The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

This is sort of a "Rayon purse from a sow's ear." Not much of a shot, but I do like the clouds and rocks. The 28 cron again.

DavidE

Trees and clouds with the 28 cron.

We have a gap in our wooded yard that creates a circle for the sunlight to come through. When the clouds look especially interesting I hang out of a second-story window and grab some shots. It's a nice break when I have a lot of work to do.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

DavidE

More trees and clouds.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

jonoslack

Well Lloyd, your fake trees are fine, and so are David's trees and clouds, but Tim, that Rayon purse is really lovely - fine sensible composition, a great black and white conversion and a seaside sparkle (that I know so well) all go together to make a great shot

. . . .where is it?

DavidE

I also agree.

If that's Rayon, I can only imagine what silk must look like (actually I don't have to imagine, as it was Tim's fine work -- as well as Jono's, Lloyd's and others' here -- that encouraged me to buy a Leica in the first place).

Lloyd

Glad you did, David. I enjoy your images very much.

jonoslack

Glad you did, David. I enjoy your images very much.
Absolutely - it really does seem to be about the image around here.

We do need to persuade Jorgen to buy one though (even though he might humiliate us all).:bugeyes:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Thanks for the kind words gents! I say Rayon because the original RAW file was a bit humdrum and I passed over it many times before considering a B&W version (Silk is reserved for those rare shots that tumble out seemingly without effort.) It made a difference but required a bit of post to make it happen.

And David, how are you making your IR conversions? It makes for a very dramatic landscape. Well done!

p.s. That's Taveuni, in the Fiji Islands.

DavidE

David, how are you making your IR conversions? It makes for a very dramatic landscape. Well done!
Thanks, Tim.

I'm doing the conversions in Lightroom. I start by applying some settings I had stumbled upon previously. Then I change the settings until they seem to suit the image. The settings are fairly extreme -- with suped-up contrast, clarity, and blacks. It's mostly a matter of trial and error.

These are less dramatic, less three-dimensional, more toned down (by comparison). The other processing didn't work so well with these two.

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Thanks, Tim.

These are less dramatic, less three-dimensional, more toned down (by comparison). The other processing didn't work so well with these two.
Thanks for that David. I like these as well. But then I'm old fashioned. :p

DavidE

A friend and her daughter.
That's a terrific image, Lloyd. Great expressions on both of their faces. The lens and processing look really good too -- nice and sharp, with even gray tones.

Last edited:

Lloyd

That's a terrific image, Lloyd. Great expressions on both of their faces. The lens and processing look really good too -- nice and sharp, with even gray tones.
Thanks David. That lens is really one of my guilty pleasures. Sharp as a tack, and cheap as dirt ($349.00, if I remember correctly). Nice bokeh too. I've though about getting another 90 AA, but 'if it ain't broke...'.

As for the processing. It's Lightroom, with a TMax 400 preset I found online. Glad you like it.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Nice one Lloyd! Your found formula for Tri-X in LR works really well.