The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

DavidE

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

From the 50 lux.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Lloyd

Some more photos from my recent NYC trip.

These are of Central Park on a rainy Saturday (I skipped the last day of PhotoPlus Expo in order to explore the city). Kept having to pull out the umbrella to keep the camera dry. Then it would clear up for a time.

All were shot with a Leica 18mm lens.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]
Some really nice images, and so very Central Park. I love what you do with that 18mm on the M8. Do you use a UV/IR filter on it now?

Lloyd

Re: "The Lava Lounge and penthouse residences (ca 2007)"

Across the street from my office. Faded a bit now (see "having fun with 4/3rds post). Cheers.
Interesting and colorful place. Seems in stark contrast to much of Seattle, especially on those dreary, rainy winter days.

Terry

Contrary to popular belief, the city actually does sleep (sorta) once in a while. ;)
Yeah, but that's when the trash trucks are out in force and show up nightly outside your window and wake you up. :ROTFL:

Lloyd

Yeah, but that's when the trash trucks are out in force and show up nightly outside your window and wake you up. :ROTFL:
Too dang true!! :eek:(Except when they're on strike, and then you can't sleep for the smell.:angry:)

DavidE

Some really nice images, and so very Central Park. I love what you do with that 18mm on the M8. Do you use a UV/IR filter on it now?
Thanks, Lloyd. If I remember correctly, I didn't have the filter for the 18 when I first took the lens to Vegas, but since then, the filter has stayed on.

Not sure why I have an affinity for the 18mm. Guess I like that wrapped-around-your-head feel of a sharp wide-angle lens. I reach for it whenever there's enough light.

Here are a couple more with the 18.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Lloyd

Thanks, Lloyd. If I remember correctly, I didn't have the filter for the 18 when I first took the lens to Vegas, but since then, the filter has stayed on.

Not sure why I have an affinity for the 18mm. Guess I like that wrapped-around-your-head feel of a sharp wide-angle lens. I reach for it whenever there's enough light.

Here are a couple more with the 18.

I have to admit that I've coveted that 18mm since you first started posting your shots with it. You've taken some amazing stuff. And I agree about a sharp wide angle, which I think is somewhat under appreciated by many photographers. For years my favorite wide angle was the 24mm, which is the same field of view as the 18 on the M8. And that quality... it has few peers. I've heard that it doesn't perform quite as well on the M9, however.

m_driscoll

DavidE: Great shots with the 18mm. Are these cropped at all? I've been looking at this lens every time I go into my Leica dealer. The only problem to me was the f/3.5; but, you've shown with your wonderful photos that it clearly shouldn't be a deciding factor. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

David,

A nice series. You must be either exceptionally tall or hanging from the railings to get these shots! :ROTFL:

Reminds me of a line from The Larry Sanders Show. Someone says to the Rip Torn character, "Be there or be square." Rip Torn replies, "I can be both!"

I visited New York a couple of weeks ago for PhotoPlus Expo. It seemed as though just about everyone in Time Square was either taking pictures or being photographed. I fell into a mode one evening where I would watch and try to capture an interesting photo of the process.

cam

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images

Hi There
I do have it . . . it's sitting on my desk in front of me, but I haven't really used it with the M9. The 28 'cron is wonderful, and takes up all the viewfinder. To use the 25 needs and external finder, and I want that wide I tend to put on the frankenfinder and the WATE

I must give it a go though. My two favorites on the M8 were the 25 Zeiss, and the 50 f.15 sonnar. the 50 isn't that great on the M9 because it loses the plot badly on the corners. I should at least find out whether the 25 does the same.
any conclusions on this, Jono?

have you taken the time to play with the 25?

jonoslack

any conclusions on this, Jono?

have you taken the time to play with the 25?
HI There Cam
I hope you're well - We're hoping to come over to Paris for a weekend at the end of Jan, start of Feb.

Anyway - yes, I have tried it, and it is sharp to the corners as you would expect. However, there seem to be some issues with the corner shading. Mine is coded as a 24 elmarit, but the shading compensation is perhaps a bit too much, sometimes resulting in a red tinge (grey skies for instance). I'm planning on trying it as a 28 'cron and see if that produces a better result.

cam

Anyway - yes, I have tried it, and it is sharp to the corners as you would expect. However, there seem to be some issues with the corner shading. Mine is coded as a 24 elmarit, but the shading compensation is perhaps a bit too much, sometimes resulting in a red tinge (grey skies for instance). I'm planning on trying it as a 28 'cron and see if that produces a better result.
can't wait to see you! i've gone back and forth about this lens, loving it's draw but hating the speed... there's one FS on the board so it got me thinking again.

i know it's gorgeous on the M8 but i also know that there will be an M9 in my future, so i'm trying to take that into consideration... i would love to see an image -- perhaps, converted to b/w?

DavidE

David,

A nice series. You must be either exceptionally tall or hanging from the railings to get these shots! :ROTFL:
Thanks, Graham. I always bring a step ladder with me... no, wait, that can't be right.

Here's the platform in Times Square where I perched myself for a couple of hours. I was on the left side of those red steps about half of the way up.

I had read Sean Reid's article on street photography. He mentioned the strategy of picking a public place where people expect to be photographed and aren't thrown off by a camera. You find a spot with a lot of traffic, wait patiently, and watch for something interesting. Occasionally, I would see something off to the side, but mostly it was the looking-down-to-the-side view that worked best (that has the added benefit of making the 50 lux like a wide-angle lens in its perspective).

DavidE

For years my favorite wide angle was the 24mm, which is the same field of view as the 18 on the M8. And that quality... it has few peers. I've heard that it doesn't perform quite as well on the M9, however.
I'll be getting an M9 at some point, so I'll find out.

I assume (probably naively) that the M9 simply opens up the image, adding about 30 percent to the outer edges. I guess the question becomes: Is that too wide-angle for ordinary shots? As I understand it, the depth of field should remain the same for the center portion, while the opened-up outer portion would have less depth of field being closer to the camera.