The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun time / M8 images

Little commercial shot I did two days ago. This was 2 minutes after I smacked my head into a door frame climbing a ladder and i compressed my neck. Head hard as a rock which is no surprise but who said this stuff is easy. Have to say love the M8 but sometimes on a pressure cooker it can be a bit frustrating when it comes to getting everything lined up perfectly. But the files just make it worth the extra effort.
50 lux and processing over 200 raws from a 600 shot day. BTW went through 1.5 batteries which is not bad considering a load of chimping

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Outstanding commercial shot Guy --- great exposure balance and perfectly composed with the truck readable, though slightly oof in the background! :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Jack , yea just a little different looking . The truck was the key otherwise it would not have worked as well. here is another with strobe fill outside . i use a Dynalite sine battery setup to power my strobes . Love this unit for outside work since i can use my studio strobes. http://www.dynalite.com/fxp1100_n.html

Here is one you can't even notice the flash. I'm lighting on very low just to add to it.

Guy Mancuso

Great when you have a completely overcast sky which in this case was very flat so it gives you a little punch. What i would like to see us do on the forum is get folks out there shooting with strobe to give just that extra pop that we run into. You know that M shooters don't use flash or tripods is such a bad statement we here much to often and is never the case. Tools help the photography result and tripods are vital and so is strobe when used correctly.

Maggie O

Guy, did you punch up the saturation in those commercial shots? They seem different from your usual work.

Guy Mancuso

Not really , have to use the recovery a little more than I want since the skies are wash out than a touch fill and a touch black but yes they do have some real punch to them. Here is another with the 90mm Summarit at f4 with a little strobe fill.

Ben Tanner

Workshop Member

Guy - I would love to see one of those jet cockpit shots made with the CV12. It would be interesting to see the comparison to that shot you have in your gallery. Was that made on roll film or 4X5? Ben

Guy Mancuso

Zeiss 21mm Distgon on a 1ds on the cockpit but I would love to try the 12mm

S

Steve

Guy, could I use profoto heads on that unit you have? Thanks Steve

Guy Mancuso

Yes you can it can handle a 1200 watt Acute pack for sure. I have used that quite a bit even with 2 heads running 600 watts each. Now you can get without a doubt about 140 full power shots off. Which is pretty darn good and you can also buy a second battery and switch out. Now they cost around 1100 dollars for the unit but you don't have to buy special battery units which given the power and speed are not exactly cheap. You can get 3 or 4 second recycle times so if your doing normal stuff that is pretty cost effective. Obviously if a fashion shooter than maybe the gas generators would be a better choice or go with battery units. The nice part is you keep the amount of different systems down to one setup for everything AC and DC than one or the other which I like and certainly saves money overall.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Two more --- that shot is awesome --- so Rockwell-esque!