The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

@ Lloyd: I have been so excited to get your thoughts and comments here. I saw some wonderful pics several months back with stellar images from your porch...lovely!
I'm honored sir. And it's a privilege to comment on your brilliant work.

ashwinrao1

Oh, Endre, those are just lovely! I love how you have captured them. Almost a film noir feel, especially given the subject matter. Thanks so much for sharing these!

dierk

for those of you, who are waiting for the spring:)
a few shots from one month ago:

blooming almonds on La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain

La Palma in google maps

Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2

Leitz Elmarit-M 28mm f2.8 ASPH

dierk

I promised real HDR
here they are

Zeiss C-Biogon 21mm f/4.5

bracketing 5 exposures 1 EV

PP: LR 2.6 - Photomatix - LR 2.6

on this one you may notice the red line on the left:
it is a faulty sensor with a column fault (Leica: Spaltenfehler) and the sensor will be replaced by Leica

BUT I can't decide to send the M9 to Leica from La Palma and being without my M9 for a few weeks:(

Lloyd

I promised real HDR
here they are

it is a faulty sensor with a column fault (Leica: Spaltenfehler) and the sensor will be replaced by Leica

BUT I can't decide to send the M9 to Leica from La Palma and being without my M9 for a few weeks:(
These are great!! And the best part is that they don't look like HDR. Very nice. (The blooming almonds are beautiful! I could sure use some Spring around here!)

By the way, the line in the sensor usually doesn't require a sensor replacement, but rather a remapping of the sensor. It can be done in less than a day. You shouldn't have to wait long for your camera, unless they have a lot of them to fix. Best of luck with that.

ashwinrao1

Dierk, these HDR's are terrific. It would be hard to tell that they are HDR, and I like that very much. Good luck with your decision. Sorry that your M9 has that column defect. I hope it can be repaired quickly, so we can see more images from you!

dierk

thanks very much Lloyd, Ashwin and Endre

you are right, HDR should not be obvious, it should just compensate the contrast (as long, as the sensor can't do it)

with the D3 I do most shots with bracketing hand held at 9 frames/sec and use HDR very often. It works fine with Photomatix.
If you are interested, they are here and here, here and here and following. But all not Leica (jet:p).

@Lloyd
as it is a complete row, Leica told me, that they will replace the sensor for free.

I must say, that I want a perfect sensor for my money.

My problem is, that it takes at least 3 weeks turnaround time from La Palma to Germany and back plus the time at Leica and about 100€ for insured transport:mad:

I will take the chance, to get my 90mm Macro Elmar adjusted, it has a terrible front focus at infinity -- and on the way back I may order the 75mm cron and sell the Macro Elmar, I would love to have f/2:)

during the meantime I could not resist to play with the last portrait

PP: Nik Skin Softener (I tried it the first time and it works great)
and Nik Silver Efex for grain, toning and vignette

Last edited:

retow

I promised real HDR
here they are

Great shots. As per Cosina, the ZM C-Biogon 21/4.5 "should not be used" with the M9. What is your PP secret?

Lloyd

@Lloyd
as it is a complete row, Leica told me, that they will replace the sensor for free.

I must say, that I want a perfect sensor for my money.

My problem is, that it takes at least 3 weeks turnaround time from La Palma to Germany and back plus the time at Leica and about 100€ for insured transport:mad:
I had a similar issue with mine, and it was most apparent at high ISO.

Others here on the forum also had the issue, and in each case I know of the sensor was remapped, rather than replaced. Perhaps Leica are taking a different approach now. All the best with that.

ashwinrao1

Nicely composed, Jaap. I like the details in the shadows and the strong industrial composition here...I like how the M9's sensor holds details in the shadows, and your image shows this...

DavidE

Ashwin, Dierk, Endre, Steve, Nick, Simon, Matt, Jeff, Kurt, and Jaap – I am in awe of the incredible photos you guys are posting here. Inspiring me to push the creative envelope (or at least to try to).

Still looking through the old files for unprocessed gems. These are from my trip to the CEATEC tradeshow in Japan back in October. All shot with an M8 and 50 lux.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Hi Guys,
Here are a few from the Vault, taken with my M8, 50 lux asph, 75 lux, and noct...

Oldies, but good stuff...the M8 was good with fast glass...can't wait to shoot something similar with the M9....