The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Attending the New York Product Introduction

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Today I was fortunate to be in NYC and was able to attend the Leica New Product Introductions. It may be of some interest to share my reflections on what I learned that will not be covered in the many excellent product reviews.

First there were probably 50-70 in attendance ..including the leica executives.

In the room there were maybe 6-8 exceptional 3' X 4' prints from the brochures. The Cuba images from the M9 brochure were so good ..I had to ask ...how could I use anything better. The web often doesn t do justice to the IQ but the prints were superb. Granted that desaturated color is harder to judge for tone separation(micro contrast).

The S2 images were likewise striking but any MF taken with flash can blow away most prints for pure IQ. This campaign needs another take to demonstate the S2 capability. (mobility,field ready etc). Looks like a great studio shoot.

LEICA PRESENTATIONS

What you probably can t see from the web broadcast ...was the stress on the leica executives. They were clearly uncomfortable (certainly language issues contributed). Certainly they were very proud of the new products ..but also seemed aware that the next few months will be critical.

What was interesting was the discussion of the product positioning . High on emotion ..low on specifics . Absolutely no details discussed. Yet they did a good job of explaining that each product was unique. Nothing like a M9 out there ..if you like rangefinders..its a damn fine product . The S2 described as having the handling,weather sealing etc of a DSLR and the image quality of MF. And the new X1 as the small take everywhere camera with DSLR quality. Good job well done .

Seal s presentation was a reflection of what makes a real leica fan. It starts with the word "joy" and included black and white images of his family. He talked about how leica was an important part of his life....and he showed thru the images why? Just a superb presentation. This appeared to be pretty last minute..he had his presentation notes there . I thought his best line was when his wife asked him..."how can you possibly need another camera"....he said "most..in my profession are into sex,drugs and rock and roll......I just have a few Leica s " . Her response was "sounds good".

PRODUCT HANDLING OPPORTUNITY

The M9 is an M8.2 with a better sensor and a few evolutionary features. Pick it up and you have to look to see what model it is. The silver grey model is pretty nice actually looked a lot like riccis "hammertone MP".

The S2 is simply a winner....we had working models . Pick one up and close your eyes.....its a Leica. The viewfinder is superb and the autofocus fast (like a D3). The LCD display is super . They had the 35 2.5 asph,the 180 apo and the 70 ..maybe more .

The X1 was less compelling to was a little odd after seeing the perfection of the M9 and the S2.....they have a new 36mm finder which is great . The lens mount is the typical plastic fold out cup style....yuk. I would have rather had a pancake style metal mount . The body itself felt fine . Didn t take the time to test how fast it focuses or the lag time ..both issues with other competitors.

Also met numerous forum members from here and the LUF .....the mood was up beat and very positive . :thumbs:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the interesting report, Roger. So, did you place your order for M9s ... or, were they already ordered? ;)

Kurt

Bigfeet

All I have to say is "lucky"...

I was able to look through several pages of images on a laptop taken with a S2 and a M9. Both cameras are amazing. I wish I could afford a S2. I will buy a M9 no doubt.

Bigfeet

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
M9 s (2) are on order....I expect one next week but getting two may take a little longer.

Had a just amazing trip street shooting in NYC as well. Three days at the US Open...I can now prove that you can shoot action with a rangefinder(but the effort level is exceptionally high).

The S2 was pretty amazing as well ...biggest surprise was the shutter/mirror dampening. Smooth and solid..none of this keeerr plunk stuff. How people choose to use it will be interesting as its clearly between the high end DSLR and MF ? For now I will concentrate on the M9 s and reworking my travel kit around FF.

I did get to shoot new Noctilux as well. Its the 50 1.4 asph look (darn near perfect ) with a faster .95 aperture . Not sure it does what I want for night shooting...because the original Noctilux really shines at night. No chance for a fair evaluation.