The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Ahhh, where's the focus point on this photo? Nice feel but shouldn't something be in focus?

-Marc
I think the image stands on its own, even without anything in sharp focus. Nice painterly quality to it, and to my eye the story is conveyed regardless. My eyes are drawn to the area of the woman's face, particularly the left eye, focus notwithstanding.

stevem8

Just posted my Noctilux 0.95 review at my site - what a lens! Here are some samples...

Both of these are wide open...

Stuart Richardson

As nice as the photos are Steve, I don't think I can say I like the way this lens draws. The sharp/unsharp gradient seems to be way too strong (are you maybe doing selective sharpening and/or noise reduction?). It seems like the soft areas are too soft, and the sharp areas too sharp, and the color fringing is visible to me even in the web jpegs (on the ugg boots and in the white areas of the coat). I think I really prefer your shots taken with the older noctilux. It does not seem to have the grace that even the 50/1.4 ASPH has, or certainly not like the best high speed lenses like the 75/1.4 and 110/2 Planar. And please note, this is not about the photos, which are great, it is about what the lens is doing to them! And of course, I am a curmudgeon, so you will have to forgive me that -- I like my lenses a certain way!

Lloyd

Just posted my Noctilux 0.95 review at my site - what a lens! Here are some samples...

Both of these are wide open...
Nice shots, and a nice review Steve. Some great images over there on the review. I love that last one (shot with the f1). Love to have both of these, but that's never going to happen for me, so I'm grateful to still have the f1, and more convinced of that in part because of your review. Thanks.

jklotz

Thanks for posting Steve, nice shots. I have to say I absolutely hate the Noctilux 0.95. I swear I do. Really. At least that's what I keep telling myself. That is, unless I am the benefactor of a wealthy relative's will or win the lottery jackpot, then my opinion is subject to change. Drastically. Man I want one of those.

A

Adam B

Ahhh, where's the focus point on this photo? Nice feel but shouldn't something be in focus?

-Marc
I think the soft focus suits the almost antique feel of the composition and the light. By the way, I checked out your site - beautiful work.

I think the image stands on its own, even without anything in sharp focus. Nice painterly quality to it, and to my eye the story is conveyed regardless. My eyes are drawn to the area of the woman's face, particularly the left eye, focus notwithstanding.
Thanks, Lloyd.

A

Adam B

Great review, photos... and I love your site, Steven. Looking at all the photographs, I prefer the dreamier look of the older Noctilux, despite (or perhaps because?) the fact that the new .95 is sharper and has more kick.

leif e

Kurt; I could have told you the Norwegian mountains are beautiful - could have saved you the trip.:D

Seriously; beautiful, moody pics!

leif e

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks much, Lloyd and Leif.

Leif, my wife's sister married a Norwegian and lives in Oslo. We try to make it to Norway every couple of years so that my wife can visit her sister. They graciously drag us around the country for a couple of weeks and then send us on our way. This past trip we spent some time on west coast visiting Ålesund and Brandal (where my brother-in-law grew up).

Here's one from Trollstigen ... a nice place for a picnic, no? ;)

Kurt