The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

N

nei1

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

Beautiful Woody,like turning on a light.

Lloyd

Had to run some errands today, so I took the back roads.

28 Summicron @ f8:

28 Summicron @ f2: (Focus might be a bit off; very windy):

CV 50/1.5 Nokton wide open:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

I really like the last two Lloyd. The composition on that B&W 50 Nokton shot is very nice. I like how the trees make a "hill" shape, complimenting the moutain range in the back.

woodyspedden

Lloyd

I love your images and note the number taken with the 28 Cron. I (now crazy I admit) sold my 28 Cron for a not too princely sum. Now that I am admittedly crazy I will be buying it again. I think every opportunity to sell a Leica lens should be with a mandatory 4 month sentence to a no-trading/selling moratorium! Changing your mind is a mind numbing financial mess.

Woody

Lloyd

Had to run some errands today, so I took the back roads.

28 Cron wide open:
My own image, and I mistakenly said this was taken with the CV 50/1.5, when in fact it was with the 28 Cron!!

Lloyd

Lloyd

I love your images and note the number taken with the 28 Cron. I (now crazy I admit) sold my 28 Cron for a not too princely sum. Now that I am admittedly crazy I will be buying it again. I think every opportunity to sell a Leica lens should be with a mandatory 4 month sentence to a no-trading/selling moratorium! Changing your mind is a mind numbing financial mess.

Woody
I agree completely!! I've fallen victim too often. In fact, my wife talked my out of selling me Nocti just last night. :confused:

As for the 28 Cron, I love it so much, I recently considered getting a second copy... just because. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Lloyd

Comparing the Leica 50/1 Noctilux and the CV 50/1.5 Nokton. Tripod mounted, no change in position, just a lens swap.

One shot with the Nocti wide open, then at 1.4. The CV is shot at 1.5. Can you tell which image is shot with which lens? Interestingly enough, there is a slight difference in perspective between them, and the CV lens has a slightly shorter minimum focus length.

Lloyd

Here's a crop of a shot with the CV from a very slightly different perspective (I pulled back to the other perspective to accommodate the minimum focus distance of the Nocti), and with a little more processing. (The first three were minimally processed, and all precisely the same.)

For me, I won't give up the Nocti, but there's clearly nothing wrong with this CV Nokton... especially given that I can by about 15 of them for the price of the Leica lens!

Lloyd

In the comparison shots above. #1 is the Nocti at 1.4; 2 is the CV at 1.5; and 3 is the Nocti wide open.

Stuart Richardson

I object! I correctly identified the noctilux shots, though I was too blind to figure out the apertures. You made your point though...quite similar, though the Nocton has busier bokeh and more contrast.

Lloyd

I object! I correctly identified the noctilux shots, though I was too blind to figure out the apertures. You made your point though...quite similar, though the Nocton has busier bokeh and more contrast.
I agree with that assesment... although it's very hard to tell unless they are side-by-side. I think the bokeh looks a little "busier" than it might had I not reduced the size of these files, and sharpened them for web posting. The bokeh seemed a little smoother on all of them before I did those steps.

Stuart Richardson

You won't find an argument from me -- the noctilux never really tempted me...even when they were 1500-2000 used, that was a lot of money for a giant heavy lens that is only 1 stop faster and only focuses to 1m. The 75/1.4...now that is another story...

gDallasK

I recently visited Galloway in Scotland with my M8. I created a panorama from four M8 & 35mm Summilux images.

Here is the result :

http://www.pbase.com/gdallask/image/109317090

A few days later I "discovered" Nik Colour Effex Pro and downloaded the trial version. Here is the same image with a bit of attention to the sky and the addition of a polarising filter effect :

http://www.pbase.com/gdallask/image/109599633

I have to say, I like the enhanced version but it somehow feels wrong. What do others think?