The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X1 Chat Box

cjlacz

Interesting reading people's responses. Like Terry mentioned on DPR, If it was m4/3s I might have sprung for it, but not with the fixed lens. I'd really like a compact digital camera with the simple controls of the X1. Hopefully Panasonic and Oly are watching and learning.

If Oly's 17mm lens was better quality I wonder if the X1's reception might have been a little different.

I will seriously consider getting an X1 if the price is under $1500 (not likely) and the image quality is up to Leica standards.

Tim

I will seriously consider getting an X1 if the price is under $1500 (not likely) and the image quality is up to Leica standards.
I've had new M8s offered to me at substantial discounts. Maybe not after it was just released but at some point the X1 will be cheaper!

N

nei1

This is a camera that a lot of people have been waiting for,me very much included.If youre wish list was for a leica version of the gh1 this is not it,this camera will be like the twilight zone for you.However for those of us that the X1 fits it would be a shame to offer such a camera and then take it away because of its quality.Can I ask again why the M8 sensor isnot being used in this camera?

Tim

this camera will be like the twilight zone for you.
hehehe, I think you are right.

Also I think you have to get this camera in your hand. Someone posted weight specs and the X1 is twice as heavy as its competitors - although it does not really have any direct competitors. I think it will have a substantial build.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

I have been in the market for a camera like the X1 for some time now. I don't know if it will be the X1, but that camera sure looks interesting. Here are my thoughts about Leica and the role of the X1. Let me start off with saying that I already told my wife about it and announced that I would probably start saving. She thought it was okay. I'm blessed with a lovely and understanding wife. (Possibly, talking about the S2 and the M9 first helped a bit :ROTFL:)

The idea of Oscar Barnack was to make a camera that one could take anywhere and that would always be ready when needed. Quite probably, the X1 has a better form factor for that as a digital camera than the M series itself. I've extensively used an Olympus OM system which is nearly identical in size and after several years, I didn't find it really practical anymore: you need a shoulder sling like Seal was wearing during the presentation and a small bag to carry extra lenses. The Leica M possibly moved a little bit away from the ultra portability of the earlier Leicas, trading that in for a lot of advantages (like the viewfinder). For me, I'd prefer a camera that is more pocketable again, and I know it will mean compromising on other things.

The X1, as has been noted here before, shows quite a bit of resemblance to the Barnacks. The lens isn't removable, but it does retract to make the camera very pocketable. I use my Barnack (clone) with a collapsible Summitar and the X1 will be smaller, less than half the weight and I won't need to carry a light meter. Even better, it has exactly the same dimensions as my beloved carry-everywhere camera (Minolta TC-1), except it's 2cm longer, leaving more place for holding it. When I used the TC-1, I actually thought a bit longer wouldn't hurt, so it seems to be quite perfectly proportioned for my purposes.

The fixed lens is then the main compromise: digital cameras are just a lot harder to design than film ones, so Leica had the choice here: either it would be a fixed lens camera, or it would be a new system, bigger and a lot more pricey, but then it would compete with the newly introduced M9. If it's true that the sensor is the one from the D300 and the lens is a typical Leica gem and the whole implementation is good, then it has the potential to be an incredible pocketable and it will be extremely hard for anybody to come close. Definitely, if all of those "ifs" are achieved, $2K is not very expensive.

I think the controls are a bit funny, though. Another poster mentioned the flash, saying it is a kowtow to the P&S crowd. I don't think so. The design by itself looks great. The main issue is whether it will have some decent flash control. My TC-1 allowed me to balance flash & ambient just by selecting the aperture (if I was close to the subject, I'd close it down). If the X1 allows me to do this in a simple way, it could be quite useful as a fill-in flash, which would be great news. I'm a bit more curious about the position of the aperture dial: it could be either very good, or very bad. If it's in the way of my index finger when reaching over it to make a photo, it's very bad. But if it's not and it's very reachable with my thumb, it makes the camera very easy to use in aperture priority, which is my preferred mode of shooting. That would be very good.

