The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need Help With Buying Field Camera

H

henleytx11

I'm looking to buy a field camera for decorative purposes. One that looks similar, or exactly, like the one shown in the attachments.

The pictures are not the clearest, but can someone tell me what kind of field camera and tripod that is, and how I would go about getting one just like it?

This is my first post. I hope all the true professionals and enthusiasts don't mind me asking a question about buying a camera for aesthetic purposes only.

Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say by these shots... It could be an 8x10 Deardorf with a 5x7 or 4x5 reducing back, or it could be something like a cheap Raja (Deardorf imitation) with a reducing back. Another one to check out of similar vintage and appearance would be a Kodak Master View.

See: http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

H

henleytx11

Thank you, Jack. I noticed this posting from you, which highlights a Chamonix for around $700 US retail: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178. That's a beautiful camera. Two questions about it, please. (1) What retailers carry such an item, where I might see it before buying it, and, (2) In the photos of the Chamonix, when it's fully extended, the bellows look like they're raised somewhat. Can the bellows be adjusted to where they look like the one shown in the photos I've provided above? Thank you, again, for all your help.

H

henleytx11

Thank you, Jack. Since I'm lamentably ignorant when it comes to these kinds of cameras, I have a final question or two about the ones I saw on the ebay site. It appears as if what is shown is the exterior or shell of the camera. I saw no lens, etc. If I buy what I saw on the site, what else will I need to buy in order to have everything I want? And what kind of tripod is shown in the pictures I posted? Any idea? It looks very nice. That should be all the questions I have..........at least for now. Thanks for everything.

A

affoche09

Lol not to sound like a or anything but what do you guys mean when you say "little camera"?

Stuart Richardson

I think if you just want a camera for aesthetic purposes, you won't need to spend 700 dollars! Just go to a flea market or on ebay and look for wooden field cameras. Some of the old ones that don't really work would still look very beautiful. Just search wooden camera, vintage large format camera, vintage field camera, and things like that.
If you are looking for the most beautiful new field cameras, have a look at Ebony -- they are quite expensive though, as they are high precision photographic tools!

S

Soren

For only aesthetics you don’t even need a “working” camera per se. Though honestly how pretty do you need it? Will old tarnished metal be a problem? Do you need nicely finished wood? Or are you more looking for the antique worn look? The camera in the pictures appears to be an 8x10 size camera. Do you need it the same size or will smaller suffice? As for tripod design... there are several wood tripod manufacturers. Ries and Berlebach to name two of the most well known ones. Also what “condition” do you want the tripod to be in? New? Or looking used? It all depends on how you plan to use it as your aesthetic design element. Help us help you by giving us a few more details on the planned “use” of the camera then we can likely give you better advice on where to look to find what you need.