The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Starting 8x10 view camera

R

Rick Moore

Lars, the only new holders I am aware one can buy are Chamonix, Canham and Lotus. Lisco/Fidelity went out of business a few years back.
I just checked, and Badger Graphic has both Toyo and Fidelity 8x10 holders in stock.

I use the Toyo 8x10 holders and they are very well made. The Chamonix 8x10 holders with the carbon fibre darkslides are both lightweight and beautiful, for about double the price of the Fidelity ones.

M

msglueck

Hi,

I am also starting 8x10. Got a Toyo 8x10G for 300€ in good shape. Now I am looking for lenses, too. I got an Nikkor-W 5,6/240mm offered for 399€ with shutter. A bit expensive, isn't it? Anybody has some input on this lens?

Best regards,
Markus

Professional

Hey all,

I never had a Large format before, and even never have a film camera before, first ever Medium Format i bought was this year which is Hasselblad H3DII, but after i got that Hasselblad i am thinking very strongly to go film direction, and because i have a medium format even not film this time i said i should go larger, so i am so looking for a large format camera, also i read there are different format sizes, and i really want to go with 8x10, i don't care of the price of the body or lenses if i can get something decent, but i didn't know where to ask as i didn't get answers usually and most telling me to go with used, in fact i don't like to use used items at all, so i am looking for only "New" large format [8x10], so if you know where i can find one and it is good enough then it will be my pleasure.

I saw a Sinar P3 [and P2] in one locally store in my country, i also liked it but i don't see many here or everywhere going with this large format camera, so that i wasn't sure about it, and also it is 4x5 which again made me to look for something else, but i may keep it as my last option if i can find any 8x10 or larger New.

Marc Wilson

Talking of 10x8 (or 8x10 as most of you know it) I'm currently deciding between 54 and 10x8 for my upcoming projects...I've used 54 extensively over the years and travelled and hiked lot with it.(usually just a 2 lens set up)
The larger size neg of the 10x8 is so very appealing but with the hiking up (and down) mountains, walking miles to locations, airplane travel etc that all my upcoming projects require can I really afford the extra weight of the 10x8 set up...(bigger and heavier camera, lenses. darkslides, tripod,bag, etc , etc!)

Don't worry...not looking for answers here, just mulling it over out load.

Marc

Don Hutton

5x7 Marc... It is a fantastic compromise and to be honest, unless you're printing huge - as in larger than 80x60, you are just not going to see any extra quality from 8x10. Diffraction tends to be a significant factor with high quality 8x10 and IMO, 5x7 is the ultimate sweet spot...

Marc Wilson

Thanks Don,
I've thought about 5x7 as a good medium but I mostly shoot colour and as far as I am aware it's not so easy getting sheet film in 5x7 as 54.

Marc

Don Hutton

Marc

It's an obstacle, but certainly not an insurmountable one... Cutting down 8x10 is dead easy. There are actually quite a few 5x7 color emulsions available, but you have to look and buy a stash when you find it. That said, I really like Portra 160VC and cut it down from 8x10! Dead easy with a Rotatrim in the darkroom...

RodK

Hey all,

I never had a Large format before, and even never have a film camera before, first ever Medium Format i bought was this year which is Hasselblad H3DII, but after i got that Hasselblad i am thinking very strongly to go film direction, and because i have a medium format even not film this time i said i should go larger, so i am so looking for a large format camera, also i read there are different format sizes, and i really want to go with 8x10, i don't care of the price of the body or lenses if i can get something decent, but i didn't know where to ask as i didn't get answers usually and most telling me to go with used, in fact i don't like to use used items at all, so i am looking for only "New" large format [8x10], so if you know where i can find one and it is good enough then it will be my pleasure.

