The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ff - 3-2-1 lens set - focal length

Paratom

Now being back in ff-world with the M9.
Which would be your choice if you had to limit yourself to 3 focal length?

75-50-28?
or maybe 50-28-21?
or 75-35-21
or 50-24-18

or just 2?
35-90
or 28-50
or 24-50

or 1?
35? or 50?
:salute:

douglasf13

As I've mentioned a few times in other threads, I'm seriously considering selling all of my DSLR gear for an M9 and a 50. :bugeyes::bugeyes:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The answer is ... YES. (to all of the above)

With the M9 you're back to the traditional lens selections for M's of ages past.

What works for one of us might not work for you but there's an internet chock full of answers to this question.

For me personally, it's going to be WATE, 35/2, 50/1.4, 90/2.8 again. That's 4 I know :ROTFL:. I might even contemplate selling the WATE and sticking with my Zeiss 21/2.8.

V

Vivek

You are not into visoflex and close-up accessories? :)

Seriously, I strongly suspect that the M9 is UV (and to some extent) IR capable.

This opens up a floodgate of possibilities for me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Same as when I shot with film: 21, 28 and 50. 2 would be the 28 and 50, one would be tough, but probably the 28...

jlancasterd

With my M8 at least 95% of the images I made were with a CV 28/3.5. If I were buying one lens for the M9, therefore, it would be a 35 - either a Summicron or a Summarit depending on how rich I was feeling.

A 2-lens set would probably be 35 and 50.

A 3-lens set would be 21, 35 and 50.

I actually have 15, 21, 28, 35, 50, 65(Visoflex) and 90... All of them CV apart from the 65mm Elmar. However I understand from Sean Reid that the 15 is 'problematic' on the M9, so only time will tell if that line-up is likely to last - I've rarely used either the 65 or 90 with the M8.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
3:

35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH, 90 Elmarit

or:

24 Lux, 35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH

2:

35 Cron ASPH, 50 Lux ASPH

or:

35 Cron ASPH, 75 APO Cron

1:

50 Lux ASPH

But really, I think 5 lenses is much better than 3-2-1. ;)

David

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
For me, it is back to my film days also. The 24 moves back into workhorse position, with the old 21mm SA seeing less use. The 28 'Cron likely gets a lot of work also. The 35 'Cron and 50 'Cron round out the lot. Mite take another look at a 75 also down the road.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Speed aside, I'm sure that the Tri-Elmar is going to become popular (again) as the focal lengths will now fit the M9 better than the M8. The better high ISO support likewise will likely compensate for the light gathering capabilities.

I'm looking back at the Leica glass I've bought and sold over the last few years and two of those lenses that I didn't really get on with on the M8, the Tri-Elmar and Noctilux, are both looking awfully attractive again for the M9.