The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Playing with the M9 now, first thoughts...

tashley

Subscriber Member
I got the steel gray one today and, rather fortuitously, managed to sell my 8.2 to someone I met in the shop at what I think was a good price for both of us.

First impressions are that it's lovely, that the new menu system is great, that I might miss the top window indicator, that at ISO1250 it seems pretty similar to my 5DII (which I don't have with me so I can't compare directly) and that ISO 2500 looks pretty darned good too.

It works ok with my CV15 as long as you manually set it up as a tri-elmay at 16mm. Weirdly, most of my 28 cron shots seem a little off focus but the sample is still small. 50 Lux is stellar as always. The joker is the CV F2.5 35mm Skopar which was always great on the M8 but at first sight is a little weak at the edges on the M9. Ohm and at delivery it has a HUGE dust spot on the sensor and guess who doesn't have a rocket blower with him?!

Right: I have to go shoot this beasty properly but I think I'm going to like it! And I can't wait to read Jono and Michael R's reviews too, and to test it on my other lenses which I don't currently have with me.

They had a Canadian pre-asp 35 cron in the shop. Anyone have any opinions on this one?

Best

Tim

M

matmcdermott

It works with the M8 just fine and was a fine performer on film, but I ended up selling mine as I found the 35mm focal length to be a bit in-between on the M8 for my eye

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So do we have a verdict??????????????????????????

Sheesh, now you're being a tease. :ROTFL:

I know it is too early to form a real opinion, but the images I am seeing are reminiscent of the DMR. This looks promising.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Guys,

Just got back from the party. Wow!

I think Leica have got it right. I've not got a lot to add to what Jono, Sean and David have said really. I think 1250, even 2000 are pretty useable and 2500 depends on what colour mix the light has and how well exposed but will sometimes be useable (depending on the, err... use) and will sometimes band a little.

The new ergonomics are great too. There's only one fly in my ointment which is that my glass (CV15 and 35, 28 Cron, Nocti F1 and 50 lux and 90 macro) was all fully and perfectly functional on my M8.2 but that's not the case with the RF adjustment on the M9 where the 28 Cron is just slightly off all the time and the 50 Lux can't 'do' infinity properly - the RF patches don't align distant straight line at any point and the results show it. I don't have the Nocti and 90 macro with me, nor will I til Monday as I'll be in Ireland til then. So I will bottom all this out then. Looks like it will be boring but necessary and I suspect we'll see some threads on it.

The sensor was very specky at delivery too and my rocket blower hand is worn out but things are a lot better now.

But it's great to be shooting the M again. I had sort of given up on the 8.2 since the 5DII arrived but a stroll with the 9 gives you M flexibility, speed and stealth with 5DII resolution. So you can get grab shots you'd otherwise miss....
View attachment 21878

ps I played with a very interesting prototype today... very interesting indeed!

nostatic

ps I played with a very interesting prototype today... very interesting indeed!
hints? Or will you have to kill us?

Just picked up my 5D and am charging the battery. Have to admit that I look at the Canon 50/1.2 and then the svelte Leica 50/1.4 and say "hmm..."

B

bender

I have heard mixed results using the CV 15mm. Some are saying the vignetting and color shifts are really brutal to point that it could take a lot of post work to try and correct. Are you happy with the results of manually configuring it as a 16mm tri-elmar?

thanks

tashley

Subscriber Member
hints? Or will you have to kill us?

Just picked up my 5D and am charging the battery. Have to admit that I look at the Canon 50/1.2 and then the svelte Leica 50/1.4 and say "hmm..."
Death, certainly. But I will say that whatever it was, I WANT ONE and will likely be selling a whole lot of stuff to get it!

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have heard mixed results using the CV 15mm. Some are saying the vignetting and color shifts are really brutal to point that it could take a lot of post work to try and correct. Are you happy with the results of manually configuring it as a 16mm tri-elmar?

thanks
Not really sure yet - I only used it for a few cityscapes over the rooftops to see if it was sharp (it was fairly good to the edges but not perfect) and it was dusk with lots of colour to the sky and clouds in striated sheets and bands, lit partly by the last of the sun and a little by city lights so.. I couldn't really assess the colour shift issues.

But I will report back when a get a better sense of it. I am not optimistic, given what I am hearing elsewhere...

B

bender

Thanks, looking forward to it!

Not really sure yet - I only used it for a few cityscapes over the rooftops to see if it was sharp (it was fairly good to the edges but not perfect) and it was dusk with lots of colour to the sky and clouds in striated sheets and bands, lit partly by the last of the sun and a little by city lights so.. I couldn't really assess the colour shift issues.

But I will report back when a get a better sense of it. I am not optimistic, given what I am hearing elsewhere...