Final little thing is the screen. If I need an external OVF, the camera won't be half as pocketable. I hope the screen is really good. Possibly, Leica can still stick in a 900K pixel one before they release it and make it flare resistant. We'll just have to wait and see.

Having seen the webcast yesterday, I have a pretty good feeling about Leica's strategy. They have carefully thought about their recent past and decided that rebranding wasn't the way to continue. Instead, they put some pride back into their work and designed three cameras that are quite awe inspiring. I am not an economist and I can't say if it'll make them survive the next 10 years, but if Leica has calculated their profit margins carefully and if the cameras get the rave reviews that I hope they will do, we could have a very fascinating reborn Leica entering the market.

Peter.

N

nei1

I know that Im stating the obvious here but it is certain that for the same price a good, almost like new ,with all bugs sorted M8, could also be yours.All this shows,I think,is that the buyers of the M8 payed quite a premium and have probably paid about a 1000 over its real value(and have helped leica stay afloat);the X1 is overpriced and that the M9,if it is as good as it should be,is a bit of a bargain.If it was weathersealed I might be selling stuff.
However I still have my fingers crossed for the X1.

monza

While it is true that a used M8 body can be had (at this point in time) for just a few hundred more than an X1 (which isn't available yet), the M8 will also require a lens.

IMHO, if the X1 is overpriced, the M9 is too. If the M9 is fairly priced, then the X1 is too.

If indeed the X1 has the same sensor as in the D300, this bodes well for exceptional IQ. :)

V

Vivek

All this shows,I think,is that the buyers of the M8 payed quite a premium and have probably paid about a 1000 over its real value(and have helped leica stay afloat).

They did and as you point out the M8 owners contributed in a major way to keep the company afloat.

D300 sensor would be good but the low light D300 AF sucks. I doubt the AF performance of the X1 will be even on par with that of the D300.

monza

Hmm, I never had too much problem with low light AF on the D300. Perhaps because I was using a 50/1.2 manual focus lens. :)

Scargos2

$1,500. is about right for a fixed lens camera. I was hoping for removable lens camera.
for $2,000 it will be a tough sell IMHO

J

Jamesmd

I sold my M8 because of sight problems and focus :( , so for sure I'll get one , I'm ok with only a 35, I normally always had 35 on the camera , and I love the controls Mlike , and for sure the IQ is going to be very close to M8, the only but I find is not having a incamera viewfinder . with the optional one I understand you know you are focused with a led indicator , but focused on what ? well I'll get used to it .

I think its a great camera for what its though for .

Cheers

James

L

ljclark

Greetings all...

My initial reaction was "What were those guys smoking?" :eek:

But the more I though about it, the more intrigued I became.

I used to say that my desert island camera would be an M6 with the nice little C/V 35mm f/2.5 Pancake II. (And I still have a Minox GT-E in the cabinet.)

So in the digital age, is this a desert island camera? (Where the island has a laptop, solar power, a decent printer, and a couple thousand ink cartridges?)

There has been some kind of market research going on, and the X-1 seems to speak to a desire for quality, and maybe a slightly more simple approach to taking the pictures.

I haven't talked to my local store yet, but I have an inkling of the demographic (most of which probably doesn't hang around these forums). But I'd want to have some big prints around the shop to show what the camera can do -- and those prints depend upon what Leica chooses to do with anti-aliasing, noise control, and some other factors.

And to shift point of view just a little...next month I'm going to spend a few days in Paris walking around, taking in some museums, and maybe shooting some pictures. The M8 and some lenses will be accompanying me. On the other hand, I ask myself what I might do with one camera that had a nice sized sensor, and a moderately apertured single-focal-length lens. Could I shoot my whole trip with an X-1? I think so. :)

monza

Thanks for the link. It's smaller than the E-P1, that's the one thing that's been missing for the past couple of days, a direct size comparison.

I figured it would have a solid feel due to it's all metal construction.

Really liking the simple interface with the dials on top. Use the viewfinder with LED focus confirmation, turn off the LCD and just use the top dials. Nice.