The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Proposed RED 617 large format digital

etrigan63

I know this is old news but it's fits in this forum. Take a gander at this 261 megapixel beastie:

According to the press announcements the sensor module alone will sport 6.0 micron pixels, 13+ stops of DR, 16-bit A/D converter, 186mm x 56mm sensor area, 28,000 x 9,334 pixel images @ 25 fps! The unit can sport Linhof or Alpa mounts.

Here is a size comparison between the different sensors RED will offer:

Expected Spring 2010 for a mere $55,000.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Now, this is what one might call a Ready, Aim, Point and Shoot.
Does it come complete with caisson?
These will definitely need lcc correction.
Probably won't be able to get it through security either.
-bob

etrigan63

While you're at it, take a gander at the price. Just the sensor section of this sucker is 6 figures.
Unless I am counting wrong, $55,000 is 5 figures, not 6.

I have no idea what kind of post processing the images would need let alone the storage requirements. Just on visual data alone, we are talking 28,000 x 9,334 x 16 = ~400MB of data before you add the overhead of any RAW file format.

The RED DSMC is an EVF system, that is what the bomb shaped device is mounted on top. It is also more A La Carte than Leica, allowing for a completely configurable camera from the sensor up.

Also what is not showing in the image is the mass of cords connecting the separated bits together. The EVF has a plug on the front and there is a matching plug on the sensor unit.

This monster would have to travel via armored strongbox for reasons of insurance, let alone survivability in the belly of am airliner.

PeterA

RED have some pretty awesome storage solutions already out there..however this stuff is definately for those who dont mind ordering hardrives by the truckload.

DigitalAssetManagment has become the 'achilles heel' of the digital revolution...

btw - by the time you configure any of these RED set-ups you are looking at around $100K(US) - I would love to know more about their lens tech, yes they will supply Mamiya mount - but they already sell cine lenses now (again their own branded version of Cooke I believe) - again not cheap..

etrigan63

Now, this is what one might call a Ready, Aim, Point and Shoot.
Does it come complete with caisson?
-bob
With a longer lens, it could be mistaken for a man-portable rocket launcher. I wouldn't take it into a war zone.

kweide

A must have P&S cam, pocketsized, lightweight, cheap
Easy to handle. Any idea where to get a holster ??
What else do i want ???