The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

I posted my earlier shot on my Flickr account, and someone suggested I try an HDR version. I have Photomatix Pro, but seldom use it... I really have no idea what I'm doing. Anyway, the earlier version was pretty much straight out of the camera, and this one HDR, with a Curves adjustment added in PS4 after the Photomatix treatment.

Such as it is, here it is:
View attachment 13836

The original:

Last edited:

endre novak

I posted my earlier shot on my Flickr account, and someone suggested I try an HDR version. I have Photomatix Pro, but seldom use it... I really have no idea what I'm doing. Anyway, the earlier version was pretty much straight out of the camera, and this one HDR, with a Curves adjustment added in PS4 after the Photomatix treatment.

View attachment 13836

The original:

both are impressive, hdr is appropiate, indeed.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Lloyd - There are two things that strike me about the HDR image. First, the "light" on the mountains seems to be without a source. This can be OK and I think could be used as an aesthetic device to advantage but I would have to make a clear decision about this and work the image with this idea in mind. I like the original image with the dark foreground and bright sky but after seeing the HDR image I would be tempted to experiment and try to bring out some more detail in the dark area (like the mountain tops) with an adjustment layer (curves/levels/brightness-contrast) on a selection rather than the HDR technique.

Secondly, the HDR seems to blow some areas in the sky so that needs taming. I realize this is an experiment for you and that you are not facile with the program.

Hope this doesn't sound too nit-picky but this is how the one HDR image struck me. You post so many fabulous (and flawless) images on this thread I must say.

jaapv

Subscriber Member

I must confess I like the original better. It is unearthy spectacular as it is; the HDR version looks like a photoshop creation and detaches itself from reality altogether.

View attachment 13836

The original:

Lloyd

I must confess I like the original better. It is unearthy spectacular as it is; the HDR version looks like a photoshop creation and detaches itself from reality altogether.
I'm leaning that way myself. I think I will do some experimenting, but it's hard to improve on Mother Nature.;)

jonoslack

I'm leaning that way myself. I think I will do some experimenting, but it's hard to improve on Mother Nature.;)
Hi Lloyd
I have yet to see an HDR photo I actually like . . . I've no problem in theory, I just think they look odd, and not particularly attractive.

Fab pic of your daughter incidentally

Lloyd

Lloyd - There are two things that strike me about the HDR image. First, the "light" on the mountains seems to be without a source. This can be OK and I think could be used as an aesthetic device to advantage but I would have to make a clear decision about this and work the image with this idea in mind. I like the original image with the dark foreground and bright sky but after seeing the HDR image I would be tempted to experiment and try to bring out some more detail in the dark area (like the mountain tops) with an adjustment layer (curves/levels/brightness-contrast) on a selection rather than the HDR technique.

Secondly, the HDR seems to blow some areas in the sky so that needs taming. I realize this is an experiment for you and that you are not facile with the program.

Hope this doesn't sound too nit-picky but this is how the one HDR image struck me. You post so many fabulous (and flawless) images on this thread I must say.
Not nit-picky at all. I very much appreciate the input.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd
I have yet to see an HDR photo I actually like . . . I've no problem in theory, I just think they look odd, and not particularly attractive.

Fab pic of your daughter incidentally
Thanks, Jono.

I'm with you on that in general. I was impressed with the first HDR images I saw, interesting just because they were very different. The more I saw, however, the less impressed I became. Then recently I've seen some that I didn't realize were HDR until it was pointed out to me. Those I found acceptable. Here's a link to a fellow on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpn/who pretty well covers the continuum from strange (intentionally, I think) to very nearly real HDR. It was seeing his work that prompted me to get the HDR program... I just can't sort out how to use it (mostly for lack of trying.)

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Thank you Lloyd! This is one of those images that I really wanted to work, but had to work hard at to get even close. Fog is sometimes hard to portray, at least from the standpoint of coming close to what it looked like to the naked eye. Glad you like it.

Reynolds

Workshop Member

I must be in my "dark phase"...visited Congressional Cemetary near the US Capitol in Washington this morning. First visit to my old boss's grave and some other luminaries. What do you think?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Hi Reynolds,

I really like the dark mood of the first two, and they are superbly processed to render the mood! However the last one of Sousa is perhaps a bit too dark, at least for color and for my tastes.

Reynolds

Workshop Member

You guys are great!! Brady could NOT have taken the shot of his own grave, right?

Jack, here's another take on Sousa that you might like better.

Also, what can I do with that signature? I know you are not fond of it and I think it's a bit "much" myself. I want something personal on the images...not a business watermark. Any thoughts?

ALSO, I am using LR2.3 and CS3. Since upgrading to 2.3 from 2.3RC, when I go to "edit in PS" from LR, PS opens but the image doesn't. What's that all about? Do I need to get CS4 or something?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Reynolds - I like the processing in the fist image, the tones really suit the subject matter well and it creates a nice mood.

How are you doing the signature? A simple thing to try - in Photoshop, put it on its own layer and reduce the opacity of that layer. That will tone it down and you can vary the opacity depending on the image. Also, in the second and third image the signature is placed fine but in the fist image I would move it to the bottom right so it doesn't compete with the "Hoover" text in the image. Same with the second Sousa photo.

The Hoover and the Brady both have a nice mood.

Lloyd

You guys are great!! Brady could NOT have taken the shot of his own grave, right?

Jack, here's another take on Sousa that you might like better.

Also, what can I do with that signature? I know you are not fond of it and I think it's a bit "much" myself. I want something personal on the images...not a business watermark. Any thoughts?

ALSO, I am using LR2.3 and CS3. Since upgrading to 2.3 from 2.3RC, when I go to "edit in PS" from LR, PS opens but the image doesn't. What's that all about? Do I need to get CS4 or something?
I like this one much better than the earlier iteration. I agree about the signature here, I would move it to the bottom right, so it doesn't compete with subject of the image.