The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: More and more fun with M8 images

Here's a panorama with the 28 'cron

More magic!

How did you carry the camera, and how did the M8 handle the cold? I've had to hide mine under my coat in cold temps, and I can't imagine skiing with it.

Gary P

Hi Jono,

Beautiful! Did you use a polarizing filter? The skies are awesome!

Gary P

jonoslack

More magic!

How did you carry the camera, and how did the M8 handle the cold? I've had to hide mine under my coat in cold temps, and I can't imagine skiing with it.
Thanks Lloyd. I never thought about the cold . . . but it was a sunny day today, so maybe it wasn't an issue.

As for carrying it . . . . I was actually carrying two bodies, as that's easier than changing lenses. I use a LowPro Sling shot 100AW thingy - when you swing it around to your front, it opens on top (i.e. on the side) which means you can grab the camera without taking the bag off - it also has the advantage that you don't need to take the bag off to turn it around when you get on a chair lift (just swing it to the front).

It's been quite a revelation this year - I stop and take photographs, and now it's Emma waiting for me at the end of the piste!

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Beautiful! Did you use a polarizing filter? The skies are awesome!

Gary P
HI Gary
No - just the standard Leica IR filter. It's high up . . . . and I used the red filter in Silver efex pro when doing the conversions :)

Gary P

Thanks Jono!

I ordered an 8.2 from Robert White at the end of February I'm still waiting for it's arrival, and asking a lot of questions in EXTREME anticipation. Thank you for sharing! I admire your photography!

Where were you skiing? It looks just beautiful!

Gary P

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. I never thought about the cold . . . but it was a sunny day today, so maybe it wasn't an issue.

As for carrying it . . . . I was actually carrying two bodies, as that's easier than changing lenses. I use a LowPro Sling shot 100AW thingy - when you swing it around to your front, it opens on top (i.e. on the side) which means you can grab the camera without taking the bag off - it also has the advantage that you don't need to take the bag off to turn it around when you get on a chair lift (just swing it to the front).

It's been quite a revelation this year - I stop and take photographs, and now it's Emma waiting for me at the end of the piste!
Thanks for the info, Jono. In the cold I typically carry a spare battery in a pocket with a hand warmer, and will switch them at regular intervals. I also try to hold the camera under at least my outer coat; which keeps it somewhat warm, but doesn't result in the lens fogging over when I take it out to shoot. That's the procedure I used at Bryce Canyon last month. Of course I was hiking, and not skiing. Skiing with the camera under the coat could present some issues. :)

I have that same bag, and use it for the Leica gear (I also use the 200AW with my DSLR when biking), but find that the M8 tends to shift around when placed in the top. I've actually broken the shade on my 28 'cron as a result, which is very frustrating. There is a lot convenience to that sling design for sure, so a little shifting isn't too bad, I suppose.

Thanks again for the info, and the marvelous, and inspiring photos!:salute:

markwon

Jono, I can't believe that you go skiing to mountains like that! The places we have here in PA are like hills in comparison.

Order of shots:
1-90 elmarit-m
2-50 pre ASPH
3-cv15 heliar
4-90 elmarit-m

Last edited:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

Hi There
I've been skiing all day today, just fiddled with a few photos with the M8.

All with the 28 'cron except the last, taken with the 50 'cron
Jono - this one really caught my attention. Great capture, and nice processing.

Mike

Terry

Wow,
I've been traveling all week and I missed some amazing shots! Bravo to all.

M

MEB

Sound studio session

M8 CV35/1.4 at ISO 640.

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Mark (East Lansing, Michigan)

Lloyd

Jono, I can't believe that you go skiing to mountains like that! The places we have here in PA are like hills in comparison.

Order of shots:
1-90 elmarit-m
2-50 pre ASPH
3-cv15 heliar
4-90 elmarit-m
Wow, Mark! Great stuff all. Nicely done!!:thumbs:

Lloyd

Re: Sound studio session

M8 CV35/1.4 at ISO 640.

Very nice shot. Perfect composition. I like the separation you're getting with the wide aperture here. Nice 3D look. Let's see more!!:thumbup:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member

M8 CV35/1.4 at ISO 640.

Nice shot Mark. When I have higher ISO captures in low light like this, I always check to see how a B&W conversion would look, as sometimes the B&W tonalities are very nice compared to the high ISO color. I'd be curious to see this shot processed as B&W. May not work here, as the colors on the control board really help define this image.

Mike

M

MEB

Nice shot Mark. When I have higher ISO captures in low light like this, I always check to see how a B&W conversion would look, as sometimes the B&W tonalities are very nice compared to the high ISO color. I'd be curious to see this shot processed as B&W. May not work here, as the colors on the control board really help define this image.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I usually prefer the B&W versions of my Leica shots. I use Silver Efex Pro in Photoshop to do the conversions. With this shot, as you suspected, the grayscale version was flat and not as interesting. The mixing board almost looks like a pin ball arcade with all the different colors. The story lost something without the colors.

Thanks for your comments.

Mark

Lloyd

One from the archives. CV 35/1.2 Nokton (sold this lens, maybe I shouldn't have):