The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

akiralx

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

First efforts with my new 50 Summilux-ASPH. Ramsay was the only model available...

cam

Re: with this ring

Awesome!:salute:
thank you, Lloyd! it was either that or one of the pony tail :p

i'm in a bit of a quandary as the 75 Lux is turning out to be my favourite on the M8 (followed closely by the Nocti).... i knew it was a step above my other lenses, but on the M8 it's shockingly so. trying to figure what my walk-about lens will be -- 28 Cron or 35 Lux ASPH (even though i stupidly keep looking for a user Aspherical because i prefer its older draw). when i read Sean Reid's review on the 24 Lux, i had to shut my computer :ROTFL:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member

Nice shot Cam!

I understand your love of the 75L. I find that even though I carry what few lenses I have with me, I rarely change lenses while shooting. I suppose I would if someone were paying me. But I'm perfectly content to just see whatever I should see depending on what lens is mounted. So it's not uncommon for me to just walk around all day with the 75 in place (for example) and never switch it. I'm beginning to wonder why I even bother to carry the other ones around with me. Guess I figure it makes me look cooler. No easy feat. :rolleyes:

Lloyd

Re: with this ring

thank you, Lloyd! it was either that or one of the pony tail :p

i'm in a bit of a quandary as the 75 Lux is turning out to be my favourite on the M8 (followed closely by the Nocti).... i knew it was a step above my other lenses, but on the M8 it's shockingly so. trying to figure what my walk-about lens will be -- 28 Cron or 35 Lux ASPH (even though i stupidly keep looking for a user Aspherical because i prefer its older draw). when i read Sean Reid's review on the 24 Lux, i had to shut my computer :ROTFL:
I felt the same about Sean's review, and about the 18/3.8 with all the amazing images posted here recently. I tend to shoot what ever's on the M8 at the time, but when I think about it, my default seems to be the 28 Cron.

Now, let's see more of your work with that 75 lux!:thumbup:

cam

LOL, HS, i am the same way. the only time i change lenses, really, is if i'm going from day to night -- in which case the Nocti is always in my bag. otherwise, i prefer to stick to one focal length per outing. i've been a little distressed that the 75 Lux is starting to feel not quite so large and heavy -- a testament to my lugging it around.... even at f/8 on the street, the draw is breath-taking!

Lloyd, GAS never ends, does it? :ROTFL: i got another lecture about f/1.4 lenses should only be for people who use and need f/1.4. this from somebody who was pushing me to sell my Nocti so i could afford the M8.2 rather than a used M8. he then (as have others) actually admitted that he liked one of my Nocti shots and that i seem to use it properly -- low light....

for instance, out with a friend walking along the Seine with our M8's, he had to stop taking pics with the Nokton 35/1.2 whilst i kept on shooting. he laughed endlessly when i struggled to focus on some cyclists coming by, clowning for me, at a great pace in absolutely no light. guess what? i actually got focus on the lead guys peace sign! unfortunately, the image was somewhat marred by the :angry: metering on the cam that under-exposed the image by more than 3 stops because it was fooled by the lights of oncoming cars in the background.

(eta: the above shot was taken whilst i was connected to electricity at rehab, so shutter shake was all mine :D it's a slight crop, because i loved the lines -- the most perfect focus being on the cutting floor.)

Stuart Richardson

Cam -- the 75/1.4 is probably the most beautiful lens Leica has ever designed -- it is really versatile and the pictures are just beautiful. There is definitely a sweet spot from f/2.5-4 (for a mix of sharpness and bokeh at least), and when shot at 1.4 it has the lovely glowy-ness to the highlights. That said, I find it a bit long on the M8...did you prefer 90mm lenses on film? As far as I am concerned there is only one other lens (the Zeiss 110mm f/2 Planar for 6x6) that can give you that same perfect combination of subject isolation and creamy background -- a Goldilocks lens -- everything is just right.

