The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The M9 Chat Box

kinok1

Here are my thoughts. I pay my bills with a pair of m8s. I have had more than my fair share of problems with them both, then again they get beat to hell.

i love the idea of the m9 - finally full frame. but i have to ask leica - wtf?? why bring out Seal to introduce this camera? all this says to me, a working pro, is leica cares more about celebrity, brand cult, status, than they do the (albeit few) men and women out there making a living using their cameras.

as tempting as that m9 is...i might just have to pass. not because there is anything wrong with the camera, but the company seems to be moving in directions i no longer support.

damn.

nostatic

i love the idea of the m9 - finally full frame. but i have to ask leica - wtf?? why bring out Seal to introduce this camera? all this says to me, a working pro, is leica cares more about celebrity, brand cult, status, than they do the (albeit few) men and women out there making a living using their cameras.

as tempting as that m9 is...i might just have to pass. not because there is anything wrong with the camera, but the company seems to be moving in directions i no longer support.

damn.
True. He's no Ashton Kutcher :ROTFL:

T

totallynatural

Interesting that they've played up the celebrity connection: Eric Clapton, Bryan Adams, Seal -- right after showing "battle scars" on the M3
Bryan Adams??? ;)

If anything thats put me off my dream of ever wanting to eventually own a Leica. Everytime I see one I'll now have images of Robin Hood and that awful song. :D

If it had been Ryan Adams...:)

I'd always associated Leica with bresson et al...Leica just killed that for me :thumbs: ;)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Unless I'm mistaken, Bryan Adams has been working as a very accomplished professional fashion photographer over the past several years ... I'd certain share your disdain, however, for that awful Robin Hood song though.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Looks like exactly what I was hoping it would be ... full frame, higher megapixels, no more filters and an extra 1-2 stops in ISO performance. And, an ISO 80 setting to allow me to continue to shoot fast in bright light.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I just wonder how soon Adobe will have the M9 in ACR for use with Bridge and Photoshop. I'm not a fan of Lightroom and my workflow and color mangement is built around Photoshop.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
From our friends at Camera West just got this e-mail

Special Announcement
09/09/09

Dear Guy,

By now I am sure that you have heard that Leica has announced what is likely their most important camera since the original UR Leica or the M3. If not, then it is my pleasure to present you with this exciting news.

Sincerely,

Sean Cranor
Camera West

Leica M9
Smallest Full Frame

Today, Leica has officially unveiled their M9, 18.5mp, full frame Digital rangefinder camera!

Our initial review of the camera is impressive, to say the least. The camera is the same size as the M8 and feels about the same heft, although technically, it is a few ounces heavier. The build quality, fit and finish, is all Leica. Its 24x36mm sensor makes 17.4mb, compressed DNG files that open to 103mb, 16 bit TIFF. The IR cast, that some shooters experienced, has been addressed with a thicker IR filter. The dial on the back of the camera now can control exposure compensation and there is a proper battery level meter. The camera also has a bracketing mode, which will be handy for HDR. If you have ever used a Leica M camera, then you are already aware that this is the smallest and lightest, full frame, digital camera now on the market.

Side by side comparison with my M8.2, the M9 appears to make a more pleasing image, with natural colors, more predictable depth of field and slightly higher ISO performance. At a pleasantly surprising $6995.00 price tag, this is the digital camera that all Leica shooters will need to own. We expect the first shipments to hit in about two weeks. Please contact us by phone or email to reserve your M9.

Leica X1
A New Standard

Leica has also announced a new standard in compact cameras, the X1.

This camera is using a 12.2mp, APS-C size CMOS sensor that is typically used in DSLR cameras. The lens is a fixed 24mm2.8 Asph, 8-element, Elmarit. The 1.5x magnification ratio makes this equivalent to a 36mm lens in 35mm format. The camera has manual controls and is built on a metal frame and promised to be fast and responsive. The camera weighs in at only 10oz and is about the same size as the D-Lux 4, but thicker.

I expect that this camera will perform to the levels of the M8, in a smaller and lighter package. The price is to be $1995.00 with expected delivery around the Holidays.

In This Issue
Leica M9
Leica X1

Camera Specifications

M9

S2

X1

Camera West
201 W. Franklin St.
Monterey, CA 93940

Ph. 831-643-9088
Fx. 831-643-9092

M - F 10am - 6pm
Sat. 10am - 4pm

Email Monterey

Camera West
1255 South Main St.
Suite # 201
Walnut Creek, CA 94596

Ph. 925-935-1424
Fx. 925-935-2008

M - F 10am - 6pm
Sat. 10am - 4pm

Email Walnut Creek

Join Our Mailing List!

Forward email

This email was sent to guymancuso by [email protected].

Camera West | 1255 South Main Street | Suite 201 | Walnut Creek | CA | 94596

So these look to be the US prices as noted earlier

M

matmcdermott

Unless I'm mistaken, Bryan Adams has been working as a very accomplished professional fashion photographer over the past several years ... I'd certain share your disdain, however, for that awful Robin Hood song though.
Has he? I was unaware. I knew he was a Leica fan and good photographer, but didn't know that was his main gig these days.

kevinparis

kudos to Seal for speaking with some passion and without looking at his script every 10 seconds unlike the Leica reps. I appreciate they weren't speaking their first language.. but it was pretty turgid stuff... and a little under rehearsed.

still you have your proper digital RF now. I am sure the x1 will be a fine camera... but that price ....ouch!!!

K

N

nei1

Have they given the camera to any respected photographers who might give a little more insight?

clay stewart

It does peak my interest, even after reading about that war photog in Iraq, who pretty much poo pooed the M8 in everyway, as far as a pro camera goes. Maybe that's why Leica doesn't want serious photogs doing the advertising anymore. I think maybe the M8/M9 is more like Leica Jewlery, than a serious image maker, these days, at least compared to the M6 and earlier models, but I still kind of want one (M9) with a 28 and 50 cron.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Probably the old story. 16 bits, but the last two bits contain no usable information.;)