expecting.

JimCollum said:
to show the effects of Line speed on wave/water artifacts
Don't forget also that the direction of the waves' movement is important in relation to the direction the back is scanning. Maybe you could do a couple more tests...? :)

JimCollum

playing around with an old Wollensak Verito 8 3/4"

shot with the betterlight & Ebony view: @ f8
(vignetting was done in post processing.. 'grain' added as well)

100% crop

Using the same view and lens, i shot two frames with the Aptus and stitched them (this time @ f5)

100% crop

After i'm done 'playing'.. i might do a side by side between the two backs using the same lens at various apertures

Last edited:

Francois_A

Amazing details down to the molecular level from the scanning back!!
Jim, I am wondering why even the uncropped image from the Aptus appears so soft compared to the one from your scanning back ?

Regards,

Francois

JimCollum

Amazing details down to the molecular level from the scanning back!!
Jim, I am wondering why even the uncropped image from the Aptus appears so soft compared to the one from your scanning back ?

Regards,

Francois
That's a function of the lens, rather than the back used. The Betterlight would have looked the same (only higher resolution smoothness). The Verito is an old soft focus portrait lens that is soft and ghostly wide open, and becomes tack sharp as you stop down. I guess a side by side at the same aperture will be in order

JimCollum

Jim, I like the 2nd image a lot! The waves are just perfect.

Regarding IR, do you find the resulting images significantly softer when visible and IR lights are combined, as opposed to IR only or visible only ?

Francois
yes, the IR can be a little softer than the visible only images. but a *lot* sharper than the equivalent film IR capture

Lars

Not to be outdone by Jim's scanning back :D here's a 100% crop from a 2 gigabyte scan (8x10 E100VS, scanned at 2000 dpi). The upload here seems to sharpen a bit but those are actually grains of sand.