The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

J

jlp

Wow. Stunning image.
+ 1 For Sure!

Jeff...Thank You!
Add in another +1. That's a terrific image.
Excellent. Except that my stomach is getting queasy.
Thanks all for looking and taking time to comment . . . I should try for a top down perspective next time.

(Tom, try a peppermint candy or peppermint tea for the stomach.)

Best,

Jack

m_driscoll

Interesting results from the varying crops here. I agree with Tom about the tight crop, which tends to excentuate the contrast of the tree vs the formality of the building. The water on the building has a randomness that mirrors that of the tree, and I like that as well.

The second attachment, with more of the "back" visible creates a tension for me, that I can't decide about. I appears that the front building is not level on the horizontal plane, but the line of the windows of the front structure seems to line up with the rear structure on the vertical plane. That is more apparent in the second crop vs your original. Also, the larger, washed out areas of sky in the second version are a little distracting, as the relative brightness of those areas draws the eyes away from the main subject. It's true that there is some symmetry with the snow, but the effect really makes this a entirely different image than the tight crop, and suggests to me that each of them stands alone as a successful image.

All that said, if I had to choose just one, I'd go for the tighter crop. Allowing the randomness of the tree, and of the water on the building, to be focus of the image seems stronger overall. In that version, the lines of the building just become a contrasting counterpoint to the the random lines, which makes the former all the more interesting. My $.02 worth anyway. YMMV.
Woody: +1. What he eloquently said. Thanks for the follow-up.. Good dialogue. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

shtarka1

Thank You Woody & Matt.

Tom, Beautiful image of you wife & daughter!

Matt, That F1 is weighing on me Heavily! 2 Real Nice Ones!:)