The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

m_driscoll

Matt: love the bicycle and the dentist. safer to cycle than drive with a toothache...easier parking too.:D

Matt: You are really getting along with the zm 21. The storefront is welcoming and the fruit stall feels that I am inside it. Pick an apple.

Very well done.
rayyan: Thank you. I'm enjoying the Zeiss 21. Although, I do have some shots where I'm just too far away from my intended "subject".

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Matt: It is always a pleasure if one can share a journey with friends. It is
not about ' that little hill ' or ' a bigger mountain ' Matt. But I believe you know that. I believe you are much taller than 6' 4".

Cindy: I am grateful for your kindness. Name is Ayesha. Rayyan is the
bean counter, the paper person. And yes, a sweet talker. I have a sneaky
suspicion that he will sweet talk his way to let the Guardians let him in ! As for me I have to carry him along. We have higher to climb.

Thank you all so much for being with us.
rayayn: Thank you again! Cheers, Matt,

rayyan

On the way to Shangri La...#7

In the mountains, one climbs high..sleeps low. Why? To let the body acclimatize to the altitude. We had descended to rest below and start our climb again.

The tents below are at about 5400 meters, as we look down on them.
Mount St. Elias is around 5490 meters. I think we are above that. What say you.

The climb is becoming hard, very hard for Rayyan. Each step takes a lot
of effort. Breathing also takes an effort. We take a different route. We are
at 5600 meters. Mt. Logan in the Yukon is around 5900 mts. Denali is 6200
meters. We are stepping into the land of the moraine. Thick Glacial ice, millions of years old. We walk over granite and ice. Slippery, have a fall
and the sharp granite will puncture your skin.

It is cold. The going is slow...very slow. The Guardians are watching. We feel it.

Climb high...sleep low. We shall have to retrace our steps. We are at 5750
meters. Climbing...over on the other side of the ' small ' rock on your extreme right. Slowly. very slowly. The Guardians of Shangri La do not give
up their secrets easily. They want to test you...to your limit; and then some more.

We are at 5800 meters...and climbing.

Don Libby

rayyan: Thank you very much for sharing not only the beautiful images from a mystical enchanted land as well as your thoughts. I remember as a kid watching an old movie about a group of adventures looking for Shangri La and even as a kid being struck by the beauty of the area.

I once read that a photograph should tell a story by itself and each of yours from the Shangri La series does that indeed however your thoughts add so much more than make it a "total package". I keep watching this thread for more images and thoughts and hope the journey never ends as it will be sad not to see new sights and hear new thoughts.

Thank you very much for including us in the journey

Don

Just an additional comment: I replaced my main 24" monitor this past Friday with a new 30" and while I still need to replace the graphics card the images on this thread just pop out of the screen. Beautiful work everyone! :thumbup:

shtarka1

Ski season is over for the most part but after the big snow we got skiers were out in droves free skiing off the mountains in the Loveland Pass area. Here are a couple of shots I took up high today. M9 with 75 cron. Eleanor
first one shows two skiers to the left center of image climbing high to ski the powder. the Leica glass renders the skiers bitingly sharp!

Bravo!!!:thumbs:

shtarka1

In the mountains, one climbs high..sleeps low. Why? To let the body acclimatize to the altitude. We had descended to rest below and start our climb again.

meters. We are stepping into the land of the moraine. Thick Glacial ice, millions of years old. We walk over granite and ice. Slippery, have a fall

It is cold. The going is slow...very slow. The Guardians are watching. We feel it.

meters. Climbing...over on the other side of the ' small ' rock on your extreme right. Slowly. very slowly. The Guardians of Shangri La do not give
up their secrets easily. They want to test you...to your limit; and then some more.

Tremendous Expanse & Documentary! Shine On Brotha...Shine On!

eleanorbrown

There was a time years ago when I wanted to go to Nepal...bought travel books, etc...but can't imaging climbing so high. Couldn't have done it. Ten years ago I climbed one of the Colorado moderate 14er's but that's as high as I've ever climbed. I look at your images of the way to shangri La and they seem so wonderfully mystical! Eleanor

We are at 5800 meters...and climbing.[/QUOTE]

rayyan

rayyan: Thank you very much for sharing not only the beautiful images from a mystical enchanted land as well as your thoughts. I remember as a kid watching an old movie about a group of adventures looking for Shangri La and even as a kid being struck by the beauty of the area.

