The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 images

Terry

The camera has to be set to Automatic to detect the coding. It it's on manual, it must be set manually. However, from what I've seen, I don't think there is much going on with the settings other than the metadata having the focal length and maximum aperture of the lens mounted. Most of the adjustments made via the coding on when on the M8 have be eliminated (as has the need for IR filters). I accidently shot some with an IR filter still mounted, and did not a little subtle vignetting, but that was all. The camera seemed to work well whether I set the proper code, had a coded lens on auto or not.
Ha, I actually deleted my post after reading the manual. From what I've heard you still want to make sure your wides are coded or selected in the menu.

robertwright

It was my first thought when the M9 was announced-damn-I sold my 12mm!

I think the hood might be an issue-even the stock CV hood might vignette a little?

There is no doubt it will not be as great a lens as it was on the M8-but we are talking 12mm rectilinear after all, and not absurdly priced.

My bet is that it is not as bad as these samples seem to suggest. some extreme corner funkiness notwithstanding.

The new 15cv focus coupled is another one I am dying to see full frame.

JimCollum

50mm lux preasph (wide open)
focus was at 1M (unfortunate that the camera won't focus to the lens' .7M)

100% crop

all images at ISO 400
no noise reduction
no sharpening
Lightroom 2.4

GlennB

Thanks David. Mine is back in their hands. Not another available until the 3rd shipment, so I'm on the sidelines for a while at least. I may just sit back and see how this shakes out. I have a habit of being an early adopter, and you'd think I'd learn. There are many, many things to love about the M9... I can see that a great deal of thought (and listening to input from working photogs) went into its design and function. I was (am?) more than excited to work with one... there are indeed some fantastic qualities to it's images. BTW, to me one of the best things about it was the big, bright viewfinder... and I loved that the framelines for my telephoto lenses was so much larger. Much easier to frame and to focus.
Lloyd,
VERY sorry to hear of your M9's problem. Hope they can take care of you with another M9 faster than what they are telling you.
Wishing you the best,
GlennB

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
C1 is coming out with 4.8.3 tomorrow that supports the M9 files and has some other improvements as well . Plus Snow leopard improvements , can't wait. I am already loaded with SL now

Paratom

M9 with 50mm,640iso.

What I really like is that you can manually slect the lens and therefore use all kind of uncoded lenses, like my old 35mm Summicron for example.

DOF is even shallower and therefore focus shift, frontfocus etc. even more visible (from my first experiences).

wjlapier

Hey Lloyd, sorry about the camera.

35lux shot--that's the glow, huh. I've never shot with the 35lux, but have seen that glow in a Victar 50/2.8 :p

50lux shot, looks great--nice colors.

2500ISO--looks good to me--kinda like D300 3200ISO.

Good stuff--great camera!

Stuart Richardson

Lloyd -- just in case you want to know what was going on with your sensor --
I had the same thing happen with my DMR. I was finally told that it was a hot pixel that receives too much voltage. This causes a cascade down the whole sensor line, leading to a higher luminance. These hot pixels can be mapped out -- basically they just turn off that sensor site, and the chain reaction stops. Then they just have the software make that pixel identical to the pixel next to it. You can't do that at home though. But I think you were right to return it -- you should not have to deal with that in a new camera.

Mine looked like this and appeared spontaneously on this image after about 8000 photos with the DMR. It did not go away: