The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

skimmel

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Right now I use my LowePro Slingshot 100 AW (I have the 200 and the 300 as well). It's a pretty good bag, but I've wanted to try some others. I don't like bags that scream "I'm a camera bag, steal me!" So I'm still looking for that "perfect bag".
Thanks. I am too. Seems like a never ending quest!

otumay

Steve, those images are dazzling, especially the pose of His Royal Highness! One of the best photographs I've ever seen! Wow! You made my day...
Best,
Osman

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Excellent! All of them are terrific but the first is special. I think the 90 really shines here at this distance from the subject. Nice work.

dfarkas

Workshop Member

Some shots while traveling over the weekend. This is Virginia in the rain. All M8.2 and 90mm Elmarit.

David

jonoslack

HI David
I especially like the first one, your weather looks like ours here
:-(

dfarkas

Workshop Member

Some more, these from a farmer's market in Falls Church, VA. M8.2 and 90 Elmarit. I like my 90. ;)

David

Lloyd

Some more, these from a farmer's market in Falls Church, VA. M8.2 and 90 Elmarit. I like my 90. ;)

David
Easy to see why you like it! Very nice... definitely got the green theme going here.;)

What is the minimum focusing distance with that Elmarit?

jonoslack

Easy to see why you like it! Very nice... definitely got the green theme going here.;)

HI Lloyd
It's 1 metre, which still gives a decent magnification of 1:9.
It's a little lighter than the 75 'cron, and about 1cm longer.

It's a nice little lens, David's inspired me to get mine out again.

Lloyd

Thanks, Jono. I've been toying with the idea of acquiring one. I passed on one at a super low price. Should have jumped, but it's sometimes hard to explain to the boss why I need 3 or 4 of every focal length. :D

dfarkas

Workshop Member

Lars,

Thanks for the comments. You just don't get tones like this in Florida (where I live), so I love this kind of light, color, and texture.

The 90 Elmarit's scale goes down to 1m, but you can turn it a bit further, so I'd guess 0.9m. These shots are all uncropped (except for the M8's builit-in 1.3x).

It's really too bad that Leica discontinued this wonderful lens. When the Summarit 90 came out, the Elmarit became redundant. The Summarit was 1/2 stop faster, cost $500 less, and focused much faster. I'm sure the Summarit is just as good optically, but I never got rid of my Elmarit. It's long since paid-for and I don't really need the extra 1/2 stop.

David

jonoslack

It's really too bad that Leica discontinued this wonderful lens. When the Summarit 90 came out, the Elmarit became redundant. The Summarit was 1/2 stop faster, cost $500 less, and focused much faster. I'm sure the Summarit is just as good optically, but I never got rid of my Elmarit. It's long since paid-for and I don't really need the extra 1/2 stop.

David
I've never really compared the specs with the summarit before, you can see why they discontinued the elmarit, the summarit is also smaller, lighter and focuses to the same magnification. The only obvious advantage the elmarit has is the built in lens hood.

your pictures are great David, love the peas.

jonoslack

Thanks, Jono. I've been toying with the idea of acquiring one. I passed on one at a super low price. Should have jumped, but it's sometimes hard to explain to the boss why I need 3 or 4 of every focal length. :D
Tell me about it - still, this is one of the lenses that seems to be really cheap secondhand - either nobody wants them, or there are too many about!

Mine was the first leica lens I bought (together with a 50 'cron).

actually, I'm rather good at the moment, not too much duplication:

15 CV
Wate
25 zeiss
28 'cron
50 zeiss sonnar
75 'cron
90 elmarit

rather restrained I'd say :angel: