The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Lloyd

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M8 Images

Stuart, Some great shots and info. Thanks for sharing.

DavidE

This is from last week's NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) tradeshow. I squatted on the floor to shoot it at 1/15 of a second. I used the Leica 18mm lens.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

Last edited:

All three images are taken near Jumbo Rocks area in Joshua Tree National Park. Makes you wonder how these rocks stay there with all the shaking that CA does. All are taken with an M8 and then made into platinum prints.

Last edited:

cam

lovely, Patrick! i was going to ask you where after your last set of JT images, but here you say. and the last shot is unmistakeable!

i spent many Thanksgivings at Jumbo Rocks, but stayed elsewhere in the park, usually, if i was going to climb. sigh.... just beautiful, you make me miss it!

ETA: and, Davis, your NAB shots -- another old haunt.... do you ever get out to Red Rocks during the shows?

Thanks Cam,
The third image should tell you that we were in the Jumbo Rocks campground, enter and go to the left. After taking that image, I turned around and saw the first image, didn't even have to move much. I am with you, the more time I spend there, the more I enjoy it.
Patrick

cam

yes! it is an addictive and seductive place! you've captured some of its otherworldliness well.

the thought of bringing an M8 out there scares me to death, though! i remember what that tequila bottle looked like when it was dropped during a sunset climb. the incident will forever be known as "Blood on the Rocks."

DavidE

your NAB shots -- another old haunt.... do you ever get out to Red Rocks during the shows?
Sadly, I've never been far away from the convention center or the strip during all the years I've been going there. Sounds like it would be a worthwhile excursion.

cam

Sadly, I've never been far away from the convention center or the strip during all the years I've been going there. Sounds like it would be a worthwhile excursion.
i'm going to slap you upside the head for that!

you seem to go to even more trade shows than i ever did (and i did quite a lot) and you've never been? abso****inglutely stunning! seriously, next show you have to go and try to catch sunset or sunrise there. take a sick day! it's absolutely another place altogether and you will never think of Vegas the same. the colours, at the right time of day, are outrageous. but even in flat light, there is a beauty of it's own. and if you can get high enough (i only did this on a climb), you can see all the lights from the strip....

there are also so many fantastic "ranches" out there and a whimsical brothel museum. classic photo opportunities that are so incongruous with the Strip. all the old-timers i met were fantastic and i truly regret i was not into photography at the time though i can still see the faces in my head. one word of caution, though -- do not even think of doing the wine tasting offered out that way. makes Manishevitz taste like Veuve Clicquot.

Lloyd

. makes Manishevitz taste like Veuve Clicquot.
Those two statements crack me up... and that last one, too *****ing true!:scry::scry:

cam

Those two statements crack me up... and that last one, too *****ing true!:scry::scry:
always happy to amuse!

(i get in soooooooo much trouble here by the fact that the littlest thing can set me off in gales of laughter. they all think, rightly so, that i am utterly mad :D )

DavidE

Ouch! Hey, use a rolled-up newspaper next time!

You're right, I need to venture out more when I'm in Vegas. I should add an extra day, rent a car, and explore the terrain.

Here are some more from the NAB (and Digital Cinema Summit) trip -- all with the new 18mm.

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the images don't load the first time.]

S

sclamb

You're getting a lot of opportunities to use that 18mm :) I need to get out more.

Simon

DavidE

You're getting a lot of opportunities to use that 18mm :) I need to get out more.

Simon
The timing worked out well with the 18mm. David Farkas was able to ship the lens to me a couple of days before I left for NAB.

I don't get out that much, except for the tradeshows I attend, so I'm trying to set aside time at the shows to use the camera. Turns out my yard and street aren't all that interesting visually. :)

cam

Ouch! Hey, use a rolled-up newspaper next time!
i promise! (sorry)

your explanation that you are an attendee makes me feel a bit sheepish. i worked the trade shows so there was time to go and play a little if set up went well, before the grind began.

i think that 18mm is stunning! and you do get shots i never would (too busy putting my feet up if i wasn't schmoozing dealers -- day after day on that floor in heels is brutal). what aperture were you using most of the time?

DavidE

what aperture were you using most of the time?
I'm new to the M8 world (less than two months), so I'm still finding my way. I shot everything aperture priority and almost everything at ISO 160. Most were wide open at f/3.8, but when there was plenty of light, I stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8 to increase the DOF. I've been using a DP1 (28mm and f/4.0) for the last 12 months, and that's similar to how I was shooting with that camera.

cam

thanks! i'm even newer than you, so not to worry. and before your DP1, you had the Ricoh.... you and i followed similar paths -- only i threw up my hands in frustration with the Sigma and got an Epson :p

stevem8

David...next time you are in Vegas venture out! Tons to see and do..

Cam..you were right. I love this 28 Cron...

M8, 28 at F2, ISO 1250

DavidE

Nice portrait, Steve. I didn't realize ISO 1250 could work so well in B&W. I've been reluctant to go there. Any tips for processing at that high an ISO rating?

Lloyd

David...next time you are in Vegas venture out! Tons to see and do..

Cam..you were right. I love this 28 Cron...

M8, 28 at F2, ISO 1250

That really is nice, Steve. And especially so for 1250 ISO!!:salute:

Hey, what's not to like about that 28 Cron!?!:thumbs: