The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

The shed behind our house this morning. (I'm not crazy about the light here, hope to get a better version later.)

CV 90/3.5 APO Lanthar @ 5.6:

Lloyd

I was lucky to be around with 28 cron The Day Aurora Came to Town. Overpowering and elegant, she brought a Felliniesque ambiance to the hectic Galata waterfront. Hope you enjoy watching them as much as I did while shooting.
Best,
Osman
I'm with Cindy here, Osman. Great series and subject, but this first one... wow.

otumay

Cindy and Lloyd, thank you very much for your appraisal, it is most appreciated. The first one is also my favorite.
Best,
Osman

cam

But that isn't sharp, Cam. ;) Exactly why it looks great.
precisely! i got the isolation, but sharpness was gone. proof, alas, that my 35 needs to go in the shop again... so i softened it even more with some of Jeff Ascough's actions.

Stuart Richardson

Lovely shot cam -- there is something about metro and train stations that is so beautiful in photographs. Probably because it gathers people in a large, open space, and more or less enforces them to wait. The kinds of things people do and express when they are waiting are quite interesting. As much as I love it here in Iceland, there are certainly times when I miss the subway theater that I had in NYC and Sapporo.

cam

i know, Stuart! i am always faced with a quandary -- do i walk somewhere or take the metro...? i should walk, street shots and the like, but i admit to having a weakness for the metro. i also prefer quieter stations, as fishbowl photography gets tedious (not am i really interested in shooting tourists).

i get into such an intense mode of shooting that i often almost miss my stops -- LOL! as for the stations, there too i can become entranced. i remember being utterly fascinated with an old guy who i thought was looking off the end of the tracks, contemplating jumping. when i looked at the pics later, i saw he was just peeing... i think i was lucky not to get sprayed!

i've never been to Sapporo, but the shots i've seen have been stunning. and i absolutely adore NYC!!! i may be going back there in december and am seriously contemplating picking up the GRDIII for that. i'm a bit of a wuss, i admit, but feel more comfortable with a smaller camera there. New York has gotten kind of weird about photographers there.

Stuart Richardson

Yes, I think I prefer the stations to the trains themselves, but I like them too. Elevated lines in particular are amazing for photographs, as they get such beautiful light -- again, it is forcing people into a glass box and making them wait. Here are a few of my subway/train photos, though I must admit none are with the M8...
I think Sapporo was particularly beautiful. My favorite photo ever was taken there in an elevated station. It was just an afternoon of exploring, I came to the station, just saw a shot, raised the camera and took a single frame. I remember it as being the 35/1.4 ASPH at f/4 on Tri-x in rodinal 1:100.

Here are some other ones with various cameras and in various places....

That last one was posed...

cam

ooh, Stuart! that first one is special! the light and composition are just exquisite! and the mood, spot on.

note to self: get my butt over to an above ground station on the next sunny day....

thank you for the inspiration!

gero

I´ll try to contribute to all this grate posts. This are from an event to put rings on flamingos near a salt plant. (with the cv 15 or 24 elmarit)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Let's call this one duel ... much like the battle of the M8 and M9 threads; or the Leica believers and non-believers; or the drivers of little cars and the drivers of limos. May the force be with you.

Kurt

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Mike

I shot a Hands On Atlanta event with my daughter and the company tee shirts are all bright RED . I will post a few when I have my files on line. I find if the red gets over saturated that going to the camera calibration sliders ......shift the hue between 4-8 toward yellow and desaturate the red by the same 4-8 range works . This keeps the blues and other colors like K25 without roasting the skin tones.

This is also true with the M8 ..I shot with both the M8 and the M9 and every image has the same RED shirts ...good test .

The smoothness of the images is what amazes me ..it reminds me of a fine grain slide film...has a depth of color thats outstanding.

Most people missed this in E Puts blog about the rendering being smoother and more film like than the Nikon.

Want to see a good example ...look at Steve McCurry s new website . He has mixed his Kodachromes with mostly Nikon digital files and each image is dated. You can see the difference immediately ..yet the Leica files look like the chromes.

Thanks guys.

For these particular shots, I pumped up saturation in LR on purpose for effect (bright clear skies tend to look better with saturation pumped).

When the shot includes skin, then I keep saturation more constrained.

Here's an example of one of the architecture shots above.

First the more neutral (contrained) version (Vibrance -1; Saturation -10):

And then the "pumped up" version (Vibrance +8; Saturation +2):

Here's an example of skin tones (Vibrance 0; Saturation -7):

I agree with Roger that I am generally getting higher saturation in my M9 files than I had in my M8 files. Especially in the Reds. And I'm using the ChromaSoft color profile for the M9, which was carefully calibrated on a MacBeth chart.

Notice how deep the pink car is in the last shot, even with Saturation dialed down to minus 7. The skin tones are accurate.

Lloyd - I'm doing my B&W conversions in LR. I outlined the procedure in this post #118 of this thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138889&postcount=118

jonoslack

Mike

I shot a Hands On Atlanta event with my daughter and the company tee shirts are all bright RED . I will post a few when I have my files on line. I find if the red gets over saturated that going to the camera calibration sliders ......shift the hue between 4-8 toward yellow and desaturate the red by the same 4-8 range works . This keeps the blues and other colors like K25 without roasting the skin tones.
HI Roger
I'm doing the same in Aperture (actually, generally all that's needed is an 8% boost in hue towards yellow).

I'm hoping that when they get the colour calibration tables in that this won't be necessary (C1 is much closer to correct).

As you say, it was the same with the M8, the difference being that in high ISO in the M8 it really wasn't 'fixable' whereas it is in the M9.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

hey folks if you want these raws from when I ran my test let me know i can post the raws so you can compare if you want. These jpegs come out of C1