The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X1 Chat Box

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well Leica is trying to not fit in the norm. with products that they can call there own for one and also stay directly out direct competition. They simply have no apple to apple comparisons to other brands.
I think that appeals to their customer base too. Who wants another me-too camera? I know I don't.

Speaking of apples, I think it's the same aesthetic that has folks pay more for a well built nicely designed metal Mac vs plastic {insert generic brand here} laptop.

Terry

Exactly, this is why not many are buying them. I think M9 is gonna be their saviour!
I actually think if the X1 performs it is going to be a big seller. Lots of folks on the Leica Users Forum and other places would gladly have a fixed lens solution. Personally I really like the shutter and aperture wheels. We will see how the AF/MF works. I have to assume for the price that they've worked hard on a good lens for it.

N

nei1

Well Leica is trying to not fit in the norm. with products that they can call there own for one and also stay directly out direct competition. They simply have no apple to apple comparisons to other brands.
Guy in this case I think Sigma got there first and if they wanted to call this there own why havent they put the M8 sensor inside instead of a nikon,.........Neil.

V

Vivek

Well, the M8 sensor is:

1. From Kodak.

2. Has microlenses- that special arrangement isn't needed here due to one fixed lens.

No EVF on the X1.

Presumably, the high ISO performance from X1 would be close to that of a Nikon D300 (Sony sensor).

I am unsure if Sigma's FOVEON can do a decent 400+ ISO range.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seriously I thought for sure that would have been a awesome move but as we know that may have raised the price to 3k since the M8 sensor is more expensive. Also you would not get the high ISO from it either and throwing a D300? Cmos sensor in would certainly keep the price lower and give us the higher ISO numbers. Problem with Sigma and really not sure it is a fault of there own is in the Photo world it is not really a household name if you know what I mean. Case in point I say Sigma to you what would be your first thought. Mine would be reversed engineered lenses for Canon and Nikon and for many shooters that would be what we relate too. Also the DP! never hit the high ISO marks, It did hit the holy smokes nice color but I think it left a few unanswered questions as well at least from what I know on it and I am not a expert on the Sigma as many here are but just my thoughts on it from a back seat driver.

Vivek we posted the same time but almost identical thoughts. Obviously I just run my mouth longer than you. LOL I may have to go out for my 2 drink minimum

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
An interesting page out of Spain with video on the X1. It's in Spanish but not hard even if you don't speak or read it.

Leica X1: toma de contacto

I has me rethinking my GR-DIII idea. I may get it and sell the GR-DII to start an X1 fund.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ah screw it. I'm going to buy one. Just to damn Leica for me. Exactly what I want for a run out the door camera. No doubt my wife will steal this from me.

Now If I buy a X and a S2 do I get a 30 thousand dollar discount.

N

nei1

Agreed that the Sigma isnt perfect but used within its limitations it seems to produce good results........If leica could have put any sensor in this camera the Fuji S5 would have been an interesting choice.

Ben Rubinstein

Had a look at the translated spanish page and watched the video. Apparently the screen is useless outdoors in bright light. Not that I'm surprised from the cheap screen they put in it but at a $2K price point it's unacceptable (not that canon mind, they have a similar screen in their 1Ds mkIII:wtf:).

It just looks too big (the camera). Sorry.

JSK Rangefinder

I actually think if the X1 performs it is going to be a big seller. Lots of folks on the Leica Users Forum and other places would gladly have a fixed lens solution. Personally I really like the shutter and aperture wheels. We will see how the AF/MF works. I have to assume for the price that they've worked hard on a good lens for it.
It looks like it is build well. Do we know anything about accessories? maybe they will bring some extra tubes, lenses like with G9 and G10?

To me personally, it feels like they made a mixture of old design with new technology.
On video that John posted X1 looks great, probably in real life too.

ACTUALLY X1 RESEMBLES MY AVATAR A LITTLE :)

Tim

The X1 would be a great compliment to the S2.
I was thinking this also, can you imagine a Pro on assignment somewhere with an S2, who then goes for a wander around the town or beach, he/she may take an X1 to grab a few images rather than lug their work camera.

Tim

I think it could be a big seller as well.

Its a camera to take with you when you are going out but not going out to take pictures. If you do take something you often don't want a kit with lots of lenses so you take the one lens and one camera that does most often work for you - 35mm.

Godfrey

watched the spanish video again and read through the page. i'd have preferred if they made the lens surround 'active', the control by which the manual focus was done, but it's hard to say. Given the LCD viewfinder for manual focus, the magnifier and thumbwheel might actually work better.

this camera needs the optical viewfinder accessory, imo, just like my old Leica IIc and IIf did.

i think i'll run an experiment. I'm either going to put the 20/3.5 nikkor or 25/2.8 olympus lens on my G1, and I'm going to keep it there for a week or two. when i want something different, I'll grab the L1 with the appropriate lens. if I can do the photography I want with that working setup, then the X1 is a viable possibility ...

V

Vivek

Experiment like that is good, Godfrey.

I did exactly that with a modified E-410 (view finder became useless after I removed the UV/IR/AA filter stack) and used the LCD/live view for focusing. Pain in the @$$.

That led me to decide strongly against the E-P.

In your experiment, you should forget the swivel nature of the G1's TFT! ;)