The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What´s the back of my Chamonix 4x5?

Grayhand

I decided to put this in a thread of its own. I started by an answer in a thread by Elvind, “Digital back, options?” because this is not only about digital backs

So what can I put on the back of my Chamonix 4x5?
That was something I was wondering my self some time ago.
I did not really find any one source with answers so I had to put together my own answer bit by bit. And this is not the complete answer, just my own answer based on my need and ideas of how I would like to use this camera.

My first impression, after that I was surprised by its low weight and how well made it was, was that the groundglas looks realy good, with all the markings i want. From 6x4.5 and upwards in film size to 4x5. (not visible in the photo below :-( )

It was no surprise that my film holders for 4x5 actually did fit and did fit well!

I realise that i do not know how to mix text with pictures, so I will make one post per picture, sorry!

Ray

Grayhand

I want to have the possibility to shoot with roll film. I have two Horsman roll film backs, 6x7 and 6x9. And it was realy simple to remove the ground glass frame and install a Horsman back in the Graflock frame that is hidden below the ground glass. (It was much easier compared to my Sinar F!)
It fitted rather good but it takes some force due to the thickness of the plate.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I LOVE the look of wooden cameras.
This sample could be improved with wooden rails and standards :).
Now this is what a camera should look like as apposed to those new-fangled Oskar Barnack machines.
-bob

Grayhand

I was also locking on a 6x17 roll film back from China. But when I actually saw some pictures an the back mounted on a 4x5 camera I lost all interest! I had not realised how big the thing actually is! But it fits the Chamonix 4x5.
So I went for a Sinar roll film back, adjustable between 6x4.5 to 6x12 whit is all I need. And the Sinar fits the Chamonix 4x5 very well!

Grayhand

And I have some old Polaroid for 4x5, and that holder is also in “good hands” on the Chamonix 4x5. But the next step will of course be a holder for Fuji instant film!

Grayhand

And what about the quality difference between film and digital?

Well I will not jump in to that swamp!!!

It is a mater of taste. What matters for me is what the result is on the wall!
And I dont care one small bit of the back side of a small furry animal with long tail how I get there! But thats me.

Ray

Grayhand

Well, one last before we ride of into the sunset!

Later I will be back with som pictures of the other end of my camera.

(And just let´s pretend that it is a specific "Cube" that the camera is mounted on :angel:)

Ray

E

Eivind

Excellent explanation.. this was just what I was looking for.. !

A

apneaimages

Ray excellent!!!
Do you maybe have found out if there is existing a holder for Fuji instant film?
The widepan for hasselblad is it really a rotared back and takes Hasselblad H or V mount backs or Phase one mounts to?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

The base, rear extension rails and focus rack of the Cham are made of a carbon fiber composite. This keeps the camera very light, around 3 pounds total with 4x5 GG back, and very rigid... Not bad for a sub-$1000 camera, eh?

;),