The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

A couple of "available darkness" pics from this weekend's wedding. A 1880s building in a small Michigan town, with a storage room above the reception area lit by 2 dim lights on extension cords.

M9 @ ISO 800. Wider shot done with a 28/2 ASPH @ f/2, others all done with a 50/0.95 @ f/0.95.

-Marc
Beautiful work, Marc. That .095 certainly sings. I gotta say, however, that there are no flies on that 28 Cron shot!!

carstenw

In the door panels of the Exit shot, and down onto the floor, there is a startling noise boundary happening. Is that just in the JPG?

stevem8

A couple of "available darkness" pics from this weekend's wedding. A 1880s building in a small Michigan town, with a storage room above the reception area lit by 2 dim lights on extension cords.

M9 @ ISO 800. Wider shot with "exit" sign done with a 28/2 ASPH @ f/2, others all done with a 50/0.95 @ f/0.95.

-Marc
Beautiful! Love those 50 Noct shots.

stevem8

Home Sweet Home
35 Cron, F2, ISO 160 - B&W Conversion and grain added in CS3.

fotografz

In the door panels of the Exit shot, and down onto the floor, there is a startling noise boundary happening. Is that just in the JPG?
My bad. Good catch. I did a dupe layer and tried to do some noise work because the f/2 lens just wasn't enough ... and somehow screwed it up, didn't feather it and skewed the layer ... couldn't see it as much on the tiff, but you sure can see it here when compressed. Oh well.

This might be a little better.

Lloyd

My bad. Good catch. I did a dupe layer and tried to do some noise work because the f/2 lens just wasn't enough ... and somehow screwed it up, didn't feather it and skewed the layer ... couldn't see it as much on the tiff, but you sure can see it here when compressed. Oh well.

Better like butter! :thumbup:

Gary P

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

I have a vertical image that I want to post on this thread, what are the best settings to use to post either portrait or landscape? I am downloading from an exported file out of Aperture. The original is a 16 bit Tiff file and I'm exporting to a jpeg for the download.

Thanks.

Gary P

Gary P

Hey Steven,

Did you ever read "Into the Wild"? Looks like it could be "the bus", great image! Technical question, I really like the grain look of the image. Did you put that there?

Gary P

skimmel

Beautiful images!!! For my own edification, what exactly were you doing in post and what was the dupe layer for?

Lloyd

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

I have a vertical image that I want to post on this thread, what are the best settings to use to post either portrait or landscape? I am downloading from an exported file out of Aperture. The original is a 16 bit Tiff file and I'm exporting to a jpeg for the download.

Thanks.

Gary P
I use 72 dpi, and set the largest side of the image at around 875 pixels max. The max the forum allows is 900 pixels per the longest side, and will resize larger images, which sometimes results in a loss of quality. I do some sharpening for web view, but the forum applies some, so don't overdo. I also always set the color space to sRGB.

carstenw

It does look better, but there is still something there:

View attachment 23906

The left 1/3 of the panel is much cleaner than the right part. Is it just a quick edit for the forum that is at fault, or is there something deeper?

fotografz

Beautiful images!!! For my own edification, what exactly were you doing in post and what was the dupe layer for?
Thanks.

The layer was an ill conceived and poorly done attempt at increasing the DR by selecting the deep shadow areas on a layer and lifting them without affecting the better lit subject area. In my rush to post here I didn't feather the layer or run a noise control program on it.:thumbdown: So I just went back to the original and let the shadows go as is, which blocked up. I also did something even more stupid, but ... :eek:

However, this is a lesson as to why a super high contrast lens like the 28/2 ASPH isn't always the best choice for certain lighting conditions (we need a 28/1.4! ;)). All the Nocti series lenses seem better optimized for higher contrast lighting like experienced when shooting at night. I had less problems exposing a bit more for the shadow areas without blowing the subject's white dress highlights using the 50/0.95 (see attached). Being even a bit lower contrast than the f/0.95, I'd bet the f/1.0 version may have done even better in this specific lighting ... but I'm not sure the level of texture and detail would have been the same.

I think I just gave myself yet another lame excuse to get more pre ASPH M lenses ... :ROTFL:

fotografz

It does look better, but there is still something there:

View attachment 23906

Yes, it is deeper Mr. Eagle eye. :)

I actually had to merge two shots as layers along with using a dupe shadow layer because 28 @ f/2 was to contrasy ... and I simply botched it. Oddly, it looks fine in the print.

I'll just reprocess this shot, and see if there is another way. Wedding work isn't pure journalism, it's part magic for the clients, but it's tough to put one over on another magician :)

Look before you leap, or someone will look for you :ROTFL:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Wow, some serious pixel peeping goin' on here... esp for Leica shooters :D

Interesting though...

(incidentally liked the shot in the first place, and post #379 version should be magical enough for even the most discerning client)

carstenw

I do love your idea, by the way, even if the bride's expressions let it down a little!

