The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Large Format Film Digitize Option

Steve Hendrix

The big plus of 4x5 scanning would be the ability to do it yourself, thereby negating operator error (or at least personalizing it ;)).

I worked for Imacon back in 1999 - 2001, and continue to sell the Flextight scanners today and have performed numerous scan-offs between drum scanners and the Flextights. Even with the Precision II, the results were within a hair of each other - the drum scan usually offering just a tad more shadow detail that was indistinguishable in the final print.

With the numerous Flextight generations since, I would expect this difference to be even less so as dynamic range has been expanded. However, the great thing about the Flextight is the software, which allows you to tweak the scans very effectively. On the other hand, in the wrong hands, this can also produce mediocre results.

One issue regarding soft Flextight scans can often be traced to the fact that recent Flextight scanners offer auto focus, and if the proper contrast area isn't defined well enough, a soft scan can result. This appears possible with some of the samples from this thread.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

D

DougDolde

A new test:

Both are raw scans, totally unprocessed and unsharpened. Just converted to sRGB then saved as jpg level 12. Both done by West Coast Imaging.

Tango scan was done at 16 bit then converted to 8 bit for jpg. iQsmart3 scan done at 8 bit. Both at 2000 dpi. This is the $15 Creo iQsmart3 scan and not wet mounted.

I did this for my own info (but thought I'd share it) and think in most cases the $15 iQsmart is going to be my choice.

I'll no longer be using Jainco Tech and their 949 scans. Actually the Jainco scans cost $16 and change plus shipping to India and back. A little dust removal on the iQsmart scans is no big deal; WCI appears to clean the film pretty well.

http://www.painted-with-light.com/scan4.html

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Here's another interesting thought to consider for scanning 8X10s ... at least B&W 8X10s:

Contact prints then scanned on a high-end flatbed.
Not exactly the same, but I've scanned Polaroid Type 59 (roughly 4x5 print) on my old Epson flatbed (1640) and then reprinted at larger sizes. Works very nicely!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, Ralph GIbson scans wet darkroom prints before they dry down --- he feels this captures the traditional print at its best.

woodyspedden

FWIW, Ralph GIbson scans wet darkroom prints before they dry down --- he feels this captures the traditional print at its best.
Now that is a truly different approach. I do understand the logic however and look forward to doing some of the same things.

If you recall, Ansel always dried down his images in the microwave to see where things were going! Sometimes there were four or five tries before getting the right tonality!

Just MHO

Woody