The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

jonoslack

Wonderful spring image Jono! It's still snowing here! I love my 75 cron too!!! fabulous lens! Only wish I could find out why Leica is not shipping any of their 50 lux asph lenses.! Eleanor
HI Eleanor
Thank you - glad you like it - we had more snow than normal this year, but now spring is really on the move (although the trees in our garden are covered in buds rather than leaves).

the 75 'cron is great isn't it . . I've been tempted to get the 'lux, but the 'cron is a sensible size, and I don't really like using big lenses on the M9 (or paying for them!).

As for 50 'lux lenses - I think that they just do batches, and these lenses go very fast. I'm sure there will be more soon.

all the best

rayyan

thanks Rayyan, and I have been so drawn to your wonderful images of late...giving such a personal perspective of a part of the world I will only see in other's images. they are moving and stunning. Eleanor
rayyan, I was so moved to hear you speak of the Sherpas here in this way....Made me think of life in general....so many unsung heros in our world that never get their due. Thank you. Eleanor
Eleanor: Thank you for your gracious comments.

rayyan: You're welcome. No, I've done some study on the treks in that area; but, have never made it. I'm getting a vicarious thrill from your posts. Cheers, Matt
Matt: I am planning another trip. Join me? Will be fun :)

Beast regards to all.

rayyan

On the way to Shangri La...#5

Time to climb...begin the serious stuff. We have trekked 1 week from the valley to Lukla at 2800 meters. Ben Navis in Scotland is 1344 meters. Mount Olympus of Zeus fame is 2917 meters. Most people fly in here. We did not come to fly, but to climb.

Another few days climb and we are past Namche at 3446 meters. We pick up
our adventure here. The air is getting thinner. Altitude is taking its toll slowly.

We have to climb..much higher. Taking the thin path behind my wife on your left.

Slippery gravel, rocks. One mis-step could prove dangerous if not fatal.

It is tough going. The pace is slow. Steep rock face on the left. Free fall on the right. Loose gravel. We have to climb higher. The temperature is getting
cooler by the meter and oxygen gets thinner.

We continue our climb. The mountain peaks beckon to us. We are getting tired; a minute or two and then we are off again. we have to go higher.

Remember I told you about Yaks. They have the right of way. If one comes
along from the opposite direction, what do we do? If two or three! Good question. We cannot depend on Zeus down below!!

Thank you for being with us.

Last edited:

shtarka1

As i mentioned in my post to Matt, we are having a spring snow storm here in central Colorado. Here's one taken down by the Blue River in Silverthorne, CO with a 35 cron and the next one taken in Montezuma, CO with a 75 cron.
(that's not the Blue river which is pretty large, only a side ditch nearby)

Eleanor

Wonderful IQ & Shooting Eleanor!

shtarka1

There is a bridge. a small but important bridge. One has to cross this bridge
begining the climb.

It is a bridge that connects life and death. the living and the dead. our world
and the gateway to Shangri La.. Literally and figuratively...

It is a one way bridge with a compulsory right of way...for the Yaks!
You loose a member of your team..unfortunate. When you loose a Yak,
it is probable that all of the team will die. Right of way is for the Yaks.

One walks carefully across the bridge. Wind shear and 1200 meters straight down.

And walk with respect. Respect for the dead..those that died with honor..lived with honor..the code of Shangri La..

Each stone marks a Sherpa's resting place. Brought down from the mountains by another; on the Gateway to Shangri La. There are many more like this to honor the dead and to bring honor to Shangri La.

Cross the bridge with respect..walk through their land with humility..you
are walking through the resting place of the Guardians of Shangri La.

Time to climb...begin the serious stuff. We have trekked 1 week from the valley to Lukla at 2800 meters. Ben Navis in Scotland is 1344 meters. Mount Olympus of Zeus fame is 2917 meters. Most people fly in here. We did not come to fly, but to climb.

Another few days climb and we are past Namche at 3446 meters. We pick up
our adventure here. The air is getting thinner. Altitude is taking its toll slowly.

We have to climb..much higher. Taking the thin path behind my wife on your left.

Slippery gravel, rocks. One mis-step could prove dangerous if not fatal.

It is tough going. The pace is slow. Steep rock face on the left. Free fall on the right. Loose gravel. We have to climb higher. The temperature is getting
cooler by the meter and oxygen gets thinner.

We continue our climb. The mountain peaks beckon to us. We are getting tired; a minute or two and then we are off again. we have to go higher.

Remember I told you about Yaks. They have the right of way. If one comes
along from the opposite direction, what do we do? If two or three! Good question. We cannot depend on Zeus down below!!

