The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

GlennB

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Hate to burden your sensibilities with shots from the clearly inferior, wholly pedestrian, and now totally outdated M8, but since it's what's at hand, here are a few shots from a walk before work this am. All with my 1964 50 Summicron. All except the last shot were wide open. That one was at f5.6.

Lloyd, REALLY like these ! But makes me sad that I can't use the only old lens I still have, my Leica 50mm cron DR, on the M8.
Glenn

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Spent the week in Charlotte on business, and had the M9 with me. Not much chance to shoot (between long work hours, and bad weather), but I did get out for a couple of walks around town.

Here are a few snaps I took around downtown Charlotte.

Most of these are with the 28 cron, either wide open or f5.6. A couple are with the ZM 21.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Charlotte by night, in black and white...

All with the 28 cron, except for #2 which was with the 50 lux.

Last edited:

GlennB

This question is really off topic, but is there a setting for viewing the enlarged images that open in a new window on a gray or black background ? I'm finding the white background extremely distracting to my old eyes.
TIA,
Glenn

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I did very well with the M9 and that was about 1800 images before I shipped it off. I was nailing at a very very higher percentage rate with everything except the 135mm which was about 75 or 80 percent focus keepers. It's a tough lens that just takes some practice. Now i have not picked up the M8 in a long time on a serious level but the M9 did feel easier to focus, but that is a gut feeling.

Guy Mancuso

This question is really off topic, but is there a setting for viewing the enlarged images that open in a new window on a gray or black background ? I'm finding the white background extremely distracting to my old eyes.
TIA,
Glenn
Click the thumbnails they open on a white background. It also depends how folks are loading images either from the gallery or attachments and also linking from there servers.

GlennB

Click the thumbnails they open on a white background. It also depends how folks are loading images either from the gallery or attachments and also linking from there servers.
Hi Guy,
Yes, it's the "open on a white background" that I would like to change to a gray or black background if there is some setting to do that. Or I can continue to block the white glare with one hand :) I'm probably the only one this bothers as I'm developing a glare problem in one of my eyes.:(

Last edited:

stevem8

Hate to burden your sensibilities with shots from the clearly inferior, wholly pedestrian, and now totally outdated M8, but since it's what's at hand, here are a few shots from a walk before work this am. All with my 1964 50 Summicron. All except the last shot were wide open. That one was at f5.6.

GORGEOUS! All of them!

dfarkas

Workshop Member

Spent the week in Charlotte on business, and had the M9 with me. Not much chance to shoot (between long work hours, and bad weather), but I did get out for a couple of walks around town.

Here are a few snaps I took around downtown Charlotte.

Most of these are with the 28 cron, either wide open or f5.6. A couple are with the ZM 21.
Really nice, Mike! :thumbs:

Rolo

I saw this image posted somewhere else I believe. I believe the subject was a Cuban boxer that was shot in the eye. I'm pretty sure I saw this somewhere around the time the M9 was offficially unveiled a few weeks ago.
Hi, nearly right ..... it was an English boxer, shot in the eye whilst doing some alternative work - body guarding, or door management etc. He now spends his time campaigning against the use of violence in computer games.

Leica have opened a new gallery on their web site and chose this shot for their opening image, see:

http://www.m.leica-camera.com/gallery_en.html

Details are:
Location Piccadilly Circus, London
Camera M8
Lens 90mm Elmarit
160 ISO
f4.0
1/250s
Auto Exposure mode

A number of my images have been featured in an article on my work in the latest LFI magazine. Haven't seen it myself yet, so not sure if it looks good, or not. Pity it clashes with the first report on the M9. Takes away the shine, but makes it immortal. Ha. :)

Thanks to all for your comments.

Gary

iiiNelson

Okay I got the country of origin wrong. Sorry about that. I knew I read about the guy getting shot in the eye for sure though.

Great shot nonetheless.

Lloyd

Hi, nearly right ..... it was an English boxer, shot in the eye whilst doing some alternative work - body guarding, or door management etc. He now spends his time campaigning against the use of violence in computer games.

Leica have opened a new gallery on their web site and chose this shot for their opening image, see:

http://www.m.leica-camera.com/gallery_en.html

Details are:
Location Piccadilly Circus, London
Camera M8
Lens 90mm Elmarit
160 ISO
f4.0
1/250s
Auto Exposure mode

A number of my images have been featured in an article on my work in the latest LFI magazine. Haven't seen it myself yet, so not sure if it looks good, or not. Pity it clashes with the first report on the M9. Takes away the shine, but makes it immortal. Ha. :)

Thanks to all for your comments.

