The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 images

LJL

Some of us may recall seeing that same sort of line in the M8 files long, long ago. Not suggesting the M9 will have the same sorts of issues, and I really, really hope that it does not, but high ISO is still not the forte of Leica. They are getting a lot better, but still some kinks to get worked out. Not unlike some of the banding issues that Nikon had before they got things smoothed out.

LJ

Daniel

Some of us may recall seeing that same sort of line in the M8 files long, long ago. Not suggesting the M9 will have the same sorts of issues, and I really, really hope that it does not, but high ISO is still not the forte of Leica. They are getting a lot better, but still some kinks to get worked out. Not unlike some of the banding issues that Nikon had before they got things smoothed out.

LJ
i hope this was a fluke.

LJL

Well, there is something about reading and clearing the photosites at those higher ISOs that can become a challenge. I think all image files have some issues at the higher limits of what the sensor is supposed to be able to capture. It just was much more pronounced as this sort of line in the M8. I have lots of high ISO shots from the M8 with this sort of problem, and just learned not to shoot at ISO 2500.

So I too am hoping this is something easily corrected with firmware, but it is unsettling to see it again.

LJ

Lloyd

Yikes!! Here's a shot at ISO 320. It's subtle but it's there... visible in the area under the arm of the man in the background. (Guy, I tried to upload the full-size images to the gallery, and it won't take them.)

I bought the M8 the first day it was available, and my original copy had a very pronounced line through the frame. Much more visible than this. I have noticed that my latest M8 (my 3rd copy) still has a very subtle line at high ISO.
View attachment 21841
View attachment 21840

View attachment 21839

Last edited:

robertwright

...it will be there at all iso's just more visible at higher iso's. also it is independent of raw processors.

usually the line problems is intermittent in the beginning but eventually becomes permanent. Mine featured a stuck pixel as well. Eventually Leica replaced the sensor.

camera needs to go in...

but I'd blame kodak more, it is a "feature" of their sensors.

thomas

Here's a shot at ISO 320. It's subtle but it's there...
set the luminance noise reduction to zero and it will be more obvious.
I had the very same with 2 P21+ backs. De-focus, underexpose 1 stop, set lumin. NR to zero and and push the contrast in the RAW converter and you'll see it quite good.

robertwright

You should be able to go straight back and exchange it no? It was probably like this out of the box, you just didn't see it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lloyd what version firmware . there is a update out there to 1.02 but I am not sure what it exactly does

robertwright

I've said it before, not all kodak sensors are created equal-my first M8 exhibited pixel blooming defects from the get go and eventually developed the stuck pixel-line issue. After it was replaced both issues were corrected. I have never seen the same blooming issue in any other M8 or in posted pics. Kodak's quality control seems to miss sometimes.

You could think of it like a decentered lens. Just part of the manufacturing "process" that you don't have to accept. Guess we have to ask for three samples and test all M's now before taking them home. Dealers will be pleased no doubt.

robertwright

Lloyd what version firmware . there is a update out there to 1.02 but I am not sure what it exactly does
my stuck row persisted through a couple firmware updates. I was waiting to send it in for the upgrade so lived with it. but firmware is not going to fix it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You certainly maybe right Robert just checking some of the obvious things to start. And I agree you can get a bad sensor

robertwright

I certainly went around the mulberry bush with mine so my advice is cut to the chase scene. I also have a GRD-II with a line...maybe its just me!:D

heck, even my M6 had some sort of issue with the shutter that left a dark line near the top of the frame, chasing that "bug" down was even worse:p

did I ever tell you about the 5D that the mirror fell out...:ROTFL:

and don't get me started on shimming sliding backs for large format:wtf:

You certainly maybe right Robert just checking some of the obvious things to start. And I agree you can get a bad sensor