The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

10x4

JSK Rangefinder

I LOVE the idea of 4x10. Cutting film shouldn't be a problem, just use a good rotary cutter with a preset. 2.5:1 has that cine feel to it, and in a pinch the neg is large enough to crop to a 4x5 if the scene so requires.

On the low end there's Shen-Hao. Badger lists it for $1595.
http://www.shen-hao.com/410.html
What's really interesting with the Shen-Hao offering is that there seems to be backs available for 5x7 as well as 6x17 rollfilm. So the rear standard is slightly oversized.

Of course, if you really want to splash out there's always Ebony SW410 -lists for $6095 at Badger.
If you have a sensitive wallet or compulsive buyer disorder, close your eyes now. ;)

Is it possible to make some sort of digital back adapter so one can achieve by moving/shifting DB to cover 4x10 something like an Alpa XY and such?

JSK Rangefinder

I am thinking Kapture Group adapter looks rather heavy and my question would be if you have 4x10 Ebony with Kapture Group adapter attached to it lets say in desired tilt/shift position could sliding your DB and GG be prone to effecting the camera position previously set so that you end up having a slightly different crop from when you made your composition?

I know Ebony cameras are solid and top of the line LF cameras. I've never
used one of these adapters and it worries me a little..

Lars

A key guiding rule when stitching is do not crop tight. You'll have plenty of pixels to work with anyway, so make sure you have a healthy margin maybe 5-10% of image width/height.

Camera stability is not an issue - it all comes down to tripod leg torsional rigidity.

I think if shifting a DB around over such a large area you'd get into some serious trouble WRT angles, as most sensors are not indifferent to angle of incoming light. 4x5 is one thing, but 4x10 is many times wider than the sensor.