I once read that a photograph should tell a story by itself and each of yours from the Shangri La series does that indeed however your thoughts add so much more than make it a "total package". I keep watching this thread for more images and thoughts and hope the journey never ends as it will be sad not to see new sights and hear new thoughts.

Thank you very much for including us in the journey

Don

Just an additional comment: I replaced my main 24" monitor this past Friday with a new 30" and while I still need to replace the graphics card the images on this thread just pop out of the screen. Beautiful work everyone! :thumbup:
Dan: This is one of the most gracious, kind, humbling and generous comment that anyone has given us. We are truly grateful.

Congrats on the new monitor. may you enjoy it in good health.

best regards.

eleanorbrown

Matt, I'm hoping my Leica with be more stealth in the markets from now on. Previously I used my Canon or my Phase One, both are larger and more intimidating. I've been accused of wanting to steal fashion designs with my photographs....these at little mountain markets! So I'll go with the little Leica in the future! Eleanor

Cindy: Thank you!

Eleanor: Really nice. Perfect exposure; great composition and IQ.

Eleanor: I've got some dirty looks, but nobody really gets "bent out of shape". I try to be stealthy, if i can (Leica helps). Or, if not, smile. The guy in the produce stand just gave me a slice of apple. Probably at the Pike Place Market, if they wen't tolerant of people with cameras they wouldn't last. The first cruise ship arrived in town this weekend. they'll all end up at the market with cameras. I'm also 6'4" tall and look really mad and mean.:LOL: Just kidding. Cheers, Matt.

jonoslack

Rayvan
Your pictures are a real treat - and I loved the sherpa tribute, it's always seemed to me that they were the real unsung heroes of the himalayas.
Eleanor
Love the late skiing shots - make me really jealous too, I rang a friend this afternoon and he was on top of a piste at Val d'Isere (grrrrr).

Still, the blossom is just coming out in our garden, so perhaps I shouldn't complain. It's so pretty that it's easy to forget that you actually are supposed to make the composition and colour work!

Here are a couple of shots from today with the M9 and the 75 'cron (hopefully I remembered)

all the best

eleanorbrown

Jono, these are wonderful flower images....that 75 cron is great for close ups like these. Eleanor

Here are a couple of shots from today with the M9 and the 75 'cron (hopefully I remembered)

all the best[/QUOTE]

Lloyd

Powerful stuff, both words and images. Thank you for sharing the journey... and the lessons.

rayyan

There was a time years ago when I wanted to go to Nepal...bought travel books, etc...but can't imaging climbing so high. Couldn't have done it. Ten years ago I climbed one of the Colorado moderate 14er's but that's as high as I've ever climbed. I look at your images of the way to shangri La and they seem so wonderfully mystical! Eleanor
Eleanor: Thank you for your kind comments. Dear lady, of course you can
climb much higher; mountains are mere obstacles. We are made of sterner
stuff.

Take care.

rayyan

On the way to Shangri La...#8

We were at 5800 meters.

Climb high..sleep low. The sun sets across the peaks of Shangri La. We can see the moon. The whole world around us takes on a majestic appearance.

A new day.. we start another climb. Rayyan has blisters on both of his feet.
He is tired. His breathing is causing him problems. We have made very slow progress. But we have reached 5910 meters. We stop after traversing behind a mini avalanche...

Rayyan wants me to continue. He and a Sherpa intend to return to where
we rested last night. Rayyan tells me I could make it to Danali. I know for myself that I can.

I look at Rayyan...then at the peaks that surround us. I can hear the guardians whisper. A little further, says the voice ..and you are there..

We have been on this journey for a long time. One month. But we started
another journey 37 years ago. The guardians have their codes; we have ours. They open the gates of Shangri La for both of us..or for neither.
One gate was never an option, and never will be.

Yes, we were close very very close. Almost touch it.

We took one last look. Rayyan glanced at me, held my hand and we started
our descent. 5910 meters down. There would be another Shangri La.

jonoslack

We have been on this journey for a long time. One month. But we started
another journey 37 years ago. The guardians have their codes; we have ours. They open the gates of Shangri La for both of us..or for neither.
One gate was never an option, and never will be.
:clap::clap::clap:

I'm sorry - it's cheapskate to use emoticons, but I really am impressed, and i'm not sure how to put it better
(the pictures are good too)