The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 vs. M8.2 MTF graphs: Please could someone explain them in non-techincal terms.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
They say that there is no significant difference in image qualities as measured by MTF between an M8 and an M9.
This is mainly, as far as I can tell, due to the equivalent pixel pitch.
This just verifies what should be matching, which it does. Pay no attention to the junk above the Nyquist limit.
-bob

M

Mango

Bob, Thanks very much. So I guess the M8's demise is a bit premature.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The one difference that is NOT represented in that chart is the larger sensor.
So, there will be more pixels and those will be on the edges and the corners. All lenses have some degree of sharpness falloff in the corners, so with the M9, some more of that may be visible. The larger sensor will also result in shallower depth of field.
-bob

Christopher

Well one could argue that the M9 is an M8.5 with the same sensor a little refined and enlarged. Personally I was hoping for the newest generation of CCD Sensor and not the old 6.8 one, but we probably should be more than happy getting our FF M camera.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The 6.8 micron sensor make lenses appear sharper than one with a finer pitch.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Christopher,
I think that my theoretical point is correct.
as frequency goes up, contrast goes down. A sensor of finer pitch has the ability to discern higher frequencies if it is well constructed, so it also has the ability to expose a lens to a more demanding evaluation.
Resolution is a continuous function in the frequency domain, so it is not black and white (lol)
-bob

V

Vivek

A sensor of finer pitch has the ability to discern higher frequencies..
Bob, True. That is a key criterion in the digital domain. Amazing that a lowly Navitar 75/1.3 TV lens would outplay a Summilux 75 (on an m4/3rds sensor).