The 75/1.4 just has a gorgeous look on black and white film...here are a few of my older ones...if you'll forgive the non-M8 shots...

Yeah, and color too...

cam

ah, Stuart! your shots are some of the ones that led me to hold out for the Lux rather than getting the much lighter Cron....

it is, to be honest, too long on the M8 as a walk-around lens. it's absolutely brilliant for sitting at the cafés, though -- both inside and out. i've just been walking around with it because i'm smitten with the look :p

i do that with any new lens -- use only it whilst learning it so i have some chance in hell of being able to focus it correctly when i'm in a low light situation where i really need it. i did the same with my Nocti and it has paid off as both are bears to focus quickly. (thank you for the tip on apertures to play with)

have you found any wider lens that have some of its magic?

Stuart Richardson

Thanks f/1! I am glad you like the photo. You have some lovely ones.

Cam, thanks to you too for the compliments. As for a wider lens with the magic -- I think the 35/1.4 ASPH has it. It is not quite the same, but it is an outstanding lens that is sharp, has nice bokeh, and is eminently usable. Again, I like it better on film than the M8, but it works well on the M8 too. For the M8, I primarily use the 28/2 and 50/1.4 ASPH, too other great lenses, but with less personality I think.

35/1.4 ASPH on M8...apologies if you have seen these:

And on film:

If it matters to people, the first M8 photo was at 2.8, then every other photo was at f/1.4 -- it is a super lens wide open.

cam

beautiful shots, f/1!

thank you, Stuart for your input and lovely examples, sigh.... i do have my eye on a 28/2 that's going for a reasonable price, but think it is the 35/1.4 ASPH that i really want. (a little concerned about the troubles people say they have had with this on the M8, though.) i know focus wide open is brutal on the M8, but.... i am such a Mandler girl!

what are the sweet spots for both of these lenses (other than wide open)? you are a font of knowledge, i will gladly drink from.

Stuart Richardson

Hi Cam, the main reason I use the 28/2 and 50/1.4 on the M8 is because the 35/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4 have focus shift on the M8. I have never noticed it on film, but on digital it can be an issue. Both my 35/1.4 and 75/1.4 focus more or less spot on at 1.4, but then they focus behind the point of focus from f/2 to f/4 or so. Overall, I think the non-shifting of the 28/2 and 50/1.4 make them easier to use on the M8. That said, lots of times camera to subject distance and aperture cover up for any slight focus shift in the 35 and 75. Just be prepared for some shots with people's ears in focus, rather than their eyes.

Overall, I think both lenses can be used at any aperture. That said, I think both are really superb at f/4 -- you are reaching a good balance of very high sharpness and still a nice, good amount of bokeh (well, depending on camera to subject distance).

Here are two shots taken at f/4:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member

As far as I am concerned there is only one other lens (the Zeiss 110mm f/2 Planar for 6x6) that can give you that same perfect combination of subject isolation and creamy background -- a Goldilocks lens -- everything is just right.
Stuart - the R80/1.4 has the same (similar) look. Same design and same year as the M75, and the characteristics from 1.4 - 5.6 are about the same for both lenses from what I have seen. It is really nice because you have such a range of "looks" in the way the lens renders in that range and even from 1.4 - 2.0. There is a sweet spot for portraits at 3.4 on the R80 (depending on your distance from the subject) where you can get nose, eyes, and ears in focus but still have wonderful isolation and creamy backgrounds - just like you were saying about the M75. Did you ever use it when you had the DMR?

DavidE

Here are two more from the Adventuredome in Las Vegas. For the roller coaster shots, I tried to have everything steady except for the blur of the roller coaster. For these two Disko ride shots, I waited until the ride reached its crest, hoping I could get a steady shot of the ride without any blur.

The Leica UV/IR filter isn't yet available for the 18mm lens. You can see some probably-shouldn't-be purple fabric in the first shot.

Apart from the temporary lack of the filter, I'm very happy with the 18mm.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]