The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X1 Chat Box

drazin

maybe i didnt read enough about it...but it doesnt look that impressive for 2k.

why would i buy it over an older m8?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I think my wife needs one of those for Christmas. Of course i'll have to play with it for awhile so I can give her some good tips on how best to use it. I bet she'll love it!:p

nostatic

Interesting. Shake reduction (presumably in the body), relatively slow lens (GF1 has a f1.7), 3fps (don't care), AF (by whom?), presumably you can't get focus information through any viewfinder you'd add.

Is it the dream camera or the answer to a question nobody asked? While there is something oddly compelling about it (mmm, red dot), seems like u4/3 is a way more flexible choice.

If they'd put a 35/2 I would have been a lot more interested...

Lars

Perspective... that's just below what I paid for my F5 brand new in 1997. If X1 was priced $1K I would have said Leica is nuts - $2K is beyond comprehension.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
The slow lens worries me but they said very good low light performance.

I like the concept.

nostatic

At $1K I likely would have bought one. The similar priced competition is more flexible but one could argue that the X1 is a very good one-trick pony. But at $2K you can buy a lot of different options (Sony a850, Pentax K7 and one or two ltd primes, etc)

iiiNelson

$1K would be a fair price considering the Leica premium, the D-Lux 4 debuted @$850, and the DP1/2 are going for about $700 give or take. I agree that the Micro 4/3 take is a better option for most people who aren't brand sensitive and want a smaller camera. $2000 will get you all but the more prestigious full frame bodies.

nostatic

yeah, my plan was to get the GF1 w/20/1.7 along with the Leica 45macro for small/street and the X1 price/specs reinforces that. That combo should come in well under $2K. Have to see the X1 in person though. I've been seduced before...

cam

agree with everybody.

i probably would have bitten at 1k, even though the speed of the lens annoys me. a Lux would have had me doing somersaults, but i would have happily settled on a Cron. at this price, though, a definite pass.

Terry

Yes,
I already have the GF1 on order and I'm not canceling it. I do like the controls on the back which are similar to the M's. I really wished the X1 were m4/3.

nostatic

It's funny because the M9 is actually "fairly priced" for what you get relative to the competition. I think $1K is too low for the X1 - too close to DP1/2 prices and the Leica will arguably be WAY better build quality. But $2K puts it in an opportunity cost area that is pretty deep. I'm thinking $1500 should have been the price. That would reflect the red dot tax, justify the better build quality, and excuse the slow lens.

Braeside

Too limited for me - fixed lens - no thanks - not at that price, red dot or not.

GF-1 getting my close attention now.

N

nei1

If its really quick itll be worth it especially if its well built.If not the DP2 is looking like a bargain.

iiiNelson

I really wished the X1 were m4/3.
Agree 100%. I was holding out on buying a new Micro 4/3 body in hopes that they changed their 4/3 stance. I love the look and form factor of the X1. I hate the price and lack of versatility. Final reservations for when I actually get my hands on it but I'd say I'd rather put $2K towards an M9 or another camera.

Seriously $2K for a glorified point and shoot is absurd to be nice about it.Ican't really say much bad about the M9. I'm trying to really convince myself to start saving up for one.

nostatic

what's annoying is that my DLux4 is f2 at the wide end. I know it is a much smaller sensor they are covering, but for $2K they could have put a cron up front. As was said above, I think many of us would be more seriously looking at piggy banks around the house if it had a fast lens.

Or maybe the f2.8 provides a convenient excuse to save money ;)

iiiNelson

what's annoying is that my DLux4 is f2 at the wide end. I know it is a much smaller sensor they are covering, but for $2K they could have put a cron up front. As was said above, I think many of us would be more seriously looking at piggy banks around the house if it had a fast lens.

Or maybe the f2.8 provides a convenient excuse to save money ;)
I agree that a f/2 would have made more sense especially coming from the same D-Lux 4 mindset as you. A f/1.4 would be better and almost definitely be enough to justify the cost to most people though.

T

totallynatural

I too was hoping (in hindsight, very very optimistically) that the X1 was going to be priced at around £1000-1500. I love the style of it, the shutter speed dial etc, pop up flash etc. I do not doubt at all that the X1 will be capable in the right hands of fantastic pics.

At that price I may have been able to sell a few things (including my current camera) to afford it (I prefer to shoot at a single focal length using primes) and like the 35-40mm field of view. I also find using a single focal length forces me to think more about framing shots.

The price of £2000, however, for a fixed focal length knocks it straight out of the ball park for me.

I am also miffed that the optional viewfinder still does not come with an focus assist light (especially as I assume it will not be a cheap accessory).

I think I'll stick to saving for some M-mount primes for my G1. I know Leica is considered 'elite' in terms of its products but I thought they were trying to get new customers (and £1000-1500 for fixed lens camera still isn't cheap).

By pricing it as they did they relegate a lot of keen photographers who are not affluent but who would eventually like to own a leica product to continually dreaming.:sleep006:

Fingers crossed rumours about an pentax mount interchangeable lens Ricoh are true...heres hoping :)

If thats fails I'd better start saving for a M9 (or M11 as it will be by the time I can afford one :) )

Last edited: