The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

cam

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Tell me about it - still, this is one of the lenses that seems to be really cheap secondhand - either nobody wants them, or there are too many about!

Mine was the first leica lens I bought (together with a 50 'cron).
ah, the 90 Elmarit.... wanted to test out the 90 Cron Asph (you know i'm a speed freak) but never found one to try. not that i could afford it, either.... an inexpensive Elmarit, however, is one of the goodies i'm looking for at the big photo fair here this weekend.

i know i've been told to get the most recent model, but is it really so much better than the older models?

Scargos2

Sunflowers are up in My backyard . Shot with a old 50mm cron @f2
And a little cropping needed ,only upped the green a little

dfarkas

Workshop Member

ah, the 90 Elmarit.... wanted to test out the 90 Cron Asph (you know i'm a speed freak) but never found one to try. not that i could afford it, either.... an inexpensive Elmarit, however, is one of the goodies i'm looking for at the big photo fair here this weekend.

i know i've been told to get the most recent model, but is it really so much better than the older models?
Cam,

I use the most recent model. I don't have access to my reference books, but I do think the latest version is a different optical formula.

David

Lloyd

Tell me about it - still, this is one of the lenses that seems to be really cheap secondhand - either nobody wants them, or there are too many about!

Mine was the first leica lens I bought (together with a 50 'cron).

actually, I'm rather good at the moment, not too much duplication:

15 CV
Wate
25 zeiss
28 'cron
50 zeiss sonnar
75 'cron
90 elmarit

rather restrained I'd say :angel:
Your self-restraint is an example to us all. :thumbup:

jonoslack

Your self-restraint is an example to us all. :thumbup:
I thought so, all you geysers with your 5x50s 3x35s and 6 x 20 somethings are a source of great jealousy to the rest of us.:):ROTFL:

stevem8

Thanks guys for the kind words on my Zoo shots. Also, David, your 90 Elmarit shots are AWESOME! Perfect light and color :) I have been driving ALL day and just got back home but here are a couple more images with the 90 cron. All F2 and ISO 1250.

Lloyd

I thought so, all you geysers with your 5x50s 3x35s and 6 x 20 somethings are a source of great jealousy to the rest of us.:):ROTFL:
Hey! I only have 4x50s!... and a few other little... you know:eek:

Lloyd

Hmm, yes, do you have a zeiss sonnar and a pre-asph lux? which is best?
No, sadly, I don't currently have either, and I've never tried the zeiss sonnar, though Steve's recent postings certainly tempt me. I LOVE the pre-lux, but honestly I don't see a lot of difference between it and the CV 50/1.5 Nokton. I think the pre-lux is better built, etc., but image-wise, it's a push, as far as I'm concerned.

As for 50s, I currently have the Nocti, the CV Nokton (it's my second copy, I'm a fan), a Cron (early version, and a sweet lens), and a 50/2 Summitar, which my father purchased in Germany in 1946 along with a Leica IIIc, which I now own.

woodyspedden

Thanks guys for the kind words on my Zoo shots. Also, David, your 90 Elmarit shots are AWESOME! Perfect light and color :) I have been driving ALL day and just got back home but here are a couple more images with the 90 cron. All F2 and ISO 1250.

Steve

I am curious. Did you use a ring flash for these intimate portraits of the animals. They are fabulous and I would like to learn more about how you got them

Sincerely

Woody Spedden
Fort Collins, Colorado 80528

woodyspedden

No, sadly, I don't currently have either, and I've never tried the zeiss sonnar, though Steve's recent postings certainly tempt me. I LOVE the pre-lux, but honestly I don't see a lot of difference between it and the CV 50/1.5 Nokton. I think the pre-lux is better built, etc., but image-wise, it's a push, as far as I'm concerned.

As for 50s, I currently have the Nocti, the CV Nokton (it's my second copy, I'm a fan), a Cron (early version, and a sweet lens), and a 50/2 Summitar, which my father purchased in Germany in 1946 along with a Leica IIIc, which I now own.
Lloyd

It is remarkable that your dad realized the value of what he purchased in 1946 and saved it for you. That just makes me feel wonderful! You are a fortunate man

Woody

stevem8

Steve

I am curious. Did you use a ring flash for these intimate portraits of the animals. They are fabulous and I would like to learn more about how you got them

Sincerely

Woody Spedden
Fort Collins, Colorado 80528
Hey Woody,

Nope, no flash at all. Just the 90 Cron, and the M8.2 set at ISO 1250. I shot RAW and processed these in ACR and converted to BW using Alien Skin filters.

I find these Leica lenses really suck in the light when wide open and I got lucky with ISO 1250 as I have in the past. Now, ISO 2500 is another story. Thanks!

Lloyd

Lloyd

It is remarkable that your dad realized the value of what he purchased in 1946 and saved it for you. That just makes me feel wonderful! You are a fortunate man

Woody
Indeed, Woody. Yes indeed.