I saw a Sinar P3 [and P2] in one locally store in my country, i also liked it but i don't see many here or everywhere going with this large format camera, so that i wasn't sure about it, and also it is 4x5 which again made me to look for something else, but i may keep it as my last option if i can find any 8x10 or larger New.
Professional,
I am new to the forum, but a comment if you haven't got an 810 yet.
Arca swiss rail cameras can be very field friendly.
I have taken mine to Antarctica as well as Europe, and all over the US and Canada.
By collapsing it onto one of the 6" rails it easily fits a back pack as, except for the rail
piece it is only 3" thick and under 9 lbs for newest model.
Great screen, and the bale system to insert holders is exquisite, and simple.
I also have a system which will easily calculate your required aperture for then shot you are working on. I teach LF at Scottsdale Community College.
Anyway I love my camera as I bought a 4x5 first and got the 810 format chg set for it to have both sizes. Takes 30 seconds to change.
email if any questions.
Rod

Professional

Professional,
I am new to the forum, but a comment if you haven't got an 810 yet.
Arca swiss rail cameras can be very field friendly.
I have taken mine to Antarctica as well as Europe, and all over the US and Canada.
By collapsing it onto one of the 6" rails it easily fits a back pack as, except for the rail
piece it is only 3" thick and under 9 lbs for newest model.
Great screen, and the bale system to insert holders is exquisite, and simple.
I also have a system which will easily calculate your required aperture for then shot you are working on. I teach LF at Scottsdale Community College.
Anyway I love my camera as I bought a 4x5 first and got the 810 format chg set for it to have both sizes. Takes 30 seconds to change.
email if any questions.
Rod
Hi Rod,

Thank you very much for your reply!
So where i can get that 8x10 Arca Swiss? or where i can find any 8x10 LF? i checked KEH.com and i saw only one 8x10 LF camera there and i don't use ebay at all.

bensonga

+1 on Badger Graphic. Bought my Ebony 45SU from them.....they were very helpful with info and advice when I was trying to pick from the many models available.

Gary

Jeremy

Due to a medical injury I am having to liquidate my 8x10 equipment. So if someone is looking to get into 8x10 I have a full setup (minus tripod) including 8x10 Kodak Master View, 250mm f/6.7 Fujinon, 360mm f/6.3 Fujinon and 10 plastic 8x10 holders that I'll be listing sale.

O

Oxide Blu

Professional,

As Lars said, US: Badger Graphic http://www.badgergraphic.com great prices and service.

Steve
Ah cool, i will have a look, thank you very much! :)

Badger Graphic also sells the Ebony line of view cameras. They are often compared to the other high-end view cameras -- and have a high-end price, too.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html

I'm hoping to get an Ebony in the near future, a really miss shooting LF -- went out yesterday and bought a $1 quick pick ticket -- first time I have every bought a lottery ticket.

Z

zzyzx

So what did you finally purchase?

After years of many different cameras I like my Deardorffs. Second choice for field work for ME would be Canham. If weight didn't matter and I wanted low cost I would get the old Calumet 'Green Monster'. Bombproof, heavy and it works forever and is very cheap on the used market.

One lens, a 300 NikkorM for low cost and good quality or a new Cooke Triple Convertible if cost were no object.

Ten holders and a changing back along with a Ries tripod, Pentax digital spot meter and you are in business. The dark cloth I can make easily using wind/waterproof cloth and microfleece so I have wind, rain and cold emergency blanket in the darkcloth... with a black side and a light gray-white side.

Add in one nice loupe to help with focus and I am ready to go.

For processing, 8x10 to 11x14 trays, Hake brush, Sandy Kings Pyrocat HD developer and a green safelight coupled to a foot switch and I can develop any B&W film by inspection and never a scratch on the film. Slow, but one at a time gives me the darkroom time to contemplate and enjoy the process as well as the image. Contact printing frame, Lodima paper(now that my Azo stock is dwindling) and I am in business.

Can put a low cost kit together like this for well under $1000 US. By shopping around and getting lucky I can put it all together for half that if I don't mind waiting and hunting for stuff.

Either way, nothing compared to a fine contact print. Get it right in camera, process and print and show fine images.

Need a source for developing by inspection and some top inspiration? Take a workshop for this type of workflow at http://www.michaelandpaula.com as this husband and wife team are excellent. They work this way and are good teachers. Their workshop is worth every penny and then some.

Let us know what you ended up with for a working rig.