I am just being hypercritical while looking at M9 images at the moment, since mine is on order. The improvements over the M8 seem very real, but there are still some things which give me pause, like the slight magenta cast in skin in some shots I have seen posted. It seems that the camera profile just needs optimizing, but I still hesitate when I see something like that, given the teething problems of the M8 (which I still love).

fotografz

I do love your idea, by the way, even if the bride's expressions let it down a little!

I am just being hypercritical while looking at M9 images at the moment, since mine is on order. The improvements over the M8 seem very real, but there are still some things which give me pause, like the slight magenta cast in skin in some shots I have seen posted. It seems that the camera profile just needs optimizing, but I still hesitate when I see something like that, given the teething problems of the M8 (which I still love).
Your are dead on the money concerning the magenta cast. I am still screwing around with fixing that. We do need profiles for this camera that do a better job. When I get a minute, I'm going to try processing a few in C1-Pro to see if it's any better.

The bride just wasn't the "bubbly" sort. And the drama behind the scenes was that just prior to cutting out a few minutes to go upstairs for these shots, they did a tribute dance to her brother who wasn't at her wedding because he shipped out that very day for deployment to Iraq. :(

Very sensitive eye there my friend.

jonoslack

Your are dead on the money concerning the magenta cast. I am still screwing around with fixing that. We do need profiles for this camera that do a better job. When I get a minute, I'm going to try processing a few in C1-Pro to see if it's any better.
Hi Marc - and Carsten WRT the Magenta Cast
It is better in C1, in Aperture it's about the same.
I've found that increasing the Red Hue by about 10% usually fixes it - and if it doesn't ,then reducing the red luminance slightly will help.

It was also a problem with the M8 - except that there I found it a great deal more difficult to deal with.

The bride just wasn't the "bubbly" sort. And the drama behind the scenes was that just prior to cutting out a few minutes to go upstairs for these shots, they did a tribute dance to her brother who wasn't at her wedding because he shipped out that very day for deployment to Iraq. :(

Very sensitive eye there my friend.
May the lord preserve us from bubble-less brides :eek:

fotografz

Hi Marc - and Carsten WRT the Magenta Cast
It is better in C1, in Aperture it's about the same.
I've found that increasing the Red Hue by about 10% usually fixes it - and if it doesn't ,then reducing the red luminance slightly will help.

It was also a problem with the M8 - except that there I found it a great deal more difficult to deal with.

May the lord preserve us from bubble-less brides :eek:
Yeah, I figured that out in LR already ... but even after doing a manual WB, some shots in certain lighting are a bear to correct. However, in the case of shots done this weekend, I had images done with a Sony A900 in the same reception room lighting ... and they were also too red ... weird light temps I guess ... sunlight/shade, tungsten and florescent all in one shot.

Bubbly is boring ... grinning in every shot is what I wish God to preserve me from ;)

Hey, these women aren't professional models, they do what they can ... which is why I preffer doing mostly candid shots over posed ones.

-Marc

carstenw

My eyes are still in training. Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

I think will pick up one of those pocketable colour checkers from X-Rite. They come with a Lightroom plugin which does a quick colour balance on the image(s), and that is probably sufficient for my uses.

The thing which bothers me a little about the M9 is that rather than going back to a neutral startpoint, it introduces more complications, in the form of the new IR filter on the sensor, and the built-in corrections for that. This means potentially more complex problems with CV and ZM lenses, as well as a more complicated colour correction workflow. This makes me hesitate a little with my trigger-finger when it comes to purchasing. Even lenses like Leica's own 18mm have some colour issues, and my current feeling is that this time I would rather wait until these issues have been sorted. It is a chunk if cash, and after the M8, I would rather be a little patient than go through potential factory service etc. to get it as good as my M8 is by now.

Anyway, blah blah, I am just still being more picky than usual.

Last edited:

jonoslack

The thing which bothers me a little about the M9 is that rather than going back to a neutral startpoint, it introduces more complications, in the form of the new IR filter on the sensor, and the built-in corrections for that. This means potentially more complex problems with CV and ZM lenses, as well as a more complicated colour correction workflow. This makes me hesitate a little with my trigger-finger when it cones to purchasing. Even lenses like Leica's own 18mm have some colour issues, and my current feeling is that this time I would rather wait until these issues have been sorted. It is a chunk if cash, and after the M8, I would rather be a little patient than go through potential factory service etc. to get it as good as my M8 is by now.

Anyway, blah blah, I am just still being more picky than usual.
HI Carsten
1. there are issues
2. they aren't as significant as the issues with the M8 - even after all the firmware updates.

By all means wait, but I really don't think that waiting on the basis of the colour from Aperture and Lightroom (which will both, surely have profiles in the near future) is a good reason.

C1 does a grand job with the files.