Gary
Hi Gary, I was sure it was LFI somewhere. Glad my old memory is still working. Wonderful work. I'd still be very interested in your b/w conversion process, if you're willing to share. Really great stuff.

Guy Mancuso

Nice Mike starting to make me regret not leaving for Brazil with the M9 test kit. LOL

Stuart Richardson

Hi Guy,
Yes, it's the "open on a white background" that I would like to change to a gray or black background if there is some setting to do that. Or I can continue to block the white glare with one hand :) I'm probably the only one this bothers as I'm developing a glare problem in one of my eyes.:(
Glenn -- this is something you can fix with CSS (cascading style sheets). Depending on your browser, you can tell it to load pages with your own background preference. There are some utilities out there to do this if you look around. Here is one option for Firefox that came up in a quick search (please note, I have not tried it): http://dyehardz.blogspot.com/2008/07/dark-background-in-firefox.html

P.S. Lovely images everyone! I am really looking forward to joining you guys on the M9 band wagon...just need to sell enough stuff to make it economical for me...

Rolo

I'd still be very interested in your b/w conversion process, if you're willing to share. Really great stuff.
Hi Lloyd, rather than give you a copy of the Action I made 8 years ago, I'll share how I did it. :)

I took three of my toned B&W prints that I especially liked and scanned them in. Converted a duplicate of each and turned to monochrome in PShop and then duotone/tritone/quadtone and modified to match the starting print.

Then, modified each of the tones until I had just one that did the job on all three images. Then made it into an Action that I've used ever since. Today, I'd do it with the PS mono converter, I suspect. I've got Silver EfexPro, but I don't need it with this Action.

The change to digital capture caused me to lift brightness and reduce saturation occasionally, but the Action remains unchanged. It works well on M9 images too, looking at the few I've tried.

I've been offered payment for the Action many times, but it's so easy to do and only took about 20 minutes, so I've declined. It's not precious, but IMO it's important to create one that suits you and stick with it as eventually it defines 'your look'.

IMO, the problem with using: Alien Skin, Silver Efex, Vuescan ..... PlugIns etc, is that the people who rave about them wander throughout the range and never settle for their own 'look' and if they were just to create a couple of simple PS Actions, they would save their cash and improve the output. The only plug-ins I've ever bought were Jeff Ascough's and they sit there unused as once you can make an Action what else do you need ?

This is not something I'm trying to change you on, or anyone else, just explaining my view on it. :)

Hope that's of interest.

Here's a copy of the colour version before conversion using the Action.

Gary

Last edited:

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, rather than give you a copy of the Action I made 8 years ago, I'll share how I did it. :)

I took three of my toned B&W prints that I especially liked and scanned them in. Converted a duplicate of each and turned to monochrome in PShop and then duotone/tritone/quadtone and modified to match the starting print.

Then, modified each of the tones until I had just one that did the job on all three images. Then made it into an Action that I've used ever since. Today, I'd do it with the PS mono converter, I suspect. I've got Silver EfexPro, but I don't need it with this Action.

The change to digital capture caused me to lift brightness and reduce saturation occasionally, but the Action remains unchanged. It works well on M9 images too, looking at the few I've tried.

I've been offered payment for the Action many times, but it's so easy to do and only took about 20 minutes, so I've declined. It's not precious, but IMO it's important to create one that suits you and stick with it as eventually it defines 'your look'.

IMO, the problem with using: Alien Skin, Silver Efex, Vuescan ..... PlugIns etc, is that the people who rave about them wander throughout the range and never settle for their own 'look' and if they were just to create a couple of simple PS Actions, they would save their cash and improve the output. The only plug-ins I've ever bought were Jeff Ascough's and they sit there unused as once you can make an Action what else do you need ?

This is not something I'm trying to change you on, or anyone else, just explaining my view on it. :)

Hope that's of interest.

Here's a copy of the colour version before conversion using the Action.

Gary
Thank you Gary. I appreciate your explanation, and I'd try it, but must confess that most of it is Greek to me. I'll have to give it a run, but truthfully, I don't have that many silver images I'm really taken with to try and match.

BTW, that image of yours is simply stunning in colour as well. I visited your website, and it's full of treasures. How much of your work is done the the M8? And, I hope you share more with us here.

Thanks again.