The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

skimmel

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Thanks.

The layer was an ill conceived and poorly done attempt at increasing the DR by selecting the deep shadow areas on a layer and lifting them without affecting the better lit subject area. In my rush to post here I didn't feather the layer or run a noise control program on it.:thumbdown: So I just went back to the original and let the shadows go as is, which blocked up. I also did something even more stupid, but ... :eek:

However, this is a lesson as to why a super high contrast lens like the 28/2 ASPH isn't always the best choice for certain lighting conditions (we need a 28/1.4! ;)). All the Nocti series lenses seem better optimized for higher contrast lighting like experienced when shooting at night. I had less problems exposing a bit more for the shadow areas without blowing the subject's white dress highlights using the 50/0.95 (see attached). Being even a bit lower contrast than the f/0.95, I'd bet the f/1.0 version may have done even better in this specific lighting ... but I'm not sure the level of texture and detail would have been the same.

I think I just gave myself yet another lame excuse to get more pre ASPH M lenses ... :ROTFL:
Thanks -- great info and good points! (My wallet doesn't agree, but my gut does!)

Gary P

The image of the bus almost looks 3D, nice Steve! Great Maine coast image Steve!

Gary P

stevem8

Thanks guys! Here is one from today. Not really a great image, but I liked it and thought the B&W came out nice.

jonoslack

Thanks guys! Here is one from today. Not really a great image, but I liked it and thought the B&W came out nice.

Hi Steve
Love this . . . but (IMHO of course) it needs cropping and straightening so that you just have the bottom and right hand edges and the cat peering around.

stevem8

Hi Steve
Love this . . . but (IMHO of course) it needs cropping and straightening so that you just have the bottom and right hand edges and the cat peering around.
Thanks Jono,

I think you are right about the cropping. Ill give it a shot.

Thanks!

Steve

steflaurent974

Steeve : really great work on the bus photo...3D effect, I will consider these Nik software tools.

Here are a few post from a famous ultra trail : Le Grand Raid de La Réunion. This is an extrem mountain race : 147 Km 9182m climbing up and 9182m going down in 60 hours limited time. I used to participate and now I prefer to take pictures.
I was at a checkpoint, middle race (Km 70) after a long descent in the wood, unfortunately for the raiders the weather was really crappy, wich was better for pictures !

All taken with the Noctilux (last F1.0 coded version), Iso between 800 and 1600.

All files processed in LR2 withe the M9 profile (chromasoft).

As you can see, lots of pain, joy, tired people and still 75 km to run !!!!

jonoslack

HI Stef
These are great - I love the gritty treatment to match the gritty activity.
I think I'd rather be taking the pictures too!

Wonderful