The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

75 Cron wide open, ISO 1250

Beautiful portrait. Your daughter is growing up... lovely girl. You've always had a way with that 75. Do you find it easier to focus on the M9 than on the M8. Might have been my imagination, but I thought I did.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Thanks Lloyd ... the 35lux is my favorite on the M8. I wonder how it'll feel on the M9.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd ... the 35lux is my favorite on the M8. I wonder how it'll feel on the M9.
I'm sure there will be an adjustment. When I shot the M9, I noticed right away that my 50 "felt" like my 35s did on my M8. I do think you'll really like shooting the 35 lux wide open on the M9. Especially in close.

Stuart Richardson

The 35 lux is my favorite normal lens on film -- I think you will find that it performs beautifully on full frame. It allows for a moderately wide angle of view with good separation from the background. It is a great general purpose lens. I will admit, however, that on the M8 I preferred using the 28mm and 50mm, and on film the 35mm and 75mm....

P.S. Very cool shot!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Thanks Lloyd and Stuart. So far, I'm preparing a 35lux and 75lux kit and will adjust by taking an extra step back and forward to re-orient myself to full-frame.

Kurt

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Lloyd. It's getting harder and harder to get these natural candid moments, as she's reaching the age now where she is very concious of the camera being pointed at her.

I do find the 75 cron easier to focus and frame on the M9. I also just got a 90 APO cron, so will be getting a feel for the 75 vs 90 over the next couple of weeks. Eventually, I'll likely need to settle on one of them, and sell the other.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Mike I found the 90mm about as needed as you can get. I used it a ton during my testing and real shooting. With the summarit I seriously had about a 98 percent keeper rate on focus. That is damn good for a RF system and a long lens. If I did by a M9 i would buy the Cron for the speed but those that do not need it or want something smaller the 90mm summarit rocks on the m9 as well.

Rolo

Do you find it easier to focus on the M9 than on the M8. Might have been my imagination, but I thought I did.
Lloyd, Mike, that impression is being posted elsewhere. It doesn't seem logical to me as the viewfinder image and focus patch is unchanged. Nevertheless, there appears to be a change and I'm wondering what it can be.

Might be better positioning of the sensor, or a minor adjustment to the rangefinder, dunno :confused:

Any ideas ?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

I haven't used the M8 for about four months, so the 75 cron focusing thing is just a perception/memory thing for me. I don't have any analysis or side-by-side comparison to draw on to know if the M9 is really easier to focus or not.

Lloyd

I use me M8 often, and while I don't have a theory as to why, I can say that I seemed to get a higher percentage of keepers with the M9 and the longer glass. That was especially true of the 75 Lux, which can be notoriously hard to focus wide open. Maybe it's that the "shorter" lens on the FF just puts your eye "closer" to the subject, allowing you better vision of what you're focusing on at the the time.

Lloyd

M8 & 90mm Elmarit.
That is a powerful image. And that b/w conversion is without peer.
:salute:

Would you be willing to share more about the image, and maybe also how you did the conversion? Thanks in advance.

iiiNelson

M8 & 90mm Elmarit.
I saw this image posted somewhere else I believe. I believe the subject was a Cuban boxer that was shot in the eye. I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere around the time the M9 was offficially unveiled a few weeks ago.

Lloyd

I saw this image posted somewhere else I believe. I believe the subject was a Cuban boxer that was shot in the eye. I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere around the time the M9 was offficially unveiled a few weeks ago.
I was thinking I'd seen it in LFI or something. Amazing image all the same.

iiiNelson

That's possible. I went over there for a bit after the M9 was released to check the temperature of the announcement.

Lloyd

That's possible. I went over there for a bit after the M9 was released to check the temperature of the announcement.
Not LUF (Leica User's Forum), which I suppose is possible, I meant LFI (Leica Fotografie International... the magazine, which has an online version. Here's the LINK.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Kurt, I like all of the lines and textures. I didn't even notice the second sheep at first. My eye was so drawn to the prominent sheep. Is that the Lux 35 ASPH? I had the non-ASPH on my M8 at one point. I would love to give the ASPH a try, but I've heard so much about focus shift that I've been scared off.

Rolo, That is a very powerful image.

iiiNelson

Not LUF (Leica User's Forum), which I suppose is possible, I meant LFI (Leica Fotografie International... the magazine, which has an online version. Here's the LINK.
Oh okay... Gotcha.

Well I've never been there but I may have seen it on LUF or somewhere else.