The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: More and more fun with M8 images

We already do it, but as a minor part of the curriculum. We'd certainly add a dedicated B&W conversion section in the future if there is enough interest expressed to support it.

:thumbs:,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

PS: Here are some B&W conversions from last year's Moab trip on M8 files using *ONLY* C1 and nothing else. I am particularly impressed with C1's ability to keep clouds looking like clouds, and not blown out or posterized splotches that I sometimes see with LR/ACR B&W conversions. First and second are normal light, third is IR:

Lloyd

PS: Here are some B&W conversions from last year's Moab trip on M8 files using *ONLY* C1 and nothing else. I am particularly impressed with C1's ability to keep clouds looking like clouds, and not blown out or posterized splotches that I sometimes see with LR/ACR B&W conversions. First and second are normal light, third is IR:
Nice. I particularly like that IR.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Probably in May, and probably along the California Coast between Point Reyes and Big Sur, and probably with a Napa or Calistoga wine country shoot on the front end, and it will probably run from a Monday AM through Saturday Noon :)

However, we probably won't have a printing module this time around and instead focus on more actual shooting time, shooting techniques and continue to focus on file processing techniques that will include our "getting a file ready for print" module.

Stay tuned for the official notice on our main workshop announcement area, probably be up the beginning of next month.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

We will still be teaching Raw processing , CS4 and of course add the B&W module with programs like C1, LR and CS4. Big emphasis on composition and shooting which was a big part of the Moab workshop and as you see in the images everyone excelled very well at it. I think some of the best things we bring to the workshops are these area's we cover very heavily.

ElvisKennedy

Mike:

If you don't mind my asking, what lens did you use on those three friends of your family portraits? They are lovely shots and I like the drawing of whatever lens you used. I'm considering a 50 lux or the 75 cron for portraits and your shots have the look I'm after. Thanks.

Elvis

gero

Probably in May, and probably along the California Coast between Point Reyes and Big Sur, and probably with a Napa or Calistoga wine country shoot on the front end, and it will probably run from a Monday AM through Saturday Noon :)

However, we probably won't have a printing module this time around and instead focus on more actual shooting time, shooting techniques and continue to focus on file processing techniques that will include our "getting a file ready for print" module.

Stay tuned for the official notice on our main workshop announcement area, probably be up the beginning of next month.
Its too bad of the printing since it would round up the hole process.

jonoslack

We will still be teaching Raw processing , CS4 and of course add the B&W module with programs like C1, LR and CS4.
Don't forget silver efex pro . . . I think that NIK, with the Upoint technology and the structure tool have really got something going (not to mention the film types)

JPlomley

Silver Efex Pro is an incredible program, but even after conversion I still find that images can benefit from selective contrast adjustments using curves. I'm also always impressed with the power of the gradient map tool for conversion with a couple of custom curves that can get you pretty close to Nik.

For analogue shooters, perhaps some tips on scanning B&W film. Not a trivial task.

Lloyd

Sales Clerk at the local Leica shop... not bad hanging around there! :angel:

CV 75/2.5 Color-Heliar:

Guy Mancuso

Looking for a rich doctor maybe or maybe a really good looking photographer. Leaves me out on both counts. LOL

Lloyd

Looking for a rich doctor maybe or maybe a really good looking photographer. Leaves me out on both counts. LOL
Even if I weren't taken, wouldn't work for me either... I've got socks older than her! :bugeyes: (Actually, she's a terrific person, and even puts up with us old farts hanging around there.) ;)

Guy Mancuso

I like brunette's anyway if I had to be picky. Not that I even have that chance the old married fart i am. Last time i got hit on was a 75 year old hooker in NY, I kid you not.:wtf:

stevem8

Wow, I am off for a few hours and find even more amazing shots here! Anyway, here is one more from me, in color.

jonoslack

Even if I weren't taken, wouldn't work for me either... I've got socks older than her! :bugeyes: (Actually, she's a terrific person, and even puts up with us old farts hanging around there.) ;)
. . . and you dared take her photograph with a CV lens:confused::confused:
That enigmatic look of hers says something like:

"I think we'll organise Harold the Hitman to deal with this old fool who takes pictures with Japanese lens"

(nice shot though)

Lloyd

I like brunette's anyway if I had to be picky. Not that I even have that chance the old married fart i am. Last time i got hit on was a 75 year old hooker in NY, I kid you not.:wtf:
:ROTFL: That is tooo funny. You handsome devil!! ;)

Lloyd

. . . and you dared take her photograph with a CV lens:confused::confused:
That enigmatic look of hers says something like:

"I think we'll organise Harold the Hitman to deal with this old fool who takes pictures with Japanese lens"

(nice shot though)
:( oh no!! I'll be in hiding for a while! ;)

Actually, she's the Canon gal... doesn't know CV from CBS. :)