The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks Ashwin, Steve, Lloyd and Roan.

Good eyes, Ashwin. The down-side of selling most of your other lenses to go with one ultra-premium lens is that, well, you don't have any other lenses. The up-side is that you can concentrate all of your efforts on that particular lens and how it draws. Experimenting in the latest version of C1, I noticed that the slider for clarity now includes functionality that allows you to move it into forward and negative values. In the past, I used the slider to bump up micro-contrast on images from the 35lux and 75lux to give them a bit more of a 3D look (at least to my eye). Because the new noct has such good contrast at the base level, is sharp wide open and produces such shallow depth of field, the full range of the clarity slider provides a great way to vary the look of the images produced with the lens. When I move the slider all the way back to -75 or -65, I get a softer look that is very reminiscent of the old noct or a 75lux. When I move the slider to the positive side at +15 to +25, the contrast in the image almost becomes too strong ... but the result is more definition that is closer to the look of a cron with shallow depth of field. Because of the sharpness of the lens at f0.95, over the past few days I've really enjoyed the soft, yet sharp images I can get with the slider moved into that -65 range. I'll try to post a sample to see if you can see a difference in the two images. To me, the new noct/M9 combination is a great combination to shoot with because you can alter the look in so many ways with just one lens ... and that's only taking into consideration f0.95.

It was right before sunset, so this example shot is a warm one. The first is with the clarity slider at 0 ... the second is with the clarity slider at -65. It might be less pronounced in smaller jpegs, but there is a difference in the detail.

Kurt

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Some low-light shots with the 35 Summilux. This lens will stay in my M8 for a very very long time - it is technically perfect in every way:

Roan: Really like all three; but, this one's my favorite. I like the glow on the trees and the way it opens up in the middle to look down the street.

Yesterday's rainy day post. M9 + 75mm lux @f 1.4.
Woody: I like the tree. But, I really like the composition and coloring in this one. Very stylish!

Two shots. The first: Early evening bokeh.

The second: I walked past this bride-to-be finishing off a cigarette before she headed into a bar to join her raucous bridal party on Saturday night. For the moment, she still seemed aware of the plastic male genitalia dangling from her head.

Kurt

Kurt: Both are great; but, that second one only comes along occasionally (once or twice a year, depending on where you live)! Nice capture.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

shtarka1

Here's four more from the woods. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

3. M9: 50mm f/1.4; 1/3000s @ f/1.4; ISO 160

Matt, super IQ & Image!
I took a quick day trip today up to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve in Lancaster, CA. The poppies are pretty good this year, better than last year, although not as good as 2008. Still, lots of good photo opportunities. I actually ran into an old guy there with an M9--it's the first M9 I have seen other than a friend's and my own. The guy had to have been 85 or older, and was very nice. We talked M's and lenses for a bit. Anyway, on to the shots, all with the M9.

WATE @ 21mm:

Jeff
Jeff, Orange like i've never seen! Excellent!

shtarka1

Finally, some signs of spring in Dallas - just last weekend we had SNOW! 75 APO @ F2 / M9 -

JB....Beautiful In Every Way!
Yesterday's rainy day post. M9 + 75mm lux @f 1.4.
Woody, framed subject, shallow DOF, I cant stop studying this! Very Cool!
Wow. Just wow. Beautiful thread thanks to everyone's fine images.

Not in the same league, but a couple from a visit to the maple sugar house this morning.
T.R....Your Always In The Starting Lineup! Real Nice Set!

m_driscoll

Here's an experiment. I've been looking at people's panoramas and thought i'd try it. This is two horizontal photos "photomerged" in CS4 and then pp'd (should have shot 3 vertical in hindsight). I'll definitely try again,Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

M9; 24mm f/1.4

Lloyd

Here's an experiment. I've been looking at people's panoramas and thought i'd try it. This is two horizontal photos "photomerged" in CS4 and then pp'd (should have shot 3 vertical in hindsight). I'll definitely try again,Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt
Looks great to me. Looking forward to more.

endre novak

Thanks Ashwin, Steve, Lloyd and Roan.

Good eyes, Ashwin. The down-side of selling most of your other lenses to go with one ultra-premium lens is that, well, you don't have any other lenses. The up-side is that you can concentrate all of your efforts on that particular lens and how it draws. Experimenting in the latest version of C1, I noticed that the slider for clarity now includes functionality that allows you to move it into forward and negative values. In the past, I used the slider to bump up micro-contrast on images from the 35lux and 75lux to give them a bit more of a 3D look (at least to my eye). Because the new noct has such good contrast at the base level, is sharp wide open and produces such shallow depth of field, the full range of the clarity slider provides a great way to vary the look of the images produced with the lens. When I move the slider all the way back to -75 or -65, I get a softer look that is very reminiscent of the old noct or a 75lux. When I move the slider to the positive side at +15 to +25, the contrast in the image almost becomes too strong ... but the result is more definition that is closer to the look of a cron with shallow depth of field. Because of the sharpness of the lens at f0.95, over the past few days I've really enjoyed the soft, yet sharp images I can get with the slider moved into that -65 range. I'll try to post a sample to see if you can see a difference in the two images. To me, the new noct/M9 combination is a great combination to shoot with because you can alter the look in so many ways with just one lens ... and that's only taking into consideration f0.95.

It was right before sunset, so this example shot is a warm one. The first is with the clarity slider at 0 ... the second is with the clarity slider at -65. It might be less pronounced in smaller jpegs, but there is a difference in the detail.

Kurt
very educative. appreciate it a lot.
compliments,-