The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Straps here is what i use

Al, I remember in Germany you showed me how you made some sort of adapter to connect our Upstrap to the M8, but I don't recall how you did it. Do you care to share your method?

atanabe

The secret to not destroying a perfectly good Leica strap for the lugs is to have a great dealer or get to know your Leica rep. I have both and have not had to sacrifice any of my new, unused straps. Most dealers that sell used Leica gear have a drawer full of old, worn straps that they will sell for a couple of bucks or give to you so that you can harvest the connectors. My Leica rep in Seattle, Brad Weeks, gave me his old straps from last year's demo cameras. But if you have to sacrifice your own strap, here are some options to consider.
The most recent itteration of the strap has a non removable plastic clip that secures the metal clasp to the strap. The metal ring has two prongs and need to be seperated over the camera lugs to be fastened. In the picture, it is on the camera. You can cut the stitching and remove the clasp and if you want, have a seamstress restitch it later. The old version of the strap, has an open metal fastener and the clip is not secured to the strap. It is the middle strap in the picture. The top most strap shows the plastic clip that needs to be cut free from the strap. You could also just cut the plastic bar on the clip on one side and remove it from the strap. It seems that the main purpose for this attachment is to keep the clip from becoming lost when the strap is not attached to the camera. It can't go beyond the camera lug afterall.
View attachment 117

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL i was just not very polite and cut the heck out of the Leica straps. My rule: When in doubt hit the damn thing. :D

S

Shootist

LOL i was just not very polite and cut the heck out of the Leica straps. My rule: When in doubt hit the damn thing. :D
And if that doesn't work use a BIGGER Hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Works for me most of the time. That either fixes it or leave no doubt that I need to buy a new one.

Thank you Al for the explanation and photo. I have considered the Upstap since seeing yours, but haven't got around to getting one. I think I will give one a try.

harmsr

Workshop Member
After being corrupted by Guy, I also ordered several UPStraps for my cameras.

I love the Luigi cases but his straps do slip and are short for me. I tried Guys a while back and fell in love.

They now ride on my Leicas and my Nikons.

Best description - Very comfortable and flexible, but they stay where you put them.

Best,

Ray