The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

G

gdwhalen

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Looking at these it is such a shame Leica didn't make the R10

T

tonyroth

Mike --

Thanks for sharing that workflow with us. That's very reassuring that one can get these kind of results with relatively minor fiddling around with the capture. A few follow on questions, if you dont mind:

- On the sunset photos, did you do any enhancements to the colors in the sky? They look fantastic.
- Do you find the LR3.0 conversion engine to be more or less equal to C1 for iso's under 640? I had convinced myself that C1 was giving me significantly better color and very slightly better detail, but pp is new for me and my eyes -- make that my head -- may be playing tricks on me.
- What is your method for converting to b&w?

Thanks again!
Tony.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Nice work, Lloyd ... perfect little story. The time when they are young is so precious.

Lloyd

Nice work, Lloyd ... perfect little story. The time when they are young is so precious.
Thanks. We are learning the truth of the saying, "Grandchildren are the reward for not killing your children." :D

Lloyd

Came across this gentleman on Central Park West last Sunday after the marathon. He was actually shooting with that Speed Graphic, which appeared to be in nearly pristine condition.

35 Cron, ver IV:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Tony,

Sunset shots:

I used the gradient tool on the sky with a bit of darkening (exposure), a high amount of clarity and contrast (to get separation in the clouds and streaks), and a small amount of purple-ish color tint. The skies looked really nice even without these adjustments, but the adjustments added more drama. The M9 (and M8 also) tend to do a very nice job with the blue in skies. Unlike Canon (which often blows it to white with very little saturation), they usually hold as a deep blue with my M9. That gives a very nice starting point for post-processing.

LR3 vs C1:

LR2 struggled with M8/M9 files at high ISO. C1 was clearly better, so I would use C1 on most of my shots that were ISO 800 or higher on the M8, and 1000 or higher on the M9.

Now things are changing quickly. C1 has released version 5, and we have LR3 beta. So far, I see a big improvement in LR3 raw processing. It is at least as good as C1 version 4 in terms of rendering detail and handling noise very well. I have not really worked with C1 v5 yet, so I still need to do that comparison. I'll get to that over the next couple of weeks.

B&W Processing:

See post #118 in this thread for an outline of my B&W conversion technique in LR2 (it's essentially the same for LR3 beta, unless I decide to add some grain for a gritty photo).

Hope that helps,
Mike

Lloyd

New York City Marathon. Top 10% of all runners, male and female. Top 2% of the female runners. Met her goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon with 25 minutes to spare. One happy, but tired grandmother.

35 Cron, ver IV:

Last edited:

Peter Klein

Woo, hoo! Go, "Mimi!" And a nice one of the modern-day Weegee too. Look at the size of that flashbulb!

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Congrats Lloyd - way to go "Grandma"!!! She has that Leica glow following her whether it is running a marathon or hugging the grandkids.

The gentleman with the fancy camera was camped out around the corner from B & H a few weeks ago. I just happened to be in the neighborhood!

woodyspedden

Mike

I don't know how to make this happen but your M9 images should be shown in LFI magazine. I haven't seen a single M9 image as good as those you shot in Oregon. JMHO

Woody

Reynolds

Workshop Member

The first shot of (not from) my M9. It just arrived. Thank you, David Farkas!!

Just in time for Costa Rica on Sunday! I will, hopefully, have something to share. But, after viewing Mike's work...???

jonoslack

The first shot of (not from) my M9. It just arrived. Thank you, David Farkas!!

Just in time for Costa Rica on Sunday! I will, hopefully, have something to share. But, after viewing Mike's work...???
Hi There
Lovely . . . confused by the lens though, is that a 50 'lux, with an extra lens hood?

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Woody,

That is very flattering and generous of you. I've never seen or read LFI, so I don't know what kind of stuff they usually publish. I'm not sure if my images would meet the criteria (quality or otherwise), but it's nice of you to suggest.

Mike

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Congrats Reynolds! Looking forward to images from Costa Rica!

Reynolds

Workshop Member

It is, indeed, a 50 Lux with a vented hood, Jono....which may have to "go" on the M9. Was great "protector" on the M8...but, I am hearing about vignetting with this lens on the M9. Big tests coming for me!!

Last edited:

Reynolds

Workshop Member

Thanks, Mike! Can't wait to get going!!

We you mentioning the vignetting of the added hood on the 50 Lux/M9...or, am I dreaming?

Reynolds

Workshop Member

Woody's right, Mike. Your images stand up to anything I have seen in LFI. Your images have style, drama, a place, a time, immediate interest and are classic but new. Sometimes LFI images get "out there" in a photographic realm that requires way too much explanation for me to take a second look. Your images "draw" me instantly...you are blessed with a great eye...and, a great hand at managing the machine.

Just great stuff!!

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

It's a beauty Reynolds! Congrats and I await to see images.