The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 4.8.3 supports M9

scott kirkpatrick

I've had a chance to check out the service release of Capture One which is supposed to be released tomorrow. It opens dng files direct from an M9 (I have a few found in the forums) into an optimized (or at least first-pass) M9 profile. See my post over at the LUG for two examples. DNG files that have been compressed by ACR or LR also open, but into a neutral dng profile that works, but is not as close. The release updates are the following:

> Capture One 4.8.3 includes:
>
> - Bugfixes
>
> o Mac: Improved compatibility with Snow Leopard.
>
> o Mac: Fixed issue causing out of memory in certain circumstances.
>
> - Image Quality Improvements
>
> o Improved P65+ and P40+ image quality for some shooting conditions.
>
> o Improvement of default import DNG colors.
>
> - Added camera support
>
> o Leica M9.
>
> o Canon 500D/Rebel T1i.
>

scott

John Black

This is very good news IMO. Most of the DNGs I've downloaded from the M9 have a strong reddish / magenta tone in the skin tones. I've tried working DNGs in C1, and 4.8.2 Pro won't open the uncompressed DNGs. It did open the compressed ones, but assigned the "Neutral DNG Profile" which was so-so and didn't handle highlights well. C1 4.8.1 non-Pro did read the uncompressed DNGs, but they had serious highlight issues as well. 4.8.1 picked up the Neutral DNG profile as well. I couldn't find any reference to M9 in the Mac version (checked package contents for 4.8, 4.8.1 and 4.8.2). I'm hoping 4.8.3 does well with the M9 files.

thomas

just installed.
The session files (*.col) still show up in the browser.
The camera profile bug is still there (with output set to "embed camera profile" you can't set the proof profile to "selected recipe"; instead you have to set the monitor profile as proof profile).

AND STILL NO ZOOM SMALLER THAN TO FIT :mad::thumbdown::wtf::angry::cry::cussing::scry::(:banghead:

stephengilbert

Did you unistall the earlier version? I see you can't just upgrade through the program: it tells me have have the most recent version even though the download page shows the newer one.

Thanks, Steve

thomas

The camera profile bug is still there (with output set to "embed camera profile" you can't set the proof profile to "selected recipe"; instead you have to set the monitor profile as proof profile).
just a problem with the naming conventions of Eizo's Color Navigator in the monitor profile. Comma, dash and blank space should be replaced by _ (was not an issue on Leopard).

T

tonyroth

I just received my M9 and imported my first DNG's into capture one, which i just started using within the past week.

I'm a bit confused. With all my D300 NEF files, the capture one demosaic converter produces a significantly nicer image than either LR 2.5 or 3.0 beta. But with the leica DNG's, the opposite is so far true.

I know this doesn't give you much to go on, but any thoughts on why this might be happening?

Also, when I import the Leica DNG's into Capture One, how do make the software use the M9 profile? I don't even see where a camera profile can be selected.

Sorry for the very basic questions.

Tony.