Superb set & history lesson Rayyan! Much Respect to the Yak's!

rayyan

On the way to Shangri La...#6

We have been climbing for a few days now. The climb has been hard. Rayyan
wants to turn back. We push him on. We rest for a day; mindful of our supplies.

We are at about 4500 meters. That is high. How high?

Pikes Peak in colorado is 4300 meters.
Mount Rainier in Washington is 4400 meters.
The Matterhorn in the Alps is 4480 meters.

So we have climbed high. The air is cold; the oxygen is less plentiful. Rayyan is getting weak. Another day dawns..

We begin to glimpse and feel a sensation of awe. Respect. Humility. We seem insignificant. The Gateway to Shangri La is like a mirage. we catch
a glimpse of it...

We are surrounded by mountain peaks covered with snow as if from their
ramparts, the Guardians are watching us..mere mortals scaling their heights.

and why not? have we not left Zeus behind and below?

Rayyan wants to take it easy; I push him on, ask him to summon his inner
strength. Tell him that Mount St. Elias in Alaska is 5500 meters. It is the
second highest peak in North America. I tell Rayyan he is better than 5500 meters.

He gets up. We move on. We have much higher to climb. More than 5500 meters. Rayyan knows and I know that Denali is only 6200 meters.

I look around. Feel that the Guardians are watching us. With some pride and
admiration.

eleanorbrown

Ski season is over for the most part but after the big snow we got skiers were out in droves free skiing off the mountains in the Loveland Pass area. Here are a couple of shots I took up high today. M9 with 75 cron. Eleanor
first one shows two skiers to the left center of image climbing high to ski the powder. the Leica glass renders the skiers bitingly sharp!

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

Matt I like stuff like this. When you photograph in markets do you ever have people get bent out of shape because you are taking photos of their establishment/ their "stuff", etc. I enjoy photographing in Farmer's Markets but have had people ask me not to photograph their booth, etc. Eleanor

More from the Pike Place Market. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

Matt, You are making that Zeiss sing.
Cindy: Thank you!

Ski season is over for the most part but after the big snow we got skiers were out in droves free skiing off the mountains in the Loveland Pass area. Here are a couple of shots I took up high today. M9 with 75 cron. Eleanor
first one shows two skiers to the left center of image climbing high to ski the powder. the Leica glass renders the skiers bitingly sharp!
Eleanor: Really nice. Perfect exposure; great composition and IQ.

Matt I like stuff like this. When you photograph in markets do you ever have people get bent out of shape because you are taking photos of their establishment/ their "stuff", etc. I enjoy photographing in Farmer's Markets but have had people ask me not to photograph their booth, etc. Eleanor
Eleanor: I've got some dirty looks, but nobody really gets "bent out of shape". I try to be stealthy, if i can (Leica helps). Or, if not, smile. The guy in the produce stand just gave me a slice of apple. Probably at the Pike Place Market, if they wen't tolerant of people with cameras they wouldn't last. The first cruise ship arrived in town this weekend. they'll all end up at the market with cameras. I'm also 6'4" tall and look really mad and mean.:LOL: Just kidding. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

rayyan

Bicycle parking and the dentist...bicycle parking and the pig. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. M9; Zeiss 21mm f/2.8; 1/30s @ f/4; +1 EV; ISO 320

2. M9; Zeiss 21mm f/2.8; 1/45s @ f/9.5; ISO 1000

Matt: love the bicycle and the dentist. safer to cycle than drive with a toothache...easier parking too.:D

More from the Pike Place Market. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

1. M9; Zeiss 21mm f/2.8; 1/45s @ f/2.8; +1 EV; IS0 320

2. M9; 1/30s @ f/13; +1 EV; IS0 500

Matt: You are really getting along with the zm 21. The storefront is welcoming and the fruit stall feels that I am inside it. Pick an apple.

Very well done.

rayyan

Eleanor: These are beautiful photos. Gently and superbly executed.
The cron 75 apo is imho the best Leica has to offer.

Thanks for sharing.

rayyan

Rayyan: Spellbinding! Wonderful photos and narrative. I can see that little hill, Mt. Rainier, from my house on a clear day. Fascinating to see how far you go. Cheers, Matt.

Matt: It is always a pleasure if one can share a journey with friends. It is
not about ' that little hill ' or ' a bigger mountain ' Matt. But I believe you know that. I believe you are much taller than 6' 4".

Rayyan (and beautiful wife): I am in awe!

Matt, You are making that Zeiss sing.
Cindy: I am grateful for your kindness. Name is Ayesha. Rayyan is the
bean counter, the paper person. And yes, a sweet talker. I have a sneaky
suspicion that he will sweet talk his way to let the Guardians let him in ! As for me I have to carry him along. We have higher to climb.

Thank you all so much for being with us.