The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Francois_A

An image that I've been working on this afternoon, which is going to be part of a series. Still a work in progress. Sinar F2 , 210mm

Francois_A

Another version after much PS curve twisting, dodging, burning and masking!
Still, not quite as good as what I could print in the wet darkroom.

N

nei1

Francois,its a beautiful image,as is yours Jeremy,3seconds of life,so interesting.Im being slowly pulled into the large format thinking;like the idea of 10x8 but that standard lens must be a monster.Havent used such a camera for about twenty years,such a nice way of working..............all the best Neil.

Francois_A

Thanks Neil!
I am thinking about the 8x10 too! There is always the 5x7 size as an intermediate step to the bigger format.;)

Lars

Thanks Neil!
I am thinking about the 8x10 too! There is always the 5x7 size as an intermediate step to the bigger format.;)
Actually 5x7 is not a bad idea. Equipment is portable in a whole different way than 8x10. You might have to cut the film yourself from 8x10 but it isn't that much of a hassle. Development equipment like tanks and enlargers (if you want to go that way) are smaller, and scanner options are vast compared to 8x10.

Jeremy

,as is yours Jeremy,3seconds of life,so interesting.Im being slowly pulled into the large format thinking;like the idea of 10x8 but that standard lens must be a monster.Havent used such a camera for about twenty years,such a nice way of working..............all the best Neil.
Thanks for the compliment. The 360mm lens I'm using is big in comparison to lenses most are used to, but it feels downright puny compared to some of the big brass lenses I have (think 6.5" flange just to mount the lens to a board).

Lars

Thanks for the compliment. The 360mm lens I'm using is big in comparison to lenses most are used to, but it feels downright puny compared to some of the big brass lenses I have (think 6.5" flange just to mount the lens to a board).
Speaking of monsters, I have an Apo-Nikkor 610 f/9 repro lens in barrel. I never got to use it - it's just too unwieldly at about 5-6 pounds. It's huge and has moderately wide coverage, should cover 11x14 with movements. At this time it's a great conversation starter.

Here it is next to my Sigma 50/1.4, which in itself is a huge lens for an SLR normal.

Last edited:

Jeremy

That's one dense piece of glass! Here's a quick snap of some of the larger lenses I play with along with a few other items for scale.

L -> R
135mm f/5.6 Schneider Symmar-S
360mm f/6.3 Fujinon (this is the lens used for the above portrait)
Rolleiflex for scale
18" f/4 Verito
16" f/4 Dallmeyer 3A

Jeremy

The 16" Dallmeyer should be next to a refrigerator for scale. What does it weigh?
Stephen,

The 16" Dallmeyer uses waterhouse stops instead of an adjustable iris for stopping down so it just consists of 2 cemented elements at the front and 2 at the rear of the lens. For the size, it's quite light. The 18" Verito next to it does have a built-in adjustable iris and weighs more, but doesn't weigh as much as the Dallmeyer 6D I have with built-in adjustable iris. That sucker, the 6D, is over 5 pounds.

JimCollum

Fort Ord

this one with Betterlight and no IR block filter

compared to the 8x10 color provia image

(shot on different days...)

Francois_A

Hi Jim,

I particularly like the second image with the tires marks on the foreground. :thumbup:

How would you rate the dynamic range of the scanning back compared to digital backs (they all claim to be 12 stops)?

Thanks,
Francois

JimCollum

Hi Jim,

I particularly like the second image with the tires marks on the foreground. :thumbup:

How would you rate the dynamic range of the scanning back compared to digital backs (they all claim to be 12 stops)?

Thanks,
Francois
i think its about time i give that a test. my gut says the Betterlight has a greater range

another one from the Betterlight

Rodenstock 65mm lens w Ebony view. F8 if i recall

Last edited: