The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If FF M9 is true, can they upgrade the M8 with the FF sensor?

francishmt

If the rumored FF M9 is true and ready to be announced on 9/9/09, do you think Leica can/would offer sensor upgrades to existing M8 users? What is your thought and if so, for how much?

carstenw

The cost would be prohibitive. The top plate and all the innards must be exchanged. The battery is moving around, the sensor is larger and so on. Even the front and rear shells might be different. If you can only keep the bottom plate, you won't save much at all...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I see no point in Leica upgrading the M8. Rather we need to accept the fact Stephen Lee lied.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I see no point in Leica upgrading the M8. Rather we need to accept the fact Stephen Lee lied.
I think that you're being a bit harsh on Stephen Lee. I don't think it's a case of being a liar so much as being overly optimistic about the M upgradability path. I somewhat doubt that his intentions were anything less than genuine. :deadhorse:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There is an upgrade path.
1) Buy your M9
2) Sell your M8
note that 1 and 2 may be done in any order.
Your total cost is minimized in this approach.
-bob

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I would replace the horse with Mr. Lee. I think he did a great deal of damage to the image of Leica with his over optimism or just plain ignorance combined with mendacity.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
And his over-visibility.
CEOS are best if they never talk about anything other than results.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There is an upgrade path.
1) Buy your M9
2) Sell your M8
note that 1 and 2 may be done in any order.
Your total cost is minimized in this approach.
-bob
I'm generally pretty proficient at the buy cycle. Not so good at the sell one as is witnessed by the overflowing equipment cupboard here. :ROTFL:

Stuart Richardson

I agree with Carsten and the rest -- the cost of changing everything out would be prohibitive. Since the sensors are different sizes, the viewfinder and frameline masks need to change as well. In order to bring the electronics to date, most of them would need to change too. Unfortunately, highly integrated electronics make upgradability a complex and uneconomical task, unless it has been